hollingers wrap//Lakers Question

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: hollingers wrap//Lakers Question

Roy (Encino, CA): John, You?re Mitch Kupchak/Jim Buss. You have extra draft picks and a large amount in terms of dollars in expiring Ks. You also have the 2nd youngest team in the NBA and desperately need some veteran help for the sake of consistency. What do you do to help this young team?

John Hollinger: I think in L.A.'s case the "second-youngest team" thing is a bit of a red herring -- their average age is so low because of Bynum and Wafer, neither of whom ever plays. The main guys, Kobe, Odom, Miihm, George and Parker, are mid-career types, so L.A. should be playing for the present. I'd like to see them deal for a guard who can stroke it but Kupchak's track record doesn't inspire confidence.

Joe (Mountain View, CA): Why doesn't Phil Jackson give Brian Cook more minutes on a regular basis. His PER is far superior to that of Kwame Brown and he provides them with another player than can actually put the ball in the basket on a regular basis.

John Hollinger: I'm very interested in seeing what Phil does when Mihm comes back. Right now he needs Kwame to defend the post, since Cook is a bit small, but if I had to choose I'd take Cook's shot (and the spacing he gives Kobe) over Kwame's power.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

cook is young, sashais young, smush is young, kawme is young. this is only mihm's second year with consistant playing time.
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
cook is young, sashais young, smush is young, kawme is young. this is only mihm's second year with consistant playing time.

I have to agree with Hollinger (shudders). This team isn't that young when looking at experience.

As far as our starters Odom, Kobe, Mihm and Kwame all have over 4 years in the league.
Kazaam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

Hmmm... he mentiosn kupcraps track record.... interesting.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: hollingers wrap//Lakers Question

bounty wrote:
Roy (Encino, CA): John, You?re Mitch Kupchak/Jim Buss. You have extra draft picks and a large amount in terms of dollars in expiring Ks. You also have the 2nd youngest team in the NBA and desperately need some veteran help for the sake of consistency. What do you do to help this young team?

John Hollinger: I think in L.A.'s case the "second-youngest team" thing is a bit of a red herring -- their average age is so low because of Bynum and Wafer, neither of whom ever plays. The main guys, Kobe, Odom, Miihm, George and Parker, are mid-career types, so L.A. should be playing for the present. I'd like to see them deal for a guard who can stroke it but Kupchak's track record doesn't inspire confidence.

LOL. I wrote in as ROY. That's not my name, but I often use a bunch of different names so that they'll pick one.

I wanted to respond to the "young" comment by pointing out that the specific players he mentions to refute the "2nd youngest" issue, happen to be extremely young in a basketball sense. Smush, Mihm, Brown - all of them haven't exactly had long histories of many minutes on the court. So in that respect, they ARE young because they still have to go through the same growing pains. Also, since when is Parker in his mid-career? What, do players only have a 4-6 year NBA career?
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: hollingers wrap//Lakers Question

LakerJam wrote:
bounty wrote:

LOL. I wrote in as ROY. That's not my name, but I often use a bunch of different names so that they'll pick one.

I wanted to respond to the "young" comment by pointing out that the specific players he mentions to refute the "2nd youngest" issue, happen to be extremely young in a basketball sense. Smush, Mihm, Brown - all of them haven't exactly had long histories of many minutes on the court. So in that respect, they ARE young because they still have to go through the same growing pains. Also, since when is Parker in his mid-career? What, do players only have a 4-6 year NBA career?

Roy? Come on LJ be a little more creative don Juan, Mercedes etc. I agree. Just proves how little the box BSPN thinks in really is
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:

^I like how he couldn't give a direct answer.

"I'd like them to deal for a guard."

About as meaningless as me saying:

"I'd like them to deal for an impact player."

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: hollingers wrap//Lakers Question

LakerJam wrote:

Sure. Whatever you say, Roy.

Good question, though...
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^I like how he couldn't give a direct answer.

"I'd like them to deal for a guard."

About as meaningless as me saying:

"I'd like them to deal for an impact player."

The guy lost all credibility in my eyes when he referred to Smush as a mid-career player. Smush is a wet-behind-the-ears player, who's still learning how to play in a role with more responsibilities than he's had before. He's played sporadically, if at all, on this level and with much less minutes than he's getting now.

^^ Farmar

Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Interesting:

Smush Parker
Total minutes Pre-Lakers: about 1247 (15.1 MPG)
Total minutes with Lakers: about 1729 (33.9 MPG)

So Smush has played more this season than his entire NBA career so far - which is less than 3 seasons by the way. Yeah, sounds like mid-career to me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: