If Bynum was stronger, would he be near as good as Shaq???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Strong Bynum as good as Shaq??
Yes. Especially with KAJ's coaching...
41%
 41%  [ 16 ]
No way in HECK!!! Shaq is a FREAK! There will NEVER be another Shaq!
33%
 33%  [ 13 ]
Maybe. If all of the stars are aligned...
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 39

angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Mike,

If you observe players in college, a player doesn't peak as a freshman. Players continue to improve. The senior year frequently is their best year. If you look at the world record for the 100 meters in H.S., you will find it is 10.08. For college the record is 9.92. The world record is 9.77. World records are most often achieved by male athletes in their mid-twenties.

"Strength peaks around 25 years of age"

http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/agingex/agingex.html

All the H.S. athletes in Chicago tested rather poorly. H.S. is not the athletic peak. Bynum will continue to get stronger for several years.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

angel,

It helps when NCAA players actually have time to work on their game.

The NBA has a busy, busy, busy schedule. Less time to work individually compared to college. Players like Dwyane Wade and JJ Redick are essentially "self-made" because of their work ethic at the NCAA level, which I doubt they could commit at the NBA level without taking a longer period of time.

Besides, I wasn't just referring to kids out of HS, but any player between 17-23.

I was also referring to basketball peak, far different from athletic peak.

Plus, referring to the HS athletes in Chicago last season, you have to see where they tested poorly. It wasn't even the best crop of HS athletes.

I'd almost bet the house, it was only because of the lack of reps on a 180lb. bar.

But when it comes to quickness, speed, vert., it wouldn't be surprising to find them among the elite, even among the athletic college kids.

You specifically are referring to strength. I'm referring to athletic peak as a whole. There is a point to adding so much strength, a player loses quickness.

So, do I doubt Bynum will gain strength? Absolutely not. Am I banking on him to be a quick, explosive player like Shaq, Amare Stoudemire, or Tyson Chandler at age 19? No way.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
he's not Shaq but as someone pointed out, he's yet to grow into his body...if he can improve his mobility, he has the brains to outthink most Cs on offense...

That's the thing. He needs to grow into his body.

Jermaine O'Neal his rookie year, the explosiveness was there. I don't recall him looking that clumsy.

The critical year is 19. Stoudemire, KG, Chandler, etc. All explosive out of HS despite being a year older than most HS competition.

The last time I recall someone looking like they still needed to grow into their body was Chris Webber age 13-16. Granted, the footage I saw wasn't much, but the guy was tripping over himself he was so skinny.

I don't think I'm underrating him athletically. Simply put, he's more Duncan (athletically, not skill-wise) than Stoudemire. Period.

Difference? Doesn't have the footwork just yet. I'd hardly call Duncan explosive.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:

If Bynum turns out to be a tall version of Tim Duncan, who can skyhook, I will be quite happy.
WestCCa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject:

It's so difficult to say.

Compare their skill sets in their rookie years, excluding the difference in age.

Shaq was all power, and always had been, from high school all the way through college. He had to add finesse as his career progressed to compliment his power game.

Bynum appears to be just the opposite. At this point, his game is all finesse (and remember, that's only being reinforced by the coaching of Kareem, arguably the greatest finesse center of all-time). Bynum is going to have to add power to his game to compliment the finesse he already possesses.

It will certainly be interesting to watch.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject:

Bynum is currently attending the college of the NBA. It's a vocational school where he learns an applied science. He has teachers with a great deal of real life experience. Although he is in the NBA, his primary role is learning. He's here instead of on a regular college team.
Neza
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject:

As long as he is willing to bust his ass on and off the court any team (lucky us) will benefit from him for a looooooong time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: