Rambus talks about Lakers defense on radio

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Rambus talks about Lakers defense on radio

He said that the Lakers weakness is their team defense because they can't cover each others weakness. While everyone has their strengths (Sasha man D, Smush stealing, Kwame interior D), they can't cover for each others weaknesses. When someone sees Sasha on a pick and roll, they need to be aware that he struggles against it, and hedge over more. Because Smush likes to gamble, Mihm Lamar Cook Kwame need to clog up the middle to prevent easy layups. Individually, Lakers aren't really bad at Defense, but when it comes to team D, lakers stuggle becaue they cant help eachothers weaknesses.

That's pretty much what Rambus said, and I agree. being a player myself, its important to have teammates that can cover your weaknesses.

the offense is there with this team, especially with mihm back, but the Defense needs work. lets see if the lakers can help each other more...talk on D..put more effort like we did earlier in the year when we won 6 of 7 on the road
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:

That is Phil's responsibility and he needs to get on it. Maybe he's not teaching defense again.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
That is Phil's responsibility and he needs to get on it. Maybe he's not teaching defense again.

Not sure. I know the offense is very complex. Maybe he needs to focus more on D. D wins ball games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
pgbball
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rambus talks about Lakers defense on radio

lakersdynasty999 wrote:
He said that the Lakers weakness is their team defense because they can't cover each others weakness. While everyone has their strengths (Sasha man D, Smush stealing, Kwame interior D), they can't cover for each others weaknesses. When someone sees Sasha on a pick and roll, they need to be aware that he struggles against it, and hedge over more. Because Smush likes to gamble, Mihm Lamar Cook Kwame need to clog up the middle to prevent easy layups. Individually, Lakers aren't really bad at Defense, but when it comes to team D, lakers stuggle becaue they cant help eachothers weaknesses.

That's pretty much what Rambus said, and I agree. being a player myself, its important to have teammates that can cover your weaknesses.

the offense is there with this team, especially with mihm back, but the Defense needs work. lets see if the lakers can help each other more...talk on D..put more effort like we did earlier in the year when we won 6 of 7 on the road

Kurt's comments do not clarify the root of the problem.

How does he explain this same team allowing only 95.5 pts/gm in the first 16 losses and in the 10 most recent losses allowing 106.8 pts/gm? Also during those 10 recent losses have allowed 42.2 3-PT% that dropped the team from first to now 8th in 3-PT% allowed? Were they covering each other's weaknesses better then than now translating to an incredible 11.3 pts more per game allowed on recent losses?

Yes, team defense is a weakness not simply because they cannot cover each other's weaknesses but because of a combination of lack of effort, poor conditioning, wrong priorities (more offensive mindedness from players and maybe from coaches emphasizing triangle-aptitude), and poor shot selection leading to better offensive opportunities for the other team.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

How can he talk about something that doesn't exist?
pgbball
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:

I know you are being sarcastic but your characterization is incorrect.

If the defense does not exist, the other team would score on all their possessions (never the case in real life).

So give the man a break, their defense exists but its a poor one.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:

pgbball wrote:
DocK36 wrote:

If the defense does not exist, the other team would score on all their possessions (never the case in real life).

today in sarcasm 101...
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject:

pgbball wrote:
DocK36 wrote:

got a sense of humor?
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject:

Rambis
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject:

lakersdynasty999 wrote:
KA_2 wrote:

Not sure. I know the offense is very complex. Maybe he needs to focus more on D. D wins ball games.

so does offense.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject:

lakersdynasty999 wrote:
pgbball wrote:
DocK36 wrote:

got a sense of humor?

^^ Farmar

DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:

Or, more likely, teams have adjusted to the Lakers' vastly (over last year) imroved defense and the Lakers haven't adjusted yet - that means they either will or this batch of players has peaked. Phil Jackson teams play D. Who was the one that talked about Phil not working on defense in 2004? Wasn't it Gary Payton of all people?
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:

Amen. Even the last couple of Shaq/Kobe/Phil teams were very weak defensively. Then Gary Payton opines on his way out of town that the team never really practiced defense.

We see the talk in the papers every day about "executing the offense". Yet we see very little proactive conversation about defense. What gives?

I know, I know. "If we execute the offense properly, it will help us defensively." Whatever. That's baloney. The Lakers get consistently WASTED in half-court defensive sets. That has nothing to do with any lack of execution at the offensive end.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:

It must have been a short talk.
KB8@LG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:

This team has about 3 solid defenders and 12 matadors.
Theoretic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rambus talks about Lakers defense on radio

lakersdynasty999 wrote:

:roll:
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rambus talks about Lakers defense on radio

pgbball wrote:
lakersdynasty999 wrote:

Kurt's comments do not clarify the root of the problem.

How does he explain this same team allowing only 95.5 pts/gm in the first 16 losses and in the 10 most recent losses allowing 106.8 pts/gm? Also during those 10 recent losses have allowed 42.2 3-PT% that dropped the team from first to now 8th in 3-PT% allowed? Were they covering each other's weaknesses better then than now translating to an incredible 11.3 pts more per game allowed on recent losses?

Yes, team defense is a weakness not simply because they cannot cover each other's weaknesses but because of a combination of lack of effort, poor conditioning, wrong priorities (more offensive mindedness from players and maybe from coaches emphasizing triangle-aptitude), and poor shot selection leading to better offensive opportunities for the other team.

You're absolutely right. I was thinking the same thing listening to Kurt yesterday. I can understand hitting a plateau or not being able to improve on what you're able to do. What I don't understand is why they have gotten worse, much worse?? That was something he couldn't really explain.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject:

It would be nice to get a quality player with all-around abilities.
Canuck
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
It would be nice to get a quality player with all-around abilities.

Angel....this is the NBA.....those kind of players are a few and far between. And whoever has those players aren't getting rid of them.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject:

It's just lack of effort. No, they aren't good at covering eachother but that isn't the problem. This team needs to develop some heart and pride in their defense. They must come in with some effort.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

Phil doesn't really strike me as a team defense guy.

He's a master when it comes to offense but defensively, he has always had elite defensive players.

Jordan-Pippen-Grant
Jordan-Pippen-Rodman
Kobe-Shaq

I think Phil likes to work with teams that have good individual defenders.
That way he can focus on offense and finishing games because defense will be there, no matter what.
jaberwock2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
It's just lack of effort. No, they aren't good at covering eachother but that isn't the problem. This team needs to develop some heart and pride in their defense. They must come in with some effort.

The perimeter defense has been the worst problem. Smush in particular needs to show some effort on defense. He's really starting to look like (dare I say it) Chucky! He plays as if he's entitled to his minutes. He's not, he's just the best of a poor lot, and we have few options at the moment.

Sasha would be starting if he could make a few shots.

We really miss Profitt. He would come in and play hard on the defensive end, slash a little and make the occasional jumper on offense.

I really believe this isn't going to change until Kobe and the coaching staff make a decision that Kobe's going to split his effort between offense and defense. He's been working harder on defense the last few games, and in order to get the rest of the team doing it, he's going to have to go harder yet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: