Life After Phil

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Life After Phil

So we’re in the triangle offense this season and the next two while Phil is around. For argument’s sake, let’s assume he does not re-sign after that (age, health, etc.). If Phil leaves after year 3 we have the option of either finding a coach who sticks with the triangle or going with a different offensive system. Given Phil is really the only coach out there using the triangle, we’ll probably have to use a new system. But will the players we have at that point in time really work in a different system?

If Phil stays true to his past he’ll look to surround Kobe with guys who fit the triangle. Those guys tend to be older intelligent veteran players with one or two specific skills who accept their roles, play good team D, and lack athletic ability – ie Ron Harper, Brian Shaw, Paxson, Kerr, Fox, etc. He’s already started down that path this year with McKie, who fits that profile perfectly (except for the fact he hasn’t played). When Phil left the Bulls and the Lakers, each team was stuck with essentially a roster full of scrubs, because the value of those role players is amplified within the triangle and very diminished without it. Sure, MJ and Shaq leaving hurt those teams a lot, but really the rest of the guys on each of those teams (except Kobe) lost a lot of their value because they didn’t have the triangle to rely on.

3 years out we’ll have an older Kobe/Odom and a hopefully heavily contributing Bynum and a roster full of scrubs – close to today’s situation. Outside of the triangle in today’s NBA you need a ton of athleticism to compete – look at Detroit, Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio, etc.

So the question is: When looking to acquire new players today, do we lean towards players that fit the right profile for the triangle or towards more athletic players who might fit better into a motion or pick and roll kind of offense? Ideally you have players like a Marion, KG, or Kobe where it doesn’t matter what system they’re in, but I’m talking about supporting players here. Really this boils down to whether we’re trying to win a championship with Phil or is Phil helping us rebuild and then handing off the torch? What do you guys think?
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

We just need a player who will listen to Phil or whoever the coach and who will run his plays correctly.

Last edited by KBandKB on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Be very careful. I just posted a thread about how B. Scott might make a great Lakers head coach some day after Phil retires (again).

It was thrown into the Chicken Little, Piss and Moan section. Therefore, you shouldn't talk about what might happen after Phil is gone. It's considered Pissing and Moaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

BShaw will be our next coach. he is a tri. guy. PJ will be in the front office. It will be the same o sames o. We just need talent
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers should fire Phil and trade for KG.

Do it Mitch!!!!

In all seriousness I think if Phil has success with the Lakers in these three years (and I think he will), he'll stick around to try to get them to the championship and this will probably be moot. I would guess if he splits after this contract then it's cause the Lakers are going nowhere anyway. Plus, that would be in the summer of 2008 and if LA hasn't signed any big FAs in 2007 then they'll probably be looking to make major changes that year anyway. Also, if that's the case, there won't be a lot of players under contract bogging down the roster.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:

I think it's halfway through Phil's first season and he may well be extended if the team is contending by his 3rd year. In any event, you mention that by Phil's 3rd year we'll have Kobe/Odom and a more mature Bynum, but you forget that we'll also have a max contract caliber player or 2 lesser very good ones by then. That would definitely put us in contention and I see no way Phil leaves that on the table when he wants to win another ring so badly (and he does).

I suppose my answer then to your question then is that, no, I don't think Phil is just helping us rebuild with the goal of handing the torch to anyone. I think HE fully believes that having Kobe puts us 1 player away from championship caliber team, so he's training the supporting cast to be ready for the time when we can sign that 2nd star to put next to Kobe and Odom.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
Be very careful. I just posted a thread about how B. Scott might make a great Lakers head coach some day after Phil retires (again).

It was thrown into the Chicken Little, Piss and Moan section. Therefore, you shouldn't talk about what might happen after Phil is gone. It's considered Pissing and Moaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tsk tsk tsk. You're mis-representing what you posted. You actually said you though B-Scott should be the Lakers coach, not the coach after Phil retires. There IS a difference. Had you posted "after Phil retires" it wouldn't have been thrown into the Piss and Moan...
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

Your crap is getting old.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

Just so you know, so are comments like this. :roll:
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:

Tsk tsk tsk. You're mis-representing what you posted. You actually said you though B-Scott should be the Lakers coach, not the coach after Phil retires. There IS a difference. Had you posted "after Phil retires" it wouldn't have been thrown into the Piss and Moan...

No, I'm not mis-representing what I posted nor did I ever suggest Byron Scott should have been hired OVER Phil Jackson.

All I said was Byron should have been a canidate after Phil left the Lakers. Here are my comments...

Quote:
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:54 pm Post subject: Byron Scott should have been considered for the Lakers job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not trying to disrespect Phil Jackson. This has more to do with Byron Scott and the summer Rudy T was hired.

I continue to think about Byron Scott because I was surprised he was never mentioned as a candidate for the Lakers coaching job after coach K turned down the offer. Byron was not with the Hornets at that time.

blah, blah, blah...

Byron Scott would make a great Lakers head coach. Imagine B. Scott as the Lakers head coach with Rambis and Kareem as assistant coaches. These guys would give everything they had for the Lakers organization! It would be more than a job with these guys.

p.s. JD, I'm not sure why you thought it was pissing and moaning. Nevertheless, it's your show and your call.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
BShaw will be our next coach. he is a tri. guy. PJ will be in the front office. It will be the same o sames o. We just need talent

The triangle is here for life , steelers running game = Lakers Triangle offensive muahhhhhhhhh....
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:

That's exactly what I had heard. In fact, I thought I heard the AM570 suggest it at one time when Frank Hamblen had to take over for Rudy T. last season.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject:

What about Kareem?
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject:

Pretty damn sad. Let's not think so pessimistic.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject:

I think with whomever our max-contract-type addition is, we have a shot
at legit contention by Phil's 3rd year.

Add that guy to Kobe, Lamar, Bynum and Mihm, and factor in the two
years of tri-experience they all start with at that point, and I feel pretty
good about us.

In other words, I leave it (mostly) in Phil's hands. Triangle-fit type players
are perfectly fine with me.

Maybe put some weight into any MAJOR peice being added (like the max
contract addition player) as being a player who can play in either system.
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

True, true.

Brian Shaw all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject:

after Phil retires...Lakers should get Rick Carlisle. The man is a stud coach.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

Coach K! For real, man. There is no better recruiter than Coach K. He'll hopefully get tired of Duke once he realizes there are no more championships to be won once reddick leaves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
PJ will be in the front office.

That would surprise me. I don't think Jimmy Buss would want Phil to have any real decision making power, and I don't think Phil would hang around without it. I expect Phil's relationship with the Lakers to end once he is no longer head coach.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that the thread was thrown into the Piss and Moan thread because there was pissing and moaning in it, not because you decided to talk about what might happen after Phil is gone.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

why are you complaining???...the piss & moan thread immortalized your post...so be happy. The 1st ever post in that thread dated way back middle of last year.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: