The Kobe-Lance Armstrong connection...from BSPN

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: The Kobe-Lance Armstrong connection...from BSPN

Quote:
Kobe Inspired By Pedal Prince

He said he's never met him. But there's a connection between the athletic inspiration the seven-time winner of the Tour de France has delivered and the success Kobe Bryant is having this year.

I talked with Kobe before the Feb. 7 Lakers-Mavericks game in Dallas for NBA-TV.

So, Kobe, who's your hero?

"Lance Armstrong."

Not only his hero, but he's taking training cues from the world's most dominant cyclist. He told me that trainers at Nike who work with himself and Armstrong, respectively, have talked and helped develop a conditioning approach in the offseason that brought his body to a new level.

What impressed Kobe most about Lance is his "burst", the way he separates himself from other competitors. What he especially liked was how that burst just mentally and physically demoralizes the competition.

Kobe said he really wanted to pattern himself on that training. He talked about his new offseason regimen, focusing on things like muscle memory, shooting position, fast-twitch muscle development, boxing drills, agility drills and track time

He said much was accomplished during what he called, "blackout periods" -- times that are dedicated strictly to workouts, with his personal, public and business responsibilities put on hold.

All for the Lance-like burst. The burst certainly showed the night he scored 81.

Of course, everyone's been asking him about 81. But I told him that 81 must have happened in the summer, not on Jan. 22 against the Raptors.

When I said this, he looked at first like "girl, where are you going with this?"

He knew. Eventually, our talk led to Lance. So now the season is more than halfway over. It's time for Kobe to show that burst in the mountains of an NBA stretch run.

-- Nancy Lieberman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060213
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KoolMo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

Excellent information and in my estimation the perfect approach. An NBA season is a marathon therefore endurance is supreme. Not many other athletes have endurance like armstrong. This should set him up for several incredible years of peak performance.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

For the life of me why all professional atheletes don't have an Armstrong like training. Much more monitored and measured to track progress.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:
For the life of me why all professional atheletes don't have an Armstrong like training. Much more monitored and measured to track progress.

That's what seperates the 'good' from the great; the 'stars' from the 'superstars'....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ningtong88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I told him that 81 must have happened in the summer, not on Jan. 22 against the Raptors

[
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Lakersfield wrote:

That's what seperates the 'good' from the great; the 'stars' from the 'superstars'....

Precisely. And you can' train someone to be great. Greatness either resides in someone or it does not. It's the personal drive that causes athletes like Kobe and Armstrong to do all the "Extra" things they do to stay on top. Exceedingly few people have that drive.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:

Great work ethic guys:

Lance Armstrong

Jerry Rice

Kobe Bryant

Jake Speed, 1986
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
Great work ethic guys:

Lance Armstrong

Jerry Rice

Kobe Bryant

Add Walter Payton.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject:

armstrong is a fraud and a cheater.
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:

bambam wrote:

damn...

practice? we talkin about practice man!
LALfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

bambam wrote:

angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Armstrong has been accused a lot by the French, who hate the fact that an American has gone there to win their event 7 times. He has been accused for years and cleared each time. Lance Armstrong is also a cancer survivor. He fought back against tremendous adversity. He's a man who refused to quit and refused to lose. He has won more TDFs than anyone else in the history of the event. He has been dominant in the same sense as Tiger Woods.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:

You could pump me full of as many drugs as you'd like and I still would not be able to ride through the mountains of France on a bike for a month and win 7 times in a row. Drugs or not, that's over-the-top impressive. Unless they find litttle motors installed in his joints, and a battery operaged pump assisting his heart, I really don't care if the man was on drugs or not, because what the man put the human body through to prevail 7 times is nothing short of amazing. I'd brobably be even a bit more impressed if he did manage to do it on drugs without blowing out his heart over that long of a timeframe. That would be some serious voodoo witches brew concoctions and he'd be one heck of a self-made doctor. Heck, maybe he'd be willing to give up the formula to the Lakers. They could make good use of some undetectable-super-humanizing-awe inspiring -drive creating- wonder drug!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Imagine French fans not liking Americans. What a concept?
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerJosh wrote:
TEEGUNN wrote:
Great work ethic guys:

Lance Armstrong

Jerry Rice

Kobe Bryant

Add Walter Payton.

Snaq O'Meal
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:

Do you work for L'Equipe???
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
bambam wrote:

Do you work for L'Equipe???

No - he works for 'Le Coq Sportif'
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: