From RealGM: K-Mart Staying? Nuggets Don't Just Want Cap Room
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Living in Colorado and following the local news, I can tell you the Nuggets are in a quandry.

Karl and Kiki are not seeing eye to eye on the talent currently on the team. Kiki thinks the roster is underperforming and Karl thinks they don't have enough talent.

Kiki is coming to the end of his contract and would like to make a big splash in the playoffs (get past the first round) in order to get another contract with the team. Karl would like Kiki to go and to take over the GM duties himself.

Karl thinks KMart isn't tough enough to play through injuries and sits when he should be toughing it out. KMart does not respond to Karl yelling and critcizing him.

Miller (UFA) and Nene (RFA) want big money next year and Melo will want big money the year after. But the owner (Stan Kroenke) does not want to pay the luxury tax. Martin, Watson and Camby are all under contract for the next 4 years (after this one) at $25mil (07), $26.8mil (2008 ), $28.4mil (09) and 29.6mil (10). Someone has to go in order to keep Melo and either Nene or Miller.

Laker7

Last edited by Laker7 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Beggers cant be choosers, for those who are turning away k mart in a heatbeat. We need a quality gaurd,a big man, a a shooter , along with keeping lamar to be in contention this season. Too be in contention other than a formula than that, we need another superstar flat out.
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Odom is not being traded for Kmart. It would make no sense toe the Lakers to do that. I think, what we're trying to do to put together a package of expiring contracts and one player that might be useful to Denver and see if they bite. Odom/George though? That's way too much. Kmart is being shopped everywhere. His trade value is low. With New York out of the picture, it might be just us.
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Hey 4OnTheFloor,

What do Baron Davis and K-Mart have in common?

1. Big contracts - preventing future moves
2. Frequent injuries - you can't count on either player
3. Questionable work ethic - unlikely to improve or fit into the triangle concept

What does that mean? The Lakers are not interested.

Well i guess you can say the same for Lamar then as well.
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Bystander wrote:
4OnTheFloor wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
I'd rather stand pat than take on K-Mart. Once you're knees start giving you problems, they never stop, and at his age, it's quite a concern. He is not worth it. I'd rather have the worse case scenario happen where we don't make the playoffs and lose our draft pick then for us to take on a huge contract on ANOTHER tweener. Why don't we trade for Antwan Jamison as well. We'd have a monopoly on overpriced 3/4 tweeners.

It's funny because people was singing the same tune about B Diddy last trade deadline. Now look at what he's doing. I would rather have k-mart bad knees an all then a healthy Odom.

Remind me again what is it that he's doing, making GS playoff contender?

18 pts 9 assists is what he's doing. Team that up with Kobe and lookout.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Giving Odom is paying too much. If they'll take some expiring scraps and a 2nd round pick, and they may have no choice, I'll take KMart.

He's impact. We have no impact on this team after Kobe and ocassionally Odom. We need reliable impact. KMart fits the description.
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Pop wrote:
Giving Odom is paying too much. If they'll take some expiring scraps and a 2nd round pick, and they may have no choice, I'll take KMart.

He's impact. We have no impact on this team after Kobe and ocassionally Odom. We need reliable impact. KMart fits the description.

Our garbage (george & slava) is not gonna land us much. Teams are not that desperate. This is not NBA Live.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Are either of those players named Kobe????? No, so therefor whats your point?

Kobe isn't Tim Duncan or a dominant bigman. He is not a PG that can change the dynamic of his team's offense.

You overrate Kobe's impact on the game - teamwise.

Detroit, SA and Phx don't have a Kobe Bryant type player yet they are all contenders.

Quote:
Kmart & Watson both bring it defensively. Something we have been lacking for quite some time now.

I would like both.

Just not for the trade you are proposing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Are either of those players named Kobe????? No, so therefor whats your point?

Kobe isn't Tim Duncan or a dominant bigman. He is not a PG that can change the dynamic of his team's offense.

You overrate Kobe's impact on the game - teamwise.

Detroit, SA and Phx don't have a Kobe Bryant type player yet they are all contenders.

Quote:
Kmart & Watson both bring it defensively. Something we have been lacking for quite some time now.

I would like both.

Just not for the trade you are proposing.

No i'm not overrating Kobe's impact. All i'm saying is give him a better supporting cast and he would be doing better then the 8th seed. Take away Melo and put Kobe on Denver and they have a way better record then what they got now. Thats what im saying.

When you have depth & talent like SA, Det. you don't need a Kobe type player. We don't have either, so we need a Kobe type player.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:

We had the same reservations about Baron during the last trade deadline and look we he did for GSW for the rest of that year. His injury history is just as bad. K-Mart doesn't put up spectacular offensive numbers, but he is an active force on defense, which is what we need. He allows Odom to play 3rd option where he is more comfortable.

If we can get him without giving up Odom, WE SHOULD. Talentwise, Odom and K-Mart are better than whatever we could hope to get in FA in 2007/2008/whatever year it is now. K-Mart has a history of injuries, but he misses about 15 games a season which is no worse than what we could depend on Shaq for in the past.

The combined shot-blocking ability of Odom, Martin, and Bynum a couple of years down the line is pretty incredible. If his knees check out and we don't give up Kobe/Odom/Bynum, why not?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Ofcouse he would be doing better but not if you bring in those guys for a player that gives the Lakers playmaking and rebounding - post option sometimes too. Do that trade and he has to facilitate again.

If you said Martin and Miller - I would agree with you. Miller makes up for all of Odom's ballhandling and passing ability and then some.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

4OnTheFloor wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
I'd rather stand pat than take on K-Mart. Once you're knees start giving you problems, they never stop, and at his age, it's quite a concern. He is not worth it. I'd rather have the worse case scenario happen where we don't make the playoffs and lose our draft pick then for us to take on a huge contract on ANOTHER tweener. Why don't we trade for Antwan Jamison as well. We'd have a monopoly on overpriced 3/4 tweeners.

It's funny because people was singing the same tune about B Diddy last trade deadline. Now look at what he's doing. I would rather have k-mart bad knees an all then a healthy Odom.

It's good when a team like DET has alot of chemistry and all of it's players love each other...who wouldn't? They're winning!!!!

But 4 of the starting 5 are in the ALLSTAR GAME!!!

Just because we stand pat for good character players doesn't mean that they will SUDDENLY turn into ALLSTARS!!!!!
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

some people are foregtting one name in the equation......Chris Mihm

and yes - i would take K-mart at this point in a heartbeat and i haven't even been a fan of his much at all - but we need a second prescence and he might be able to provide it - and if we goit either Watson or Lenard in the background - i'll take that right now!
jmac78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Would anyone trade Odom, George, Slava for K-Mart and Andre Miller?
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:

If the price is as low as people seem to think (George + Slava + Pick) then we do it if for no other reason than we could just retrade him for the same garbage later if we had to. There's nothing to lose when the cost is that low. It's the same thing I said about the Baron Davis and Artest trade (the non-Odom one). Whether or not he would fit in the offense and whether or not he would work well with Kobe when the price is that low and you can make the trade you do it. If you can get a star for junk you can always retrade that star for somebody elses junk later if it doesn't pan out.

AL.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Shoot, I'd send Kwame, Devean and/or Slava if it could get K-Mart and Watson. Yeah, it blows 2007 to hell, but imagine this lineup:

C -- Mihm, Bynum
PF -- K-Mart, Cook
SF -- Odom, Luke
SG -- Kobe, ???
PG -- Wtason, Smush

That starting lineup could hang with many in the West... provided K-mart doesn't have 99-Cent Store knees.

MIM
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:

jmac78 wrote:
Would anyone trade Odom, George, Slava for K-Mart and Andre Miller?
I would if that was what was offered. Doubt Kiki or Karl would go along. Miller has been the most consistant Nugget the last 2 years.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Wait - So despite the Nuggets having those two players and Melo, Camby, Miller and Boykins - their record is very similar to the Lakers YET that moves makes us contenders?

It's true, it does. You're just not looking at it the right way. Watch. First, take a hit of this and then think about Martin on the Lakers. See how fast we become contenders?

Man, you lied. I tried it and it still didn't make us contenders! Damit!
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Pop wrote:

How is it "impact" when he has to constantly sit out games because his knees routinely swell up like balloons after games? Then to be stuck paying him an additional 71 million dollars for that nonsense? That doesn't make us contenders, it makes us morons on the hook for 5 years of Kobe's prime to a guy whose knees can't hold up and who is too dam undersized to guard any PFs in the west?

The Lakers aren't going to trade for a those max salary knees. It's just not going to happen.
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject:

I think Denver needs to make room for Nene, and are using Kenyon's 'knees" as an excuse to justify it to Nuggets fans...

I think we need a player that can play with intensity and heart... I'd do it... But, not for Odom, not that it would be, because they would want cap space, no matter what they say...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Exick wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Wait - So despite the Nuggets having those two players and Melo, Camby, Miller and Boykins - their record is very similar to the Lakers YET that moves makes us contenders?

It's true, it does. You're just not looking at it the right way. Watch. First, take a hit of this and then think about Martin on the Lakers. See how fast we become contenders?

Man, you lied. I tried it and it still didn't make us contenders! Damit!

Here, try this stuff...

No, still nothing...

Wait, maybe ,
what

I'm a what

contender

Oh yeah, contender.

Nope, still not. Dammit.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

4OnTheFloor wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Hey 4OnTheFloor,

What do Baron Davis and K-Mart have in common?

1. Big contracts - preventing future moves
2. Frequent injuries - you can't count on either player
3. Questionable work ethic - unlikely to improve or fit into the triangle concept

What does that mean? The Lakers are not interested.

Well i guess you can say the same for Lamar then as well.

Frequent injuries
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: