Why do we have a D-League team if we don't use it?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Why do we have a D-League team if we don't use it?

I think A-Bomb, Sasha and Wafer could all benefit from some D-League action. Green and Turiaf can contribute right now so they could stay.

But those 3, A-Bomb and Wafer barely play so it would not hurt the team to send 'em there, and Sasha has the talent but he needs to improve on a lot of things that are only improved with playing action, and having him playing so he can commit mistakes is something we can't afford.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hell, why do we have a D-League team if we don't use it?

AirKobe8 wrote:
I think A-Bomb, Sasha and Wafer could all benefit from some D-League action. Green and Turiaf can contribute right now so they could stay.

But those 3, A-Bomb and Wafer barely play so it would not hurt the team to send 'em there, and Sasha has the talent but he needs to improve on a lot of things that are only improved with playing action, and having him playing so he can commit mistakes is something we can't afford.

Because our D league CBA players start and play significant minutes.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hell, why do we have a D-League team if we don't use it?

OdomX2 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

But out of those I mentioned only Sasha plays significant minutes, and I think Devin Green could be our backup PG while Sasha goes there.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:

From my perspective, the whole problem is that "we" don't have a D-league team. We share one, which means we can't run it as we like, teaching the triangle and prioritizing minutes for the people that need to work on certain things. I think the draft needs to be (re)extended to 4 rounds, and each team needs its own NBDL team run as a proper minor league team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hell, why do we have a D-League team if we don't use it?

AirKobe8 wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

But out of those I mentioned only Sasha plays significant minutes, and I think Devin Green could be our backup PG while Sasha goes there.

This is just a question, not an attack,.. but what have you seen out of Green that makes you think he should be the back up to Smush? Is it because of his play, or lack of 'play' by Smush's current back-up Sasha?

Last edited by TACH on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hell, why do we have a D-League team if we don't use it?

TACH wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

This is just a question, not an attack,.. but what have you seen out of Green that makes you think he should be the back up to Smush? Is it because of his play, or lack of by 'play' Smush's current back-up Sasha?

Devin Green at PG would be temporary, wheter until McKie gets back or Sasha improves, but I only suggested him cuz he's been showing signs of good ball IQ and quick learning of the tri.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:

The unfortunate truth at the moment is the Lakers are short on warm bodies for practice. With Mckie and Slava down for the entire season, Profit now gone, and Turiaf at least a month away from being able to provide anything much more than heart and hustle - the Lakers need every available man just to simply role play in practices. Also, Phils original thinking was that the young players would be better served learning both the tri and their teammates tendencies than they would be developing in the D-League which wasn't playing the same system. Green is actually starting to see some floor time, and it certainly seems that he's picked up the nuances of Tri spacing pretty quickly. Bynum can't play against the likes of Shaq,Duncan, and Garnett in the D-League and his brief stints have been awesome for his confidence. That along with the personal tutelage of Kareem is reason enough for him to stay away from D-League. And considering that Wafers primary problem is that he's been slow to pick up the Tri, I think it's imperative that he remain with the A team since he needs more schooling than anyone else.

For most other teams in the league, the NBDL can be a useful tool. But it really isn't very useful at all for the Lakers because of the system they run. Learning the system is more paramount to success than basketball fundamentals and the best way to learn is to actually practice in it everyday under the direction of those best equipped to teach it...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
The unfortunate truth at the moment is the Lakers are short on warm bodies for practice. With Mckie and Slava down for the entire season, Profit now gone, and Turiaf at least a month away from being able to provide anything much more than heart and hustle - the Lakers need every available man just to simply role play in practices. Also, Phils original thinking was that the young players would be better served learning both the tri and their teammates tendencies than they would be developing in the D-League which wasn't playing the same system. Green is actually starting to see some floor time, and it certainly seems that he's picked up the nuances of Tri spacing pretty quickly. Bynum can't play against the likes of Shaq,Duncan, and Garnett in the D-League and his brief stints have been awesome for his confidence. That along with the personal tutelage of Kareem is reason enough for him to stay away from D-League. And considering that Wafers primary problem is that he's been slow to pick up the Tri, I think it's imperative that he remain with the A team since he needs more schooling than anyone else.

For most other teams in the league, the NBDL can be a useful tool. But it really isn't very useful at all for the Lakers because of the system they run. Learning the system is more paramount to success than basketball fundamentals and the best way to learn is to actually practice in it everyday under the direction of those best equipped to teach it...

Just because it is an option doesn't mean that it is always a good option for every team.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:

If you send a player to the D league does he have to stay there for a certain amount of time before you bring him back up?

The reason I ask is, when our Mhim gets back, couldn't they send AB to the D league for like a week and 3 or 4 games and get 80 to 90 min under his belt?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: