Marc Stein's Power Rankings: Lakers moving down

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Marc Stein's Power Rankings: Lakers moving down

Rank (last week)
18 (14)
Lakers 25-25

The schedule should help Lakers from here: 20 of their final 32 games are at home. Of course, at 1-5 in February, it suddenly looks like Kobe needs a lot of help.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:

damn 18? ouch.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:

Jazz are 17th and the Lakers 18th.
I always like when two teams that are close in the Power Rankings play each other the night before they come out and the lower ranked team beats the higher one, especially when they kick them around and toy with them like the Lakers did the Jazz last night. I'm sure it makes Stein a little crazy.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

Well you couldn't have expected them to go up with the way they've been playing.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
Well you couldn't have expected them to go up with the way they've been playing.

But considering we're one of the teams in the top 16, we shouldn't be lower than that. Last night proved it when we beat the Jazz and it shows just how dumb Stein is.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

Very true, but the whole power ranking has to do with a picture in time. It represents at that moment in time how well the teams are playing and ranking them with respect to that not with respect to their record. Truth is the Lakers have been playing like the 18th best team in the league. But as you said from a collective season standpoint the Lakers should be ranked at the very least 16.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:

But considering we're one of the teams in the top 16, we shouldn't be lower than that. Last night proved it when we beat the Jazz and it shows just how dumb Stein is.

lakers are 1-5 in feb, jaz are 4-2... nothing wrong with it.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:

Stein is actually one of the few basketball writers that doesn't sound like a lunatic most of the time. Even after all the years he's been doing it, people still don't get the Power Rankings. They are updated on a weekly basis. The rankings indicate not necessarily the overall rank of teams for the season, but how they are playing during the previous week. You really think he thinks the Spurs and Mavs are better than the Pistons overall? He doesn't. And he doesn't think the Jazz are better than the Lakers either.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

^^ I understand what the power rankings are about, but I don't agree with them all the time just the same. I believe it's mostly because Mark Stein has proven to have a bias against the Lakers that I don't like his power rankings. Sometimes you wonder if it really is based on a week by week basis as some of his rankings don't make sense. If anything, all that list is is his opinion of where a team is at. And I don't agree with his opinion all the time.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
I believe it's mostly because Mark Stein has proven to have a bias against the Lakers that I don't like his power rankings.

We must be reading different stuff because Stein has been one of the only guys over the past couple years that haven't shown (to me anyway) to have any particular bias but especially not one toward the Lakers.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
I believe it's mostly because Mark Stein has proven to have a bias against the Lakers that I don't like his power rankings.

We must be reading different stuff because Stein has been one of the only guys over the past couple years that haven't shown (to me anyway) to have any particular bias but especially not one toward the Lakers.

agreed
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
Exick wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

agreed

You have your own opinions, I have mine. I don't expect everyone to see the world in entirely the same light.
dadliboi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

I hate to say it, but we deserve that rank. It just pains me to think that NO has a better record than us. We haven't even cracked 5 games above .500 yet, and that's where NO is. Tough pill to swallow.
G1 Hydrogenic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:

Well...it's kinda deserved you know.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:

dadliboi wrote:
I hate to say it, but we deserve that rank. It just pains me to think that NO has a better record than us. We haven't even cracked 5 games above .500 yet, and that's where NO is. Tough pill to swallow.

Two words: Byron Scott.

BScott is the real deal. Half the OKC Hornets roster is made up of 4 rookies and 3 players with only 1 year of NBA experience. That is a very young team with little to no NBA experience. In addition, they only have two veterans with any real experience who are 36 year old PJ Brown and Desmond Mason.

I’m a big fan of Byron as a head coach. He’s proven again that he belongs in the NBA as a head coach.

The Lakers could take a page out of their book. The OKC Hornets are not afraid to make trades, such as Desmond Mason + an unconditional 1st round pick, Aaron Williams and now Moochie. These are not big moves but they are making a big impact on their team.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Power rankings don't mean overall. It means where we've been as of late. 18th is perfect. We've been horrendous.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
Power rankings don't mean overall. It means where we've been as of late. 18th is perfect. We've been horrendous.

Yeah, Power Rankings are a combination of overall and recent trend.

If you just won 10 games in a row, to put your record to 10-65, you're
still not gonna be near the top of the chart

Likewise if ya just lost 10 to end up 65-10, you're still not gonna be on
the bottom.

It's a bit of both.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
tgf5 wrote:

Yeah, Power Rankings are a combination of overall and recent trend.

If you just won 10 games in a row, to put your record to 10-65, you're
still not gonna be near the top of the chart

Likewise if ya just lost 10 to end up 65-10, you're still not gonna be on
the bottom.

It's a bit of both.

Well at 10-65, those wins are insignificant and since half of the league is winning games and the other half is losing as well, hard to put them at the top.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: