Is Kobe scoring less making this team better?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Is Kobe scoring less making this team better?

j/w what you think.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:

in the long run, id say yea.
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

maybe in the long run, but not in the short term. We could have won a few of those previous games with Kobe chucking it up, especially against bad teams IMO.
Mr. Mojo Risin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

no
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

KobeButler wrote:
in the long run, id say yea.

I agree, in the short term, Hell No, in the long term yeah its good. The other guys need to get their shots and get involved in the offense. That way down the road they'll be ready
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:

I don't know....but he's on pace for a quadruple double with 9/4/4/5.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Judging by the last few games...no.

No amount of getting some of these chumps "involved" is going to make them better.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Can't turn lead into gold.....

Jake Speed, 1986
KobeFTW
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:

spray paint will do the job
Tracy McGrady, the player closest to matching Kobe in pure individual ability, was 'no picnic to deal with either. I heard that every time someone says 'get back on defense,' his back hurts. "the last season'-Phil Jackson
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:

They're more like mercury.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Kobe scoring less is a result (primarily) of teams changing up their strategy.

Since early in our 7-game road trip, teams have started to double him
not after he gets the ball, but either before - or as he bring it up
the court, doubling him as early as half-court.

They'll figure out a way to exploit teams for doing this.

But in the short-term, it's worked for alot of teams against us, especially
with LO and Mihm out like they were.

Kobe, in the long-run, should go back to being a 28-30ppg scorer, if
you're talking about what's best for the team.

But yes, in the short-term, we need him to score like he has most of the
season and that's our best chance to sink into the playoffs and have a shot
at upsetting someone.
KobeFTW
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:

spray paint will do the job
Tracy McGrady, the player closest to matching Kobe in pure individual ability, was 'no picnic to deal with either. I heard that every time someone says 'get back on defense,' his back hurts. "the last season'-Phil Jackson
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject:

kobe was scoring over double teams earlier on in the season, so i don't buy it that he's just doing what the defense dictates... he's making a conscious effort to pass up shots..

but i don't see it helping this team at all.

seeing as how most of these players will be gone in 1 or 2 years, i really don't see what the point of sacrificing games for team play is. if we were investing in our current nucleus for a long time, then i would understand..

but guys like smush, kwame and lamar will not be around more than 1 year, in my opinion.. so what really is the point of losing these winnable games .. if it's not helping the team get any better any time soon
amkilam
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Kobe will get his points any why he wants...but in todays game i see him helping out of the weak defense more...he's being a more nuisance on defense brining more steals and blocks...even tough he is one of top defenders in the league, he helping out more of the defensive side and even scoring a bit less.
lakers_less_340+
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject:

PiPisKobesByatch wrote:
kobe was scoring over double teams earlier on in the season, so i don't buy it that he's just doing what the defense dictates... he's making a conscious effort to pass up shots..

seeing as how most of these players will be gone in 1 or 2 years, i really don't see what the point of sacrificing games for team play is. if we were investing in our current nucleus for a long time, then i would understand..

but guys like smush, kwame and lamar will not be around more than 1 year, in my opinion.. so what really is the point of losing these winnable games .. if it's not helping the team get any better any time soon

Read what sodapoppenski wrote and try to understand, you are referring to doubling after he got the ball, sodapoppenski explained how he was being doubled before he gets the ball, makes a big difference!
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Passing the ball doesn't increase his team mates natural testosterone level ... This team is stacked with dudes who lack FIRE.. missing their COJONES..
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

He's playing like Artest.
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:

lakers_less_340+ wrote:
PiPisKobesByatch wrote:

Read what sodapoppenski wrote and try to understand, you are referring to doubling after he got the ball, sodapoppenski explained how he was being doubled before he gets the ball, makes a big difference!

he wasn't facing that type of defense tonight.

want proof that kobe scoring is more beneficial to this team? turned a single digit lead into 18 within MINUTES.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

amkilam wrote:
Kobe will get his points any why he wants...but in todays game i see him helping out of the weak defense more...he's being a more nuisance on defense brining more steals and blocks...even tough he is one of top defenders in the league, he helping out more of the defensive side and even scoring a bit less.

Great post! This is exactly what I was thinking. Kobe is setting records for steals and defending like crazy. This is what leadership is all about. Kobe is leading by example. When I saw Dev B-slappin the fool Pattersons (bleep) to the other side of the hoop I lost it! Guys like Dev and kobe putting forth that kind of an effort are going to embarrass the rest into showing some emotion on the defensive end. Smush could be really good and, I think in due time he will be. Smush already has the hands, he just needs to work on his footwork. Kobe went to work in the 4th just like he should do offensively and, the Lakers had a pretty balanced attack. Kobe knows if the troops can get sharp by playoff time it can only benefit him, and the Lakers. If any consistency developes with LO, Devean and Mihm with Cook standing on the perimeter waiting to be served this Laker team is going to fool a lot of people. Kobe is impressing me with this effort... I'm lovin it! He could turn it up just a notch offensively maybe but, if anybody else is getting off early let em roll. How stupid will the oppossing defense look clamping down on Bryant while the others are all in double digits scoring by the half?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:

Kobe played a very well paced game.

It helped that Lamar Odom was able to step up and take over as the leading scorer for most of the game.

That's the thing. Trust is a two-way street. Kobe must trust the team, but the team must also show Kobe why he should trust them. Tonight Odom and a few of the guys did show that.

To me, Kobe is more of a leader when he's playing defense like that (Pressuring the point, weakside help, rebounding) than dropping 35-40 points. He can score at will. He is more valuable playing defense like that and then closing out the game (like he did). That's what he did in the championship days.

Next game is on TNT - It will be interesting to see if Kobe comes out the same way pacing himself and attacking towards the end of the game when it needs to be closed out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
I don't know....but he's on pace for a quadruple double with 9/4/4/5.

Man if he gets 10 steals in a game just give him DPOY already!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: