missing

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kwame54Brown
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: missing

Many of you guys said we lost 2 in a row without Odom, and we aren't doing good without Mihm, so stop bashing Odom, but Odom is worth $15 million, which means if we didn't have Odom at all we would have gotten somebody else to take his spot, who would most likely do way better than Odom, because you barely ever see a player that isn't really good and has a $15 million contract.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Change the vague title to something more specific.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

That is one long sentance!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=18269
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Lamar makes $11.45 million
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:

too....many...commas. must...find....point....
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Lol, I looked at this thread title and then the author, and I thought it was gonig to say something along the lines of "Missing: A pair of hands, kinda small and not strong enough to grip stuff. If you find them, call me. Kwame"
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject:

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is just how wrapped up people are in Kwame and Odoms salaries. Dr. Buss is the one who has to actually write the check and he doesn't seem to mind so it's just mind-boggling why so many other people pay so much attention to what these men earn...It's almost as if the money was coming out of their own pockets. Every man get's to spend HIS money any way HE sees fit and Dr. Buss has chosen to pay both Kwame and Odom their respective salaries. If he ever tires of it, then I'm sure he'll give someone else the opportunity to pay them and I guarantee there are others willing to pay them the same salaries as well....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
One thing that never ceases to amaze me is just how wrapped up people are in Kwame and Odoms salaries.

B/C teams that spend the wisest win rings. In all sports. I was saying the same thing in regards to LO's absence. We out RB'ed the other team in one of the games. The rest of the crew picked up the slack in that dept. What we were missing was the 12mil $$$$. Like we are when he is in the game. We are better off getting a 7mil. player and a 5mil player for LO if we cant get an RLewis, Bosh type
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Everyone is getting maxed out these days. Kmart has a max contract. Francis has a max. Marbuy has a max. Would you trade any of those guys for Odom, cus I wouldn't. Salaries are just up all over, that's all. Bidding wars and players having more say means that Kwame gets 7-9mil. Hell, Butler got paid 9mil too. That's just the way its going. Think of Artest. He was actually hard to move because he was so cheap. You need salary to trade for good players. Odom isn't overpaid. Kwame wasn't overpaid for what we thought he'd bring. Gamble didn't pay off. Maybe the next risk we take will.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
One thing that never ceases to amaze me is just how wrapped up people are in Kwame and Odoms salaries.

B/C teams that spend the wisest win rings. In all sports. I was saying the same thing in regards to LO's absence. We out RB'ed the other team in one of the games. The rest of the crew picked up the slack in that dept. What we were missing was the 12mil $$$$. Like we are when he is in the game. We are better off getting a 7mil. player and a 5mil player for LO if we cant get an RLewis, Bosh type

The most important thing the Lakers lacked in Odom's absense was wins. Take Odom off the floor and that team isn't going to win very many games and that's a fact. Hate Odom all you want, but there is no denying that he's needed for THIS team to win and that makes him worthy of whatever the market will pay him - his current salary....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
bounty wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

The most important thing the Lakers lacked in Odom's absense was wins. Take Odom off the floor and that team isn't going to win very many games and that's a fact. Hate Odom all you want, but there is no denying that he's needed for THIS team to win and that makes him worthy of whatever the market will pay him - his current salary....

we are a 500 team with him. EVERY team with him has been 500. We lose games with him, because of him no less. Most teams with OUR cast would miss any of the starters.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
B/C teams that spend the wisest win rings.

Nesterovic - 50 million - Spurs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
bounty wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

we are a 500 team with him. EVERY team with him has been 500. We lose games with him, because of him no less. Most teams with OUR cast would miss any of the starters.

With Kobe we are a .500 team. Every team that Kobe has played on where he was the lone star has been at or below .500. We win games because of Kobe and we've lost games because of Kobe. Does Kobe make too much? Should we dump him too? And you've made my point by stating that most teams would miss their starters and that's exactly what Odom is - a starter. He starts because both management and coaching feels HE is the BEST option on the current "Real World Non Fantasy" roster.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
bounty wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
bounty wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

With Kobe we are a .500 team. Every team that Kobe has played on where he was the lone star has been at or below .500. We win games because of Kobe and we've lost games because of Kobe. Does Kobe make too much? Should we dump him too? And you've made my point by stating that most teams would miss their starters and that's exactly what Odom is - a starter. He starts because both management and coaching feels HE is the BEST option on the current "Real World Non Fantasy" roster.

possibly. Lo has a much longer history of being a loser. Kobe is more a product of Org. moves. LO being one of them.Its fact. Some guys just dont win. It happens in every sport. Kobe he is a proven winner, thats a fact. Kobe with quality support he wins. LO's history shows when he is a key component he loses. THAT CANT BE ARGUED.

Give Kobe a guy as a legit 2nd option and he still loses, then we can wonder. As of now he has a guy who has always lost.EVEN his supposed otherworldly year in heat gear. They were what a few games over 500. When EVERYONE sas Kobe has nothing around him, sorry to break to everyone LO is included in the "around him" part
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
B/C teams that spend the wisest win rings.

Nesterovic - 50 million - Spurs

let me finish your thought=Rings.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
The most important thing the Lakers lacked in Odom's absense was wins.

There haven't been a lot of those with him on the floor either.

Quote:
Take Odom off the floor and that team isn't going to win very many games and that's a fact.

Yes, because the team is desperately thin on talent.

What you neglect to contemplate is that by adding say 2 solid starters in the place of Odom, the team improves. They go from--and I'll grant this for the sake of argument--1 solid player besides Kobe to having 2 more solid players. That is an improvement.

Quote:
Hate Odom all you want, but there is no denying that he's needed for THIS team to win

Again, the team is only winning half their games, with or without him.

Quote:
and that makes him worthy of whatever the market will pay him - his current salary....

The "market" also paid Brian Grant. What you mean to say is Pat Riley gives out bad contracts. Brian Grant, Odom, Shaq. 3 of the worst contracts in all of NBA history. Oh yeah, Eddie Jones too (I mean I like EJ and all, but a max player he isn't either). So 4 awful contracts from Riley. It doesn't mean anything besides Riley shouldn't be in charge of giving out the money.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
The most important thing the Lakers lacked in Odom's absense was wins.

There haven't been a lot of those with him on the floor either.

Quote:
Take Odom off the floor and that team isn't going to win very many games and that's a fact.

Yes, because the team is desperately thin on talent.

What you neglect to contemplate is that by adding say 2 solid starters in the place of Odom, the team improves. They go from--and I'll grant this for the sake of argument--1 solid player besides Kobe to having 2 more solid players. That is an improvement.

Quote:
Hate Odom all you want, but there is no denying that he's needed for THIS team to win

Again, the team is only winning half their games, with or without him.

Quote:
and that makes him worthy of whatever the market will pay him - his current salary....

The "market" also paid Brian Grant. What you mean to say is Pat Riley gives out bad contracts. Brian Grant, Odom, Shaq. 3 of the worst contracts in all of NBA history. Oh yeah, Eddie Jones too (I mean I like EJ and all, but a max player he isn't either). So 4 awful contracts from Riley. It doesn't mean anything besides Riley shouldn't be in charge of giving out the money.

That's how the free market works. Riley signied Grant and Odom to large contracts and when he saw an opportunity to change his team for the better he put them on the market and the Lakers purchased them at their current salary level. The Lakers knew EXACTLY what they were paying for and I've not eard 1 comlaint from Dr. Buss about overpaying for Lamar. He knew what the market rate was for Lamar and he paid it. His actions indicate that he'd still prefer to pay Lamar's salary than he would splitting up his salary and giving it to two lesser players. It's his money so that makes it his perogative. Dr. Buss owns the business and he's hired everyone who works in it. He get's to decide just how much any of his employees is worth and pay them accordingly. Who knows, Dr' Buss's ceiling on Lamar may be 18 million. I don't know and don't care. All that matters is that Lamar is being paid somewere below the ceiling that Dr. Buss finds acceptable. If he finds it acceptable then I'm ok with it because I believe it is every mans right to spend the money he earns any way he see's fit. Anyone who want's to pay two lesser players Lamar's salary instead of to Lamar are welcome to go out and invest in their own NBA franchise and construct it as they see fit. The Lakers are Dr' Buss' though and he's chosen to pay Lamar as he see's fit.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
One thing that never ceases to amaze me is just how wrapped up people are in Kwame and Odoms salaries. Dr. Buss is the one who has to actually write the check and he doesn't seem to mind so it's just mind-boggling why so many other people pay so much attention to what these men earn...It's almost as if the money was coming out of their own pockets. Every man get's to spend HIS money any way HE sees fit and Dr. Buss has chosen to pay both Kwame and Odom their respective salaries. If he ever tires of it, then I'm sure he'll give someone else the opportunity to pay them and I guarantee there are others willing to pay them the same salaries as well....

Salaries have become part of the fantasy game experience it seems. That everyone is so concerned with money, even if its not theirs. How many times do you hear people talking, almost bragging about how much a movie brought in last week? As if they stand to earn a cut of some payout if Star Wars opens big. They are just filling their lives with the talk of money.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
bounty wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

goodness...any other team without their 2nd (far 2nd, gulp!) best player will struggle. It's not just Odom per se.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
bounty wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

goodness...any other team without their 2nd (far 2nd, gulp!) best player will struggle. It's not just Odom per se.

But you have to admit that Odom is a bigger part of this Lakers team than most # 2's are. Many teams could pull out a couple of games with their #2 down. Heck Phoenix & Indiana are doing it without their #1 players. This Lakers squad isn't anywhere close to being deep and that's why Odom is so important to this team and why he's missed MORE than most teams #2 guy would be. And that's called VALUE and why he is worth whatever he costs. If management feels someone else would provide greater value at the same pricepoint as Lamar (or even cheaper) then they'll make a move. Managment seems to value him and so do I. I trust they know better the situation than casual fans and thus their opinions carry more weight with me....

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Games with out Odom just prove how instrumental he is to Kobe's game. I am in no way in favor of trading Odom, he is a wonderful compliment to Kobe as a 3rd option...too bad we can't have that 2nd one...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: