2 Reasons Phil is Great

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: 2 Reasons Phil is Great

This article in the LA Times just makes me appreciate Phil. Half the coaches out there wouldn’t have been astute enough to make this observation about Kwame and then you hear about coaches (like Larry Brown) who don’t even really talk to their players face to face. Phil is out there setting clear expectations and getting feedback from his vets. Keep it up Phil!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep15feb15,1,2254973.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

Quote:
Jackson noticed that Kwame Brown, scoreless in 31 minutes against Utah, went into a shell after being booed by the Staples Center crowd when he dropped a pass from Odom in the first quarter.

"I think that affected him," Jackson said. "Once the crowd got irritated with him, he stopped wanting to have the ball. You've got to want to have the ball in this game.

"Players have to understand that crowds come to see a performance and they come to see expertise. That's part of the package that you have to live with."

Quote:
One by one, the veterans have met with Laker Coach Phil Jackson for sessions lasting from 30 to 45 minutes, exchanging ideas, visions and frustrations.

As per Jackson's annual custom, players discussed questionnaires they had filled out ahead of time and were given areas of their game on which to focus the rest of the season. Jackson has yet to meet with all the players, but Odom was satisfied with his coach's words.

"It's good to talk to your coach one-on-one and really get to understand what he expects of you and what he wants you to do," he said. "At the time, I needed it too because I wasn't really playing that well. It was good to hear from him that he was still kind of like satisfied with the little things that I do, the intangibles that I bring to our team."
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:

thats why we pay him the big bucks.
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Reasons Phil is Great

Socks wrote:
This article in the LA Times just makes me appreciate Phil. Half the coaches out there wouldn’t have been astute enough to make this observation about Kwame and then you hear about coaches (like Larry Brown) who don’t even really talk to their players face to face. Phil is out there setting clear expectations and getting feedback from his vets. Keep it up Phil!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep15feb15,1,2254973.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

Quote:
Jackson noticed that Kwame Brown, scoreless in 31 minutes against Utah, went into a shell after being booed by the Staples Center crowd when he dropped a pass from Odom in the first quarter.

"I think that affected him," Jackson said. "Once the crowd got irritated with him, he stopped wanting to have the ball. You've got to want to have the ball in this game.

"Players have to understand that crowds come to see a performance and they come to see expertise. That's part of the package that you have to live with."

Quote:
One by one, the veterans have met with Laker Coach Phil Jackson for sessions lasting from 30 to 45 minutes, exchanging ideas, visions and frustrations.

As per Jackson's annual custom, players discussed questionnaires they had filled out ahead of time and were given areas of their game on which to focus the rest of the season. Jackson has yet to meet with all the players, but Odom was satisfied with his coach's words.

"It's good to talk to your coach one-on-one and really get to understand what he expects of you and what he wants you to do," he said. "At the time, I needed it too because I wasn't really playing that well. It was good to hear from him that he was still kind of like satisfied with the little things that I do, the intangibles that I bring to our team."

That and the fact that he is taking this subpar team into the playoffs.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Not only that, he refuses to badmouth the team a la Larry Brown, even though it's obviously a challenged roster.

He's actually seemed more positive this year than I've ever heard him.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I can think of 3 reasons why Phil is great...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I agree. Excellent.
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

We must reserve judgement until the lakers play their last game of the seasom. Phil has gone on record that this team, as is, can make the playoffsleaving the obvious conclusion that making or not making the playoffs will solely depend on Phils ability as coach and GM. So untill the Lakers make or don;t make the Playoffs, its too early to make any judgements regarding whether Phil is great of not aaccording to the standard he set himself.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully this is the point in the season where Jackson can work some magic and get them mentally prepared for the playoff push.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: