How many more strong yrs did Magic have left in him?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-Scott
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: How many more strong yrs did Magic have left in him?

What if Magic never contracted the HIV virus.

1992 He was still at the top of his game. All star game. In the summer he played with the dream team. He also came back briefly in the 1992 Lakers preseason for 6 games. Lakers looked great. But retired again. How many strong yrs do you think he had left had he never Contracted HIV.

1992 1993 1994 at a high level. 1995 and 1996 still very good,but on the downside.

I know we would have been contenders in 1992 and 93 with the addition of Sedale threatt to take the ball handling pressure away from Magic.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

infinity. Magic was not from this planet
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Magic had at least another 4 strong years ahead of him (past '92).

When he came back in 1995/1996, he wasn't conditioned like he was before.

We would've been contenders in 92 and 93, but Sedale Threatt would not take away the ball handling pressure from Magic. Magic was most succesful with the ball in his hands. Sedale was supposed to be his back up.

I think if HIV didn't hit him, it would've been an easier transition into the Shaq/Kobe era. Since we picked up Van Exel in the 2nd round (Thanks, Jerry West!) and drafted Anthony Peeler, the only player that probably wouldn't have been a Laker was Eddie Jones. But, the possibility of picking up Shaq and Kobe would've still been there. Vlade for Kobe and Shaq signed as a free agent.

So many what-if's, but oh well. That's all history.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject:

He would be our 2nd option today. We would be a half court team and he would punish these skinny guys in the post
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Magic 1-2 punch weeeeeee
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Magic was 32 in 1991 so he probably still had at least 2 more years as a top PG. I think he woulda maybe been moved over to maybe be something of a point-forward for another few years so they could bring in a younger/quicker guy to guard the opposing PG's. I think he coulda played the new position for another few years at a high level.

On a side note, this thread got me to look up Magic's old numbers. I had forgotten how close he got to averaging a triple double back in '81/'82:

18.6 PPG, 9.6 RPG, 9.5 APG to go along with 2.6 Steals/game and almost 54% FG shooting. Sheesh, what a monster!

http://www.nba.com/history/players/johnsonm_stats.html
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Magic would have transitioned to a forward role... he was most effective as the PG, and even after he finished his comeback in 1996 and was mulling a return the following year, I remember him saying that he needed to play PG again. Remember, Magic rarely guarded the speedy PG's anyway... that job went to Scott or Cooper. Most dramatic example: look back at the '88 Detroit series and notice who Magic usually guard... Laimbeer!

As to the question in the topic, I think he had several years left, and at least 3-4 in top form. Even when he came back in 1996, and he was fat and out of shape, he was still our best player. Had he been playing the whole time, there's no doubt he would have been in better shape, and more effective.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I dont think we'd have had either Kobe or Shaq them, we'd prolly rebuild later, around 98-99 We'd prolly have a guy like T-Mac or CArter instead of Kobe. But too many ifs...
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:

One more thing... I have always regretted that Magic didn't return for one more year after the 1996 season. He was considering it. Think about it. That was the summer we got Shaq and Kobe. Magic, even at that stage, playing with Shaq would have been awesome. Kobe would have been initiated into the league with his idol as teammate, and perhaps he and Shaq would have got off to a better start with the Magic man on board. Also, Byron Scott came back that year, and it would have been great to have him and Magic play together one last time!
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

absolutely STRONG 5 YEARS!!! Without a doubt.

Magic would have been able to play at the TOP OF HIS GAME until 36 which is what he would have been in 5 years.

His last year before HIV he was averaging around 20 ppg and over 12 apg which is around his average the previous 8 years. Absolutely no drop off at all. If anything he was playing better that last season.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
don ford
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Good thread topic, I like these sorts of sci-fi sports questions (at least the non-ridiculous ones, this one is non-ridiculous).
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject:

My inner 11 year old just started crying again. Thanks, B-Scott.
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:

seriously, I think that Magic would have kept playing until he was 40+
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

^ Yeah, he would have played until he was 38-40. However, in terms of prime years...I'd guess another three or so. See, he was the smartest player in history, he didn't rely on his athleticism/quickness the way most great players do. He's similar to Stockton in that sense.
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Everything happens for a reason. What if he had played?? Would we have been positioned to get Kobe and Shaq that summer???? Think about it. No Kobe today??? Perhaps Kobe would be a hornet today, or maybe he wouldn't have. Maybe the Lakers wopuld have been a powerhouse still the next four years and that would have thrown the seeding off because the Lakers would have dominated in the regular season for the lottery, think about it. I like how everything has turned out..............we got three more rings anywayz.............and more coming..........
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject:

^^ ergo, Stockton plaed until he was 38, Magic was not a high flyer... he was a floor general, who used smarts and exp and IMHO it would not be out of place to see him play into his 40s.
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Sonicc64 wrote:
^^ ergo, Stockton plaed until he was 38, Magic was not a high flyer... he was a floor general, who used smarts and exp and IMHO it would not be out of place to see him play into his 40s.

Stockton played until he was 40 going on 41................and was still tight!!
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Nahtanoj wrote:
Kobe Magic 1-2 punch weeeeeee

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: