Green Lantern Movie - Flops in Box Office (PG.3) Reviews are bad; WB places embargo on reviews (PG.2)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Green Lantern Movie - Flops in Box Office (PG.3) Reviews are bad; WB places embargo on reviews (PG.2)

Anyway a bit more Tweet reviews coming in from people in the media who'd seen an earlier showing, are now seeming more mixed:

8 positives, 5 negatives, 2 neutral

http://www.tweetsoup.com/articles/green-lantern-2011-twitter-review/31770379

Positives:
- Very kid friendly film (so Mom's and Dad's have nothing to worry about)
- Blake Lively is hot (don't know why most of them are saying this - not sure if it's her acting they're complimenting)
- Mark Strong was great (both as great looking and great actor I'm guessing)
- Comic fans will like the film (reviewer says he's a comic fan but also was employed by WB so take it for what it's worth)
- Good amount of action with comedy
- Colorful and vibrant movie

Negatives:
- Plays a little too much for the younger kids crowd
- Movie plot a little too obvious
- Character development not one of the stronger points (one even pointed out Thor's relationships was done better)
- Green Lantern's ring a little "too godlike"; not enough time spent on Hal Jordan's "training"
- Ryan Reynolds is "not bad" (the way they word is more half glass empty than full)
- CGI parts of Hal Jordan are obvious and Alien movements not that great
- Too many characters and things going on

Well whatever, I'm gonna see this film. My friend who works at AMC is taking me to see it next Wednesday (a day earlier) for FREE so hurray for me coz I got nothing to lose.

--------------

Not so much excited about anything green especially during the Finals, but eh.

Presenting Green Lantern:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/reynolds-gl2.jpg

^ Will Ferrel with Hulk toes...

Worst costume since George Clooney's Batman Forever.

Last edited by Jordan-esque on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:06 am; edited 12 times in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject:

As long as Blake Lively's in something as skin tight, then I'll watch.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
As long as Blake Lively's in something as skin tight, then I'll watch.

+1

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Green Lantern - June '11

Jordan-esque wrote:
Not so much excited about anything green especially during the Finals, but eh.

Presenting Green Lantern:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/reynolds-gl2.jpg

^ Will Ferrel with Hulk toes...

Worst costume since George Clooney's Batman Forever.

Batman and Robin, but they must have completed (bleep) that Green Lantern costume compared to the original for such a comparison.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject:

Early review of the Warner Bros film seems mixed, but positively kid friendly (and good for Blake Lively):

Quote:
Gab & Max's review (just a YouTube mom and her kid): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZWLZV83zPI&feature=share

Mom didn't like movie, says it's more for kids, likes THOR a lot more.

The kid loves it though.

Quote:
Robert Burnett (Femme Fatales Director) - Note: He is also a Time Warners employee:

Green Lantern was terrific fun. The fact that it works at all is a miracle, but it really does cook. The color is great. … It’s not campy at all. The humor is earned. And Mark Strong as Sinestro was AWESOME. Green Lantern (bleep) rocked! Don’t know why, but it kinda’ felt like THE LAST STARFIGHTER. I know…”Huh?!? What?!?” … it really did feel like an 80′s movie, circa ’84… Weird. Blake Lively… LOOK AT HER. Smoooooking hot.

Quote:
Jade Seah (MediaCorp Reporter):

Just done with Green Lantern screening and I must say, I really enjoyed it, jetlag and lack of sleep notwithstanding! It helped that Blake Lively is such a dream onscreen. Oh, and Reynolds wasn't too bad either. Less talk and less clothes is when he shines.

Quote:
Renee Bargh (Australian Model and TV Reporter):

Just Saw my 3rd movie for the weekend 'The Green Lantern.' Blake Lively looked Smokin as a brunette and Ryan didn't look too bad either"!!

I guess you could say it was a positive review for one Blake Lively (comments based more on her hotness though).

Ryan Reynolds, still to be determined, but I'm sure Mr. Van Wilder did good on his role though.

Last edited by Jordan-esque on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Early review of the Warner Bros film seems positively kid friendly (and good for Blake Lively):

Quote:
Robert Burnett (Femme Fatales Director) - Note: He is also a Time Warners employee:

Green Lantern was terrific fun. The fact that it works at all is a miracle, but it really does cook. The color is great. … It’s not campy at all. The humor is earned. And Mark Strong as Sinestro was AWESOME. Green Lantern (bleep) rocked! Don’t know why, but it kinda’ felt like THE LAST STARFIGHTER. I know…”Huh?!? What?!?” … it really did feel like an 80′s movie, circa ’84… Weird. Blake Lively… LOOK AT HER. Smoooooking hot.

Quote:
Jade Seah (MediaCorp Reporter):

Just done with Green Lantern screening and I must say, I really enjoyed it, jetlag and lack of sleep notwithstanding! It helped that Blake Lively is such a dream onscreen. Oh, and Reynolds wasn't too bad either. Less talk and less clothes is when he shines.

Quote:
Renee Bargh (Australian Model and TV Reporter):

Just Saw my 3rd movie for the weekend 'The Green Lantern.' Blake Lively looked Smokin as a brunette and Ryan didn't look too bad either"!!

Quote:
Gab & Max's review (just a YouTube mom and her kid): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZWLZV83zPI&feature=share

Mom is a mom, the kid loves it though.

I guess you could say it was a positive review for one Blake Lively (comments based more on her hotness though).

Ryan Reynolds, still to be determined, but I'm sure Mr. Van Wilder did good on his role though.

Both say that Ryan Reynolds didn't look too bad either, rather than saying Ryan Renolds looked great! Big difference in wording.

Not a very promising review of Ryan.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject:

men with jewelry= awesome
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Unless it gets really good reviews or I'm really bored, I think I'll pass on this one. The promos haven't gotten me excited at all and I always thought Green Lantern was kind of lame.

Are they ever going to make a movie about The Flash?
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject:

blake lively is a pretty girl next door, but dont act like she has a smokin hot bod or something
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Marvel is really flooding the market aren't they?
csf80
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject:

June is going to be an interesting month for DC. Green Lantern opens, the new animated Green Lantern movie is coming out. They just announced the big "reboot" of their comics (which may or may not be a good thing). As a big Green Lantern fan I'm excited for the movie. This is going to make or break Geoff Johns status as creative controller of DC's film properties. Green Lantern being the book that made him kind of a rock star at DC I'm sure he's hoping for a huge opening. The way Marvel is walking all over DC, in both comics sales and movies, they need it.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Unless it gets really good reviews or I'm really bored, I think I'll pass on this one. The promos haven't gotten me excited at all and I always thought Green Lantern was kind of lame.

But it's gotten some good reviews already - see couple posts above.
1 - from a kid!

2 - from a tv director who tweeted about it and who coincidentally is employed by Time Warner!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

But it's gotten some good early reviews already - see couple posts above.

1 - from a kid!

2 - from a tv director who tweeted about it and who coincidentally is employed by Time Warner!

3 - from some models turned tv reporters!

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

This is a DC movie.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:

This is a DC movie.

So it is.

I stand by my point though about the market being flooded.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:

This is a DC movie.

So it is.

Well it's all about the $. Get characters people are familiar with(usually from childhood) and make it into a movie regardless of how original it is. Any comic book hero or toy from the 70's or 80's is becoming a movie because it guarantees to put butts in seats based on nostalgia. Transformers, GI Joe and now Rock em' Sock em' Robots.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:

This is a DC movie.

So it is.

Well it's all about the $. Get characters people are familiar with(usually from childhood) and make it into a movie regardless of how original it is. Any comic book hero or toy from the 70's or 80's is becoming a movie because it guarantees to put butts in seats based on nostalgia. Transformers, GI Joe and now Rock em' Sock em' Robots.

Don't forget a movie based on Battleship, which has a plotline that makes Transformers sound like a serious indie arthouse film.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject:

this one looks LAME
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject:

* REVIEW *

Background: I'm a comic book fan who's read Green Lantern since the late 80's and was privileged to see this movie early with a friend who is a non-comic book fan in general. So what you're getting in this review is 2 perspectives on the movie.

Off the bat: Do NOT expect deep character growth development and relationships you would find in "X-Men: First Class" or even "Thor" for that matter (in terms of films this year). This movie is simply for entertainment.

SPECIAL EFFECTS:

The special effects are the bread and butter of this film, it's very heavy and dependent in that department, and I believe it's what definitely makes the film tick.

Only gripe my friend and I had was that the CGI on some of the movements of the characters were so like 10 years ago aka Spider-Man the Movie (2002). You would think after all these years we could see better CGI animation especially when it transitions to live action Hal Jordan to CGI Hal Jordan.

The only other complaint we shared though was that Hal Jordan's constructs in this movie was a little "too cartoony". He basically created everything from a sword, flamethrower, gatling gun, anti-air artillery gun, to a SWAT shield, catapult, and even a jetplane. For a live action movie, just felt a little silly and a little over the top cartoony, almost made for the kid's entertainment. I don't think I've seen his animated counterpart in the Justice League TV series (John Stewart) make these kinds of constructs - that's how cartoony it felt. Then again, we all have little kids in all of us.

Also, according to my friend, the way they made the power of the ring was just too godlike - the "McGyver of rings". Once Hal Jordan completed his short training, you knew he was just going to be unstoppable. It was true to the comic books but to a casual movie goer, he felt it was a little bit of a turn-off since it made the villain look pale in comparison , especially in the final battle, which the trailers actually gave a hint to on how it would end.

STORY:

The story was told very simple. Those familiar with the comic, it follows very closely to the first 3-4 issues of The Secret Origins (2008) story arc written by Geoff Johns, and the original Emerald Dawn storyline retelling of the late 80's. In other words, it's not based on the continuity of the original story of Hal Jordan back in the Silver Age revival of the character.

My friend thought the movie tried to fit in a lot of plots and stories like Spider-Man III did with the transition from earth to space, back to earth, back to space, back to earth a little too much (he was thinking more like the Silver Age revival stories where Hal Jordan doesn't meet up with the Green Lantern Corps and just stays on earth). While I on the other hand thought it was okay and done a little bit better simply because I knew and read the book, and also in hindsight, knew they were doing this to set up a potential sequel. There's a post credit scene too!

A missed opportunity I honestly thought, although they weren't "buddies" in the comics, it would've been better if they had played more on the relationship between Hal Jordan and Sinestro as something a bit more than just mentor to student, in order to build up a stronger emotional bond when the time comes for *Semi-spoiler* ---- Sinestro to turn evil. But think of Peter Parker and Harry Osborne (Green Goblin 2), or Professor X and Magneto, one can even say Bruce Wayne and R'as Al Ghul (actually as Henry Ducarde). Btw, Sinestro becoming evil, is not a spoiler since even a 10 year old kid can point just based on the name.

ACTING:

Mark Strong definitely was the best part of the film. He played the very cool, and calculated Sinestro better than even the comic books could write him.

Peter Sarsgaard who plays Hector Hammond was above average, and nothing really quite memorable in terms of superb acting or anything like that. Another missed opportunity I believe was the fact they could've played more of the "Norman Osborne / Peter Parker" identity relationship; will not spoil the film so I'll leave it at that.

Michael Clarke Duncan as the voice of Kilowog fit perfectly as well and his ribbing of Hal Jordan set up a good portion of comedic moments.

Blake Lively played the typical bossy girl who would not give Hal Jordan the time of day but changes her heart once the hero reveals himself and saves the day. Don't expect anything too deep like Peter Parker & Mary Jane or even, to an extent, Thor & Jane Foster. It had a hybrid feel between Clark Kent & Lois Lane trying to be like Bruce Wayne & Rachel Dawes.

Ryan Reynolds was a positive but mixed bag. My non-comic book friend thought he was a good Hal Jordan (not knowing anything about him), while I thought some of his inner monologue jokes from him seemed more appropriate coming from Guy Gardner (another Green Lantern) or even Wally West the Flash. Actually some of it was more Ryan Reynolds just being Ryan Reynolds (see Van Wlder or any other Ryan Reynolds film) and made me wonder how much ad-lib he had? All in all, I wasn't too impressed, but I wasn't disappointed either. He was cynically lighthearted but when it was time to get serious, he became serious. But unlike what Christopher Reeve brought to the big screen as a believable Clark Kent and Superman, or what Hugh Jackman brought as Wolverine, Robert Downey Jr brought as Tony Stark, and even Chris Hemsworth brought as Thor... Ryan Reynolds didn't quite bring it as real comic book fans would know Hal Jordan.

SUMMARY:

All in all this movie was a good summer movie for everyone to enjoy. It doesn't take itself way too emotionally seriously as it should. It's definitely a great movie for the kids. If you just solely want to have a good time, then this movie will brighten your day.

RATING:

I gave it a "B-" aka not bad, while my friend gravitated to a "C+" since it became a little too silly by the middle end.

So final score is a "B--" or a "C++".

In terms of films this year, I ranked this behind X-Men: First Class, and Thor.

Now onto Captain America in July!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject:

From the looks of the trailers, I haven't seen worse special effects in a big ticket movie in some time. I've seen better on PS3.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
From the looks of the trailers, I haven't seen worse special effects in a big ticket movie in some time. I've seen better on PS3.

Wow, you're giving me 2nd thoughts...

Thinking about it now, the special effects on GL's constructs were pretty cheesy.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject:

Here's one official review:

http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/89557/green-lantern.html

Gave it 2 out of 5 stars
... ouch!

Quote:

Enter square-jawed daredevil Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds), he of the Ken doll physique and perfunctorily addressed daddy issues. The guy needs a calling, dammit! And boy, does he get one after being summoned to the side of a fallen Lantern, who gifts him his laser-lightshow ring and cosmos-protecting powers. Time to kick it into high gear, right? Uh, sure, just after we attend to Hal’s nonstarter romance with plastic girl Carol Ferris (Blake Lively, who isn’t). Oh, and there’s this other supervillain we gotta deal with – Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard, made up with a hilarious John Carpenter-esque bald pate).

Hal eventually travels to the mystical corps-HQ planet of Oa for some sequel-ready one-upmanship with baddie-in-training Sinestro (Mark Strong), and the film’s very talented director, Martin Campbell (‘Casino Royale’), handles these otherworld scenes, as well as the finale’s tentacle-tastic Parallax fight, with expected aplomb. But whenever this Lantern returns to terra firma (too often), its imaginative flights are ground beneath the DC overlords’ demographic-pandering heels.

Last edited by Jordan-esque on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject:

Superhero movies, you can either make it adult oriented or kid oriented.

Unfortunately this looks horrible for adults. Probably a DVD rental for me. Waiting for Captain America, if this does well, then it bodes well for the Avenger movie too.

I read a while ago they're trying to do a Deadpool movie with Reynolds too.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
blake lively is a pretty girl next door, but dont act like she has a smokin hot bod or something

I hope that was sarcasm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-M0lDtwdUAlY/TWaUkbr2YFI/AAAAAAAAAJs/-IU1B5J6xc4/s640/blake_lively_versace.jpg
That looks like a pretty damn smokin' hot bod to me. And there are other pics out there that are even better, but not safe for a family forum...

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject:

I'm going to pass.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: