What would Dumars do?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

WWDD? (What Would Dumars Do?)
Keep mediocre talent over "Cancerous" AllStar?
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Upgrade the team with a "cancer"?
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Stand pat with nothing on the plates...
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: What would Dumars do?

Not the best character player to trade for...

Generally known and proven to be a CANCER with POR and with ATL...

Most TECHNICAL FOULS and EJECTIONS in the LEAGUE...

He was worse than RON ARTEST when it comes to media and offcourt issues!

Why did he trade for Sheed? Why did it work out?

Talent.

They needed frontcourt talent. Sheed was one of the best though noone, NOONE liked him...

I posted this to hammer this point home:

Stop worrying about OFF-COURT issues with players reported on LAL's radar!!!!!

Talent will take us alot farther than "nice guys"...

You don't like Boozer? Who cares? He'd be a starter on this team and a huge upgrade in the frontcourt on BOTH sides of the floor...

You don't like K-Mart? Who cares? He's better than all of our frontcourt players and he could be the enforcer we need. Somebody to add toughness to this SOFT frontcourt...

Steve Francis? Great offensive talent...would be a legit #2...could shore up the back court and has the talent to be a lock down defender at the 1...

These are a few guys who you love to hate...just wanted to remind you what the "genius" Dumars what have done...
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Orlando Magic have traded center Kelvin Cato to the Detroit Pistons for center Darko Milicic, guard Carlos Arroyo, and a soon-to-be announced draft pick.

Another CANCER acquired by DET!!!

An already deep frontcourt gets deeper...

I wonder why Dumars thinks so much differently than most of the "fans" here??? Does he see talent where others see "thugs"???

That's the problem...too many armchair GMs who don't know SQUAT about talent...
Shapecity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:

It's not just talent Dumars has an eye for. He gets players who actually want to win games and their passion is mis-understood for being crazy.

Just look at his teammates when he was with the "Bad Boys"

Isiah Thomas
Rich Mahorn
Bill Laimbeer
Dennis Rodman
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

This is the kind of blanket, one-sized fits all thinking that gets people in trouble. There are few enough players in this league that we can spend the time to think of them as individuals and not under broad titles like "cancer".

Yes, Sheed had his on-court antics with referees and he's kind of a (bleep) sometimes, but he has always been loved by teammates, always played hard and always played "the right way", and was as many analysts pointed out when the trade went down: a perfect fit for the Detroit system. He also didn't have a completely ludicrous contract given his talent and was a final piece to a championship puzzle.

The 3 guys you brought up have outrageous contracts compared to their potential contributions and are not worth the risk given they don't make us champions.

You're talking about adding max contracts for non-max performers with personality issues to boot. Your suggestion isn't what Dumars would do, it's a lot more like what Isiah would do.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Well first off Dumars has a plan. 2ND, Dumars has a plan
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:

and I dont want to hear about there years of failure. that team is not home grown It is built off SMART moves and a vision. If Joe D had Kobe to build around, ......Boy imagine that
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
Quote:
The Orlando Magic have traded center Kelvin Cato to the Detroit Pistons for center Darko Milicic, guard Carlos Arroyo, and a soon-to-be announced draft pick.

I wonder why Dumars thinks so much differently than most of the "fans" here??? Does he see talent where others see "thugs"???

It's pretty obvious, to me... Dumars has one of those special abilities, to see some kind of inner character strength in a player.... I believe, Dumars also has that special ability to assess the specific needs of his team. Maybe, the most important thing, however, is Dumar's ability to choose the type players that can work together, as a team...

The type of talent, and pure instinct, that Dumars possesses, cannot fully be taught... I think the true talent of a good GM comes from a deeper, instinctual place... Dumars is in touch with that deeper place. To be fair, the Pistons had an advantage, in those lottery years... They were able to build a nice little foundation... Still, it takes a special GM to recognize what constitutes a strong foundation. You don't mess with the foundations of the team.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What would Dumars do?

GameCock-MD wrote:
What would Dumars do?

Who the hell cares? Dumars is NOT a Laker!
Bystander
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Didn't they also got 1st round pick? And btw they picked 1st rounder from the correct Florida team.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
The 3 guys you brought up have outrageous contracts compared to their potential contributions and are not worth the risk given they don't make us champions.

Boozer and Martin, yeah, overpaid. Francis--well, when you consider his career numbers (19/6/6) and consider that he's done something only Magic, Oscar Roberston and Grant Hill have done (average 15+/5+/5+ for at least their first 5 seasons), one is hard pressed to deny that Francis has legitimate all-star talent. I think I've seen him occassionally even attempt to defend if he's so motivated.

But that's neither here nor there. No one player is going to make this a championship team. We have to add several players. The guys you apparently want, all-star talents with cheap contracts are, it would seem, beyond our means.

Quote:
You're talking about adding max contracts for non-max performers with personality issues to boot. Your suggestion isn't what Dumars would do, it's a lot more like what Isiah would do.

Dumars would not have let his team rot for years without keeping talent on the roster. Thus, Dumars has talent and so he's in a position to deal for talent without having to take on bad contracts. We've got no talent, therefore the only talent available are guys on bad contracts. That's kind of why Jerry West's approach had been to stockpile talent--it can't hurt on the court, and its there to make a deal if an upgrade is available.

So, given the reality that we're unlikely to sign any all-star caliber free agent in the near future, talent upgrades have to come through:
A) Trading Odom
B) Drafts
C) Using the MLE
D) Taking on talented, "troubled" players with bad contracts

That's the ammo. Although I suspect that even within those particular constraints that most GMs could do better than what we've seen the last 5 years or so.
holdenmichael
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Your suggestion isn't what Dumars would do, it's a lot more like what Isiah would do.

Exactly.

There's no way in hell Dumars would trade for K-Mart, Francis, or Boozer if he were the GM of the Lakers. Maybe Boozer, but only if Dumars was also trading for a highly skilled, two-way perimeter player.

I don't see how you can compare trading for the expiring contract of Rasheed Wallace (Range and skill from the post to the perimeter + good defender) to trading for Kenyon Martin (limited offensive skills + good defender) and the remaining five MAX years on his contract.

I don't see how you believe that Francis would somehow become a lockdown defender just because he has the talent to. It takes drive, not talent.

Boozer? Not bad, but not great and unless you've also got a plan to add Chauncey at the 1 and Tayshaun at the 3 (I can live with Mihm/Kwame + Bynum at the 5), it's a waste of money.

I don't see how you can compare adding players with expiring contracts to adding players with contracts that would leave the Lakers with absolutely no room to take advantage of any good opportunities that might come up.

I prefer what the Lakers have now the opportunity to make moves in the future to what the Sixers have and will have for the next handfull of years.
LoveLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject:

after loosing to the Heat, Dumars probably aware that he need to get more big body to consume the FAT SNAQ.
holdenmichael
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
Quote:

You do realize that you're lauding his trading away of a BUST of almost Bowie proportions and a starting PG for a back-up center with an expiring contract, right?

I mean, what could Cato have done for the Lakers?

Nothing.

Wait until the Lakers have made it back to the Finals before you start going ballistic about not picking up the likes of Kelvin Cato.

What's funny is that Francis has seemingly been available since he joined Orlando and you're complaining that Mitch and the rest of the Lakers FO isn't going after him because the Nuggets and Knicks are after him.

If Dumars is a genious and he'd go after Francis, why aren't teams other than the Nuggets (believe that giving up minimal talent for Francis will make them a contender) and Knicks (do I really need to explain?) going after him?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: