How the Lakers can win the majority of the remaining games...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: How the Lakers can win the majority of the remaining games...

Ok, this might be very obvious but I feel the Lakers should start out the 6 minutes of each game aggressive on defense. It really does set the tempo of the game, and for a team of scrubs/inexperienced players like this, we can rely on our defense more than our offense to be more consistent. I know it will expend a lot of energy and might hurt the offense a bit, but overall it should be worth it.

Last night's game was huge. Admit it ppl, there was no gurantee that the Lakers were gonna come out in the first quarter and just give it to the Jazz. That kind of energy and effort was really unexpected or at least definitly not guranteed. It really sort of kept this season alive in a way, even if we got sloppy at the end.

It's funny, because this entire Laker season has been a rollercoaster ride, it always seems like the Lakers get into a hole they cant get out of and the season is doomed...but they somehow turn it around, ie:

-going a few games below .500 losing close ones to those awful teams at home at the beginning of the season...and then going on a 5-1 roadtrip

-losing to miami on christmas day and then losing a few close ones in a row, but turning it around in january with big wins against miami and cleveland

-losing to portland and then seemingly a blowout loss at home to the raptors...but turning it into a blowout (the opposite way, altho Kobe can probably be given most of the credit here...)

-and i feel last night's game was the same situation, a bad road trip, and a game given away at home and a chance by an opponent to take knock us out of the playoffs...but we pulled through

i really hope we're making progress, and at the very least hope we can continue getting ourselves out of the hole should we dig another one...

a playoff series this year would really help this squad and provide valuable experience...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject:

It is very important that come out aggressive like that at home.

You can't allow the opposing team to catch fire. Because when they do, even when you play defense - they mantain hitting some tough shots.

That's the way it is.

Good points overall.

Team defense
Kobe's effeciency
Odom's head in the game
Smush/Cook stepping in as 2nd/3rd option

That's what it will take.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Magic'sSon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:

^^^^Nice suggestions guys or we can clone Kobe and start all 5 of em!

PG-Kobe Johnson
SG-Kobe Bryant
SF-Kobe Bird
PF-Kobe Duncan
C-Kobe Abdul-Jabbar
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

Agreed except I worry about the officiating. If they decide to have itchy trigger fingers the Lakers are basically screwed the rest of the game. Remember that Indiana game in the first half Kobe, Lamar, Smush had 2 fouls and Kwame with Mihm had 3. I believe that really killed them the rest of the game.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

I alsways harp on thier defense and believe that, if they play tough D, they will get it done. However,

AvePPG, Wins
Lakers 104.7
Opponents 94.2

AvePPG, Loss
Lakers 91.2
Opponents 99.7

The delta for points between wins and losses indicates we need more offense, not defense.

However (again), defense sparks the offense.

Wolf's summary hits it on the head.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

play defense.... and i think kobe needs to become a tad more aggressive than he has been as of late.
Im all for "team play" but some of these guys dont show up night to night and the tri needs everyone to play if kobe is gonna sacrafice his individual scoring.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

trade LO for a viable 2nd option
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:

"trade LO for a viable 2nd option"

thats basically la ateral move at this point, without a facilitator, we wont be able to take much advantage of that 2nd option at this point (unless its a superstar ie KG or something), as many have stated: might as well hold onto lamar either as part of the big picture or trade bait for the future

...man Chris Bosh would be awesome on this team, kid has a great atitude and can shoot really well and is consisently takin it to the rack for pts or getting calls, if trading LO for penny and scrubs would clear space, and somehow we can guranteed signing bosh next yr by offering him a max....
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:

Obsess much????????
Philostrator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Don't get them to the free throw line for easy buckets, meaning Lakers should not attempt
many personal fouls especially in the 4th quarter.

In the offensive side, I'm liking how the Lakers are starting to attack the paint, but the problem with their game on Memphis and Utah is that
they started to get soft in the 4th quarter and usually have problems finishing the game (this is what they need to work on, they can't handle the pressure very well, the key is to trust their killer instincts)
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
bounty wrote:

Obsess much????????

Ya think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
PrplReign wrote:
bounty wrote:

Obsess much????????

Ya think?

What if might be able to get a second option without trading the second option? Isn't that the nature of the rumors that have been all over LG and CL? How do you like them apples.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Agressive defense from the start sounds like an obviously good idea. This team doesn't exactly have the talent to win by scoring 110 points on any given night, so they're going to have to be all about defense. Unless, of course, we end up trading for another legit scoring threat. Until then, defense is the name of the game for this team.

On offense, obviously the other guys not named Kobe have to step up. I think the last few games they've done a solid job of that. Of course, you can't count on those other guys every night, so they have to become more consistent. I also think we need to fast break more often, because when teams force us into a stagnant, halfcourt game, it seems that's when Kobe needs to take 30+ shots for us to have a chance. However, to do that, we need to play better defense and control our defensive boards.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Ank wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
PrplReign wrote:
bounty wrote:

Obsess much????????

Ya think?

What if might be able to get a second option without trading the second option? Isn't that the nature of the rumors that have been all over LG and CL? How do you like them apples.

I would love them apples.

Infact, I would like two of them apple trees to be delilvered our way.

Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:

RJBaca wrote:
I alsways harp on thier defense and believe that, if they play tough D, they will get it done. However,

AvePPG, Wins
Lakers 104.7
Opponents 94.2

AvePPG, Loss
Lakers 91.2
Opponents 99.7

The delta for points between wins and losses indicates we need more offense, not defense.

However (again), defense sparks the offense.

Wolf's summary hits it on the head.

Yes--- RKJ - I sort of agree here...

DEFENSE needs to be #1goal, but we also need to score...
since we arent in the top defense echelon or any...

Im amazed at how many times we dont even get a shot attempt, let alone a desparation 3 ("TO" GALORE...3 seconds, Charging, etc...)
There are times we just dont play...

I can recall needing a 3rd Scoring to compete for the Bling...
Now playing .500 ball, you need a consistent 2nd Scorer...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: