I think Lakers need to do anything in their power to get Redick in this years draft.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
Reddick is being WAY overrated.

6'4" slow, unathletic, plays in a GREAT system that hides ALL of his deficiencies on D and MOST of them on O as well. Can't create a shot for himself at the NBA level. Can't D up at the man level cause he's FAR too slow to guard the 1 and not strong enough or fast enough to guard the 2s.

Great collegiate player. Will be nothing more than a catch and shoot player at the next level.

While I agree he's slow...

He's polished a lot of offensive skills in the past 2 years.

Pull up jumper off the dribble.
Squaring to the basket on the move in midair for a high percentage shot.
Creating plays for teammates.
Being able to do more off the dribble isntead of relying on picks.

Unfortunately, it's a weak draft and he should go lotto. In the case of weak drafts, I tend to go for the real athletes and make projects out of them, James White... Rajon Rondo, etc.

If Redick was stronger, he'd be Kyle Korver, the SG version.

I agree with all that. Still though, it's not to the level you'd want.

Hey Mike, I'm also interested in James White. Love the athleticism and he has decent handles. What do you think are his chances of succeeding in the triangle?
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
daniel80111
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

6'4" slow, unathletic, plays in a GREAT system that hides ALL of his deficiencies on D and MOST of them on O as well. Can't create a shot for himself at the NBA level. Can't D up at the man level cause he's FAR too slow to guard the 1 and not strong enough or fast enough to guard the 2s.

Great collegiate player. Will be nothing more than a catch and shoot player at the next level.

Unfortunately, it's a weak draft and he should go lotto. In the case of weak drafts, I tend to go for the real athletes and make projects out of them, James White... Rajon Rondo, etc.

Mike remember we were talking about this earlier this year...I'm glad you got to see some more games and your assessment is accurate. Like I said, hes really come a long way since his freshman year. Another thing that makes him such a great prospect is the fact that he is the KOBE of college basketball. In the sense that he will often carry his team, he has so much desire to play the game, and his passion on the court is fiery as hell. I'd just love to see what he can do with Kobe because he's so offensively cerebral he would really work off Kobe well...I mean his off the ball movement is incredible, he's slow, white, unathletic yet he still finds open shots through sheer determination. Along with that his range is simply incredible. 3 or 4 feet behind the NBA 3 point line. Something you just can't deny is passion for the game, and he has it...and this team desperately needs guys that care about winning, bottom line.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

daniel80111 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Mike remember we were talking about this earlier this year...I'm glad you got to see some more games and your assessment is accurate. Like I said, hes really come a long way since his freshman year. Another thing that makes him such a great prospect is the fact that he is the KOBE of college basketball. In the sense that he will often carry his team, he has so much desire to play the game, and his passion on the court is fiery as hell. I'd just love to see what he can do with Kobe because he's so offensively cerebral he would really work off Kobe well...I mean his off the ball movement is incredible, he's slow, white, unathletic yet he still finds open shots through sheer determination. Along with that his range is simply incredible. 3 or 4 feet behind the NBA 3 point line. Something you just can't deny is passion for the game, and he has it...and this team desperately needs guys that care about winning, bottom line.

He moves off the ball well due to Duke's GREAT execution of the offense. Great screens, good ball movement, etc. He likely wouldn't get that in the triangle. Also, his confidence on his shot is bothersome. I know he CAN hit those 30' 3-pt bombs, but misses more than not and it's just not smart to play that way.

I'd like to draft him with a pick in the 20s. But, it's a weak draft and as Mike said, he's lotto because of it.

James White interests me. Rondo needs work on his shot more before I really get interested in him. Marcus Williams' passing ability is intriguing.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject:

Wow. Redick is no Kobe of basketball. He's not the only determined player out there.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject:

I've said it before, but I like Hilton Armstrong alot.

6'11" 240. Excellent athleticism, shot blocking, position defense.

I really think he's been overlooked with the quality bigs in front of him
during his tenure at UConn.

Any thoughts?
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Just the way that Morrison scores in all sorts of ways, post up, catch and shoot, off-the-dribble, and the hustle and tenacity he shows to go for EVERY rebound and looseball...shew...TOUGH.

Larry Bird-esque mixture of mentality. Just the way he plays despite the obvious lack of athleticism.

He's my CPOY. But you can't really go wrong with either.

Why is it when every white player is mentioned there is an obvious lack of athleticism? I mean, I understand that generally speaking they are not as athletic, but I think Morrison has a lot of altheticism, and some skill to boot. Just because he's not jumping over people doing slam dunks doesn't mean he's not athletic. The kids excelling at an athletic sport, he's an athlete. Thus he has plenty.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
daniel80111 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

He moves off the ball well due to Duke's GREAT execution of the offense. Great screens, good ball movement, etc. He likely wouldn't get that in the triangle.
Quote:
Also, his confidence on his shot is bothersome. I know he CAN hit those 30' 3-pt bombs, but misses more than not and it's just not smart to play that way.

I'd like to draft him with a pick in the 20s. But, it's a weak draft and as Mike said, he's lotto because of it.

James White interests me. Rondo needs work on his shot more before I really get interested in him. Marcus Williams' passing ability is intriguing.

He's shooting 50% from the floor, 44% from 3 point land.. that is phenonminal, especially for a guard...

Look at his career stats at Duke: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=11144

He's carrying Duke right now... And I'll say it again... he is battle tested, he has ice in his veins... Not many players can stand up to the abuse he gets (i.e. Kwame)... He won't be a superstar in the L,.. but he will have some success...

I don't see how the Lakers can get him.. he will be gone by the time the Lakers pick.. and I don't see moving up to get him... they have other needs....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Wow. Redick is no Kobe of basketball. He's not the only determined player out there.

I know... I just have a soft spot for players that improve their skill set constantly.

How many guys come out of high school with uber skills and athleticism, but then they remain stagnant?

I know it's the law of diminishing returns... ie, Reddick can't keep getting better at a high rate. Eentually, it will level off, and whatever team ends up with him will have to deal with the ceiling in his defense, athleticism, and PG skills. I am NOT in the camp that feels that LAL needs to do "whatever necessary" to acquire him.

I just often tire of players with the world before them who, for whatever reason, hit their ceiling when it looks like they could just go up and up (funny after watching Stromile Swift last night). I appreciate when someone works on their game to realize their niche in the world of professional basketball.

Unfortunately, that is what Reddick will be... a "niche" player. Not worth lottery.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

LakerJosh wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
Just the way that Morrison scores in all sorts of ways, post up, catch and shoot, off-the-dribble, and the hustle and tenacity he shows to go for EVERY rebound and looseball...shew...TOUGH.

Larry Bird-esque mixture of mentality. Just the way he plays despite the obvious lack of athleticism.

Why is it when every white player is mentioned there is an obvious lack of athleticism? I mean, I understand that generally speaking they are not as athletic, but I think Morrison has a lot of altheticism, and some skill to boot. Just because he's not jumping over people doing slam dunks doesn't mean he's not athletic. The kids excelling at an athletic sport, he's an athlete. Thus he has plenty.

He DOES lack athleticism. He gets by on great determination, mental toughness, and being supremely SKILLED. If he could grow another two inches, he could really turn out great. Might turn out great in spite of his disadvantages.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

LakerJosh wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

For the same reason why (as an example) Kerr, Paxson, Stockton, Kirk H., Jon Berry, are called a 'smart' b-ball player and players like Rip Hamilton, Amare, TJ Ford, Iggy are considered 'athletic' or have 'natural ability'. I don't agree with at all... but it cuts both ways...

Unless you are talking about the MP3, that boy can ball...

Last edited by TACH on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Getting into position to draft Reddick is definitely not impossible. This is a weak draft class this year and most teams are gonna be looking to trade up. There's no bona fide franchise player in the draft this year, even the top players (Morrison, Gay, Aldridge) have huge question marks. Those guys wouldn't have gone top 10 in most drafts of the past few years, IMO. A bad team is not gonna draft Reddick, he's not a #1 scorer. I think some teams will look at him and think "Mike Dunleavey". But he WOULD be a GREAT fit on this team. He'd get a ton of open looks and is just the three point threat we need. I honestly think we'd be able to get him for a big (Maybe Kwame or Mihm, either of whom I think is expendable once Bynum and Turiaf come along)
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Getting into position to draft Reddick is definitely not impossible. This is a weak draft class this year and most teams are gonna be looking to trade up. There's no bona fide franchise player in the draft this year, even the top players (Morrison, Gay, Aldridge) have huge question marks. Those guys wouldn't have gone top 10 in most drafts of the past few years, IMO. A bad team is not gonna draft Reddick, he's not a #1 scorer. I think some teams will look at him and think "Mike Dunleavey". But he WOULD be a GREAT fit on this team. He'd get a ton of open looks and is just the three point threat we need. I honestly think we'd be able to get him for a big (Maybe Kwame or Mihm, either of whom I think is expendable once Bynum and Turiaf come along)

I'm not a Kwame fan... but to give him up for an unproven college player is a little much for me. Mihm is completely out of the question! Would you trade Kwame for Dunleavey???
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I know he's also not superathletic and he gambles on D. But Mike Gansey is actually attainable and would be a great pickup for us. He shoots .60% and .48% from 3 with 2.3 steals and 5.5 rebounds. He's sort of a poor man's Reddick but with better D.
I don't know. Just seeing Kobe having some sort of safety valve w/ Cook makes me even more sure that shooters are the way to go.
Gansey may even fall to the 2nd round, but he should definitely be available w/ the Miami pick. He's way more athletic and defense capable than a Kapono.
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Reddick is a great college player but I can't see him becoming a great NBA player ... maybe a damn good one but not great. He is defeintely not worth giving up an established player.

Probasketball.com has Randy Foye of Villanova falling down to us. He is actually an excellent fit for our team ... a tall (6'4") multi-skilled guard who can shoot the three (37.5%), handles the ball fairly well, and is a good rebounder (5 per game). In the games I have seen him play his defense was also pretty good.
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Just_Looking wrote:
Reddick is a great college player but I can't see him becoming a great NBA player ... maybe a damn good one but not great. He is defeintely not worth giving up an established player.

Probasketball.com has Randy Foye of Villanova falling down to us. He is actually an excellent fit for our team ... a tall (6'4") multi-skilled guard who can shoot the three (37.5%), handles the ball fairly well, and is a good rebounder (5 per game). In the games I have seen him play his defense was also pretty good.

Don't forget though, the college three is much closer... he basically shoots under 40% from 21 feet.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Just_Looking wrote:

Randy Foye? Snooooore. Sounds like a typical Kupchak zero impact draft pick.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Just_Looking wrote:

Randy Foye? Snooooore. Sounds like a typical Kupchak zero impact draft pick.

And they've got my guy Hilton Armstrong going #22.

I'm telling ya, good pick for us in the mid-20's with Miami's pick.

I'd still rather trade the pick (rookie K will cut into 2007 cap space)...

...but if we keep it I'm really liking Armstrong out of what will actually be left at that spot.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerJosh wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

If he was that athletic, Gonzago wouldn't have to hide him on defense playing zone.

Athleticism shows on both ends of the floor. Morrison can't guard a rock.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LakerJosh wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

For the same reason why (as an example) Kerr, Paxson, Stockton, Kirk H., Jon Berry, are called a 'smart' b-ball player and players like Rip Hamilton, Amare, TJ Ford, Iggy are considered 'athletic' or have 'natural ability'. I don't agree with at all... but it cuts both ways...

Unless you are talking about the MP3, that boy can ball...

It's not even a color issue. Those players simply weren't elitely athletic.

Contrast that to.. Andrei Kirilenko. Think anyone says he's a slouch athletically? Chris Kaman? Andreis Biedrins? Ginobili?

You'll never hear about their lack of athleticism. They are well rounded athletically.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Smel Counts wrote:
I know he's also not superathletic and he gambles on D. But Mike Gansey is actually attainable and would be a great pickup for us. He shoots .60% and .48% from 3 with 2.3 steals and 5.5 rebounds. He's sort of a poor man's Reddick but with better D.
I don't know. Just seeing Kobe having some sort of safety valve w/ Cook makes me even more sure that shooters are the way to go.
Gansey may even fall to the 2nd round, but he should definitely be available w/ the Miami pick. He's way more athletic and defense capable than a Kapono.

Gansey is a 2nd rounder or undrafted player.

It'll show in individual workouts. He's just a perfect fit for the WVU offensive system.

daniel80111
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

He's not Kobe of course, but you know a guy is tough, mature and battle tested when the crowd is talking of having sex with your mentally stunted sister and the Maryland crowd is chanting in unison "F@#$ you JJ." And then he hits both free throws as usual. Kobe would love to have this guy on his team.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

^You speak as if he's the only player exposed to that.

You have no idea.

Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

daniel80111 wrote:
He's not Kobe of course, but you know a guy is tough, mature and battle tested when the crowd is talking of having sex with your mentally stunted sister and the Maryland crowd is chanting in unison "F@#$ you JJ." And then he hits both free throws as usual. Kobe would love to have this guy on his team.

I'd want anyone w/ an easy sister on my team.
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I hate Duke haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
daniel80111
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Well for a guy who has the odds against him, he sure comes through...he's white, slow, unathletic, not very smart outside of basketball, as I know several people that know him personally, but he helps his team win. That's all that matters in the end. Of course I think there are better propects out there...but for this team I think he's a great fit, and there is a possibility that he would be drafted in the mid 1st round. Which is where we will probably be. Keep coming with the good analysis Mike, not many b ball experts around anymore. haha but I do know more than anyone on this board about FOOTBALL, but who cares.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: