If we already know who it is, why not just spill the beans?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: If we already know who it is, why not just spill the beans?

Long time reader but I never really posts. I've been through that stint with the Artest rumors, the KG rumors, the Boozer rumors, and etc. The biggest difference I see with this rumor is a majority of the credible "insiders" agree there is a significant trade.

If you've been on CL, you've probably read through the 100+ pages where insiders have dropped hints. These hints were not very solid in terms that people already figured them out and it all points to T-Mac. LD2K even made a video blatantly showing T-Mac. So any attempts of "keeping this on the downlow" is basically gone.

Therefore my question is, what is the purpose of all the efforts of ambiguity? If we weren't really supposed to know because it might affect the trade, well most of us with good reading comprehension already know.

P.S. This thread isn't to bash insiders. Thanks for giving us something to talk about but I really can't understand the mentality of dangling a live worm over a pond of hungry fishes.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

...or do you?
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

Nobody knows anything for certain, I don't see the problem. Yes there are T-Mac rumors, which have gotten pretty crazy since emplay's latest article. But there are also Boozer/K-Mart/KG rumors.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I really can't understand the mentality of dangling a live worm over a pond of hungry fishes.

That might turn some people on
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:

It is far more probable that we DON'T do any sort of significant deals this week.

But, if, if, IF there is even a SHRED of anything coming our way, DON'T FREAKING JINX IT!!!

All of you, go outside, turn around three times, and spit... or curse... or spit, or whatever!

MIM
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
Nobody knows anything for certain, I don't see the problem. Yes there are T-Mac rumors, which have gotten pretty crazy since emplay's latest article. But there are also Boozer/K-Mart/KG rumors.

Yes no one knows for certain. That much is true. BUT some insiders are withholding info stating it might jinx the deal. YET they put out blatant clues and we know they are talking about T-Mac. You can say the clues can be interpreted in any ways but if you follow the other threads, there's really no one they can hint at other than T-Mac. So their efforts to keep it a hush has failed.
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

who wants to bet that mitch cannot get a deal done, like always?

this is going to be the roster that we have at the end of the season, folks. get used to it. mitch always clanks free throws in the clutch. nothing happening. BOOK IT.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject:

I'll agree that there seems to be much more of an anticipation of something big with the "insider"/credible posters; but its very hard to gauge how "close" trades are - whether or not they actually materialize is binary; they happen or they don't. That's why for any trade rumor, wait until the trade is finalized, and the player is sitting on the Laker bench, to celebrate. (heck, we even had a picture of Marcus Banks holding up a Laker jersey). Anything could happen in between, derailing a trade.... which brings me to my next point:

Smokescreens

The best/most recent example of a smokescreen that comes to mind for me comes w/ the drafting of Andrew Bynum. Word around the league/internet was that the Lakers were drafting a high-school kid... named Gerald Green. In a session with Mitch & season ticket holders, it was mistakenly leaked that they were looking at a 17-year old - this tidbit was seemingly immediately covered up by the mods/veteran posters. Why? To accomplish the Laker agenda - like a magician; have everyone focus their eyes elsewhere, while the other hand does the trick; with everyone expecting the Lakers to take Green, (and Mitch having Bynum cancel his workouts with other teams), the Lakers had Bynum all to themselves, while other teams probably scrambled to find out what the Lakers saw in Green. I don't remember many mock drafts prediciting the draft of Bynum, with sports reporters digging at other angles due to a lack of rumor chatter on Bynum. I defintely fell for the Green ploy - watching the draft, I was exicted that Green fell to the 10th spot, and was expecting Stern to call out his name; and when Bynum's came out, I was surprised. Which brings us to the present day, a few days before the trade deadline is over....

Why all the recent focus on TMac?

Is this the actual target, or are we after KG, or some other combination of players (with T-Mac as another Gerald-Green-esque smokescreen)? Heck, I definitely don't know, and can't tell if the plethora of recent "insider" posts are tells, or bluffs. Heck, LD2K also made a video in the summer for the potential KG trade - our trade rumors are getting highlight vids now With the growth of the internet, fantasy sports, and fan message boards like LG; the NBA fan's experience is more immersive - we don't just watch purely the basketball anymore; for better or worse we'll read into subplots, and trade rumors help accentuate the emotional investment into a team.

So, sit back, enjoy the ride, and feel the rush of the trade speculation. As a fan, its fun to fantasize about moves the team can make. Just don't accept anything as the absolute truth, until you see some official press release, with the player dressed in the P&G, sitting on the Laker bench.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:

If the T-Mac rumors are true.. what do you think

Rockets Fans are doing right now..

Rockets Players..

Fans are calling the GM and telling him that if he trades away T-Mac that they can just cancel the season tickets RIGHT NOW .. and possibly call their lawyers to force a FULL REFUND

Can you imagine the Rockets minus T-Mac?
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:

I don't think we know the full story so the Insiders can't tell us right now.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:

Trey wrote:
If the T-Mac rumors are true.. what do you think

Rockets Fans are doing right now..

Rockets Players..

Fans are calling the GM and telling him that if he trades away T-Mac that they can just cancel the season tickets RIGHT NOW .. and possibly call their lawyers to force a FULL REFUND

It's not hard to imagine considering he's missed a large portion of this season already.
minervafilms
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Trey wrote:

Exactly why this trade will never ever happen.
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

IMHO, the blatant hints and the point of this thread lead to the same conclusion: SMOKESCREEN. Some insiders said it was a good trade, an all-star, then someone spilled T-Mac and everyone jumped in. Kind of useful, because if it's not T-Mac, it's a perfect smokescreen. So the insiders might have used the fact that everybody thought it was T-Mac we would be trading for.

JD suggested someone from the East, an all-star but a player many would "wonder about the fit". This was BEFORE the T-Mac rumours. I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden it's AI or Pierce, just because NOBODY (except die-hard fans) are speaking their names.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

What I really can't imagine is T-Mac who has been the man for a very long time suddenly being told that he will be the 2nd option. This is just to far fetched for me... If Tracy has the trade option claus in his contract he will nix this deal so fast that nobody will ever know that it may have happened, of that I'm absolutely sure... It would be interesting seeing a team try and, stop Bryant and T-Mac. This would indeed make the Lakers instant contenders. If the Lakers could convince T-Mac of that possibility and work around that ego that would require a flatbed seperate from the rest of his luggage he would be seriously welcome in LA I'm sure...

There is no (bleep) way...
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:

PiPisKobesByatch wrote:
who wants to bet that mitch cannot get a deal done, like always?

this is going to be the roster that we have at the end of the season, folks. get used to it. mitch always clanks free throws in the clutch. nothing happening. BOOK IT.

So if they don't make a trade, it's Mitch's fault?
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

Always Ziggy... Always because no matter what Mitch is up against it is his fault just for having the damned job. (bleep) the reasons Laker fans (some anyway) want results even if they aren't remotely possible...

Otherwise Odom will be blamed somehow!
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

If T-Mac doesn't become a Laker, that's not because Mitch is a bad GM; the trade was far-fetched to begin with.

But if there are no changes, Mitch will be responsible for whatever happens in the next 30 games.
minervafilms
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
This would indeed make the Lakers instant contenders.

No it wouldn't.

No defensive upgrade. No interior presence. No one to facilitate the offense. T-mac isn't even especially athletic anymore after all the injuries. It would however relieve the scoring burden off Bryant, but McGrady's points come, like Kobe's, from isolation more than anything else.

This deal is simply not happening, and anyone who's getting themselves worked up about it is going to be sorely disappointed.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

There are no beans to spill. Anyone's guess is as good as the next person's. All we should do now is wait till Thursday and hope something happens in between.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Trade deadline has teams mulling possibilities

SI writers' take on trade deadline possibilities...

Not one mention of the Lakers, or T-Mac.

Methinks that many LGers get their trade 'rumors' from this site, and CL.

Last edited by re4ee on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Here is a task

Think of all the ways a trade could be squashed if all the details were leaked BEFORE it was finalized

Think from both sides of the fence
2The4th
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:

This is what I am expecting

NOTHING Happens

That's right. Nothing happens. Move along, nothing to see here.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Guys, I know people consistently tell everyone to calm down, and it does little good (the analogy of holding a worm above a fishtank was appropriate), but I'm going to say it again anyway --

Calm down.

I've said this elsewhere, but for every deal that gets done, there were many deals that were nearly done but hit a snag. And for every one of those, there were many that were seriously discussed. And for every one of those, there were many that the teams talked about.

This week there are many deals at the "serious discussion" stage, and possibly even at the "nearly done" stage. But it's still more likely that a deal gets killed than completed. That's just the nature of the business.

There are some people who have access to information in the early stages, which is both good and bad. Once something gets leaked, people start expecting it to get done -- again, it's much more lilely that it does not get done.

So again, for those of you watching the news wire, looking for the news to break of the Lakers acquiring KG, or T-Mac, or Michael Jordan's cryogenically frozen and recently thawed clone, remember, the odds are in favor of nothing happening, despite what the GMs are discussing.

So please, calm down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:

God, if there's no moves at all, can you just imagine the hate for Mitch on this board come Friday morning?

Count me in...
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

There were no T Mac rumors until Eric's article. It was K mart so we need to all stop being delusional about Tmac/KG unless we really have something to offer those teams.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: