Trade Slava for a veteran PG and we're set.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

And regarding Spree, the man has other things on his head, if he comes back to the NBA you cant expect him to focus and play consistently, if he comes back hell just ride someone's (Pistons, Spurs, Heat) bench to get a title.
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trade Slava for a veteran PG and we're set.

AirKobe8 wrote:
filipensses wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
filipensses wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Seriously, thats all we need.

Trade him for a vet. that can shoot and is smart.

Not many names pop on my mind right now but there's certainly a bunch of them ou there.

I wouldn't say it's ALL we need. We still need a post scoring threat, a pure shooter (ok, this could be your pg) and a deep bench (right now, it's basically Cook - on some nights - and George). And I wouldn't go as far as saying there's certainly a bunch of them out there. Veteran smart PG's who can shoot are not exactly falling from trees. Although not a "pure" PG, I'd like to get Spree, Lakers could have a shot because he must be starving right now...poor Spree .

I do agree thats not all we need, I may have overvalued our roster, but wed be a much more stable team having a veteran. We wouldnt make dumb mistakes in crunch time. We wouldnt blow up late leads, and we wouldnt see so much of bad shot selection, I dont think Spree is a good fit though, I thought someone on the lines of David Wesley(is he injured?) Mo Williams or even Chucky Atkins....

Lakers' dumb mistakes in crunch time are mostly due to bad execution than to the lack of a veteran PG. We blow up late leads because this is team is not consistent enough and they're not being able to stick to the game plan and play freakin' team defense. With our roster AS IT IS, when we play team defense and execute well, we are a hard team to beat. We already beat very good teams like the Clippers, the Sixers, the Heat, the Mavs...the point is: we need to be consistent and play defense. The problem is that it's hard to achieve this when there's no one not named Kobe you can rely on to score.

As our system does not requires a "pure" PG, I'd vote for Spree because he can hustle in defense AND he can score. Sucky can't play defense and can't score ON A CONSISTENT basis.

A veteran PG would minimize the dumb mistakes, cuz with him and Kobe handling the ball on crunch time, there would be no Sashas or Odoms taking early shots, we need a guy with experience and balls to take clutch shots if needed.

It's not about handling the ball, it's about execution. Sasha and Odom do take early shots because they often see themselves in a situation where they have no clue about it's up for them to do, so they shoot. Keep in mind that the triangle offense is very intrincated. We had GP, and although he was an all-star and one of the best PG's the league ever saw, he got lost in the offense. GP playing for the Lakers was a pale shadow of what he used to be. I can't think of a veteran PG better than GP, and if he was not "the hero", why would anyone else be?

I do agree that we need help at the PG position, it's just that I don't see it as a solution to our problems as you stated in the original post.

The best thing that could happen to tha Lakers regarding roster changes right now would be adding a scorer without giving up Odom. The paradox of Odom is that he's the ultimate role player, and that fact alone moves him from being a role player to a very good player. Of course, I realize that we most likely won't get this scorer withoug giving Odom in exchange. If we could free cap space for 2007 in order to sign Bosh, then we're a PG away from being a championship-caliber team. By then, I assume Bynum should be a starter - he does not even be the player we project him to be, all I ask is play defense and put your body against other bigs. Ou roster could be something like this:

PG - (?)
SG - Kobe
SF - Odom
PF - Bosh
C - Bynum.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Trade Slava for a veteran PG and we're set.

filipensses wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
filipensses wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
filipensses wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Seriously, thats all we need.

Trade him for a vet. that can shoot and is smart.

Not many names pop on my mind right now but there's certainly a bunch of them ou there.

I wouldn't say it's ALL we need. We still need a post scoring threat, a pure shooter (ok, this could be your pg) and a deep bench (right now, it's basically Cook - on some nights - and George). And I wouldn't go as far as saying there's certainly a bunch of them out there. Veteran smart PG's who can shoot are not exactly falling from trees. Although not a "pure" PG, I'd like to get Spree, Lakers could have a shot because he must be starving right now...poor Spree .

I do agree thats not all we need, I may have overvalued our roster, but wed be a much more stable team having a veteran. We wouldnt make dumb mistakes in crunch time. We wouldnt blow up late leads, and we wouldnt see so much of bad shot selection, I dont think Spree is a good fit though, I thought someone on the lines of David Wesley(is he injured?) Mo Williams or even Chucky Atkins....

Lakers' dumb mistakes in crunch time are mostly due to bad execution than to the lack of a veteran PG. We blow up late leads because this is team is not consistent enough and they're not being able to stick to the game plan and play freakin' team defense. With our roster AS IT IS, when we play team defense and execute well, we are a hard team to beat. We already beat very good teams like the Clippers, the Sixers, the Heat, the Mavs...the point is: we need to be consistent and play defense. The problem is that it's hard to achieve this when there's no one not named Kobe you can rely on to score.

As our system does not requires a "pure" PG, I'd vote for Spree because he can hustle in defense AND he can score. Sucky can't play defense and can't score ON A CONSISTENT basis.

A veteran PG would minimize the dumb mistakes, cuz with him and Kobe handling the ball on crunch time, there would be no Sashas or Odoms taking early shots, we need a guy with experience and balls to take clutch shots if needed.

It's not about handling the ball, it's about execution. Sasha and Odom do take early shots because they often see themselves in a situation where they have no clue about it's up for them to do, so they shoot. Keep in mind that the triangle offense is very intrincated. We had GP, and although he was an all-star and one of the best PG's the league ever saw, he got lost in the offense. GP playing for the Lakers was a pale shadow of what he used to be. I can't think of a veteran PG better than GP, and if he was not "the hero", why would anyone else be?

I do agree that we need help at the PG position, it's just that I don't see it as a solution to our problems as you stated in the original post.

The best thing that could happen to tha Lakers regarding roster changes right now would be adding a scorer without giving up Odom. The paradox of Odom is that he's the ultimate role player, and that fact alone moves him from being a role player to a very good player. Of course, I realize that we most likely won't get this scorer withoug giving Odom in exchange. If we could free cap space for 2007 in order to sign Bosh, then we're a PG away from being a championship-caliber team. By then, I assume Bynum should be a starter - he does not even be the player we project him to be, all I ask is play defense and put your body against other bigs. Ou roster could be something like this:

PG - (?)
SG - Kobe
SF - Odom
PF - Bosh
C - Bynum.

The whole Gary Payton thing didnt work cuz he cant shoot. If you put a shooter in the triangle, he'll succeed, thats why a very average PG like Fisher was able to get some respect. We dont need that much, but understand that with a veteran pplaying better D and shooting better itd be much easier to win close games, Smush and Sasha are too raw to play late game defense, and they foul their man too quick, Aaron McKie would make a hell of a difference on this team. About 10 losses this season were because of dumb stuff late game.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:

(yet another reason Francis and his 25% from the arc are better off in NYK than with us)
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

This is a great idea, all that's left is the easy part; finding a team that wants Slava. I'm sure they are dying to trade a serviceable PG for the offensive machine that is Slava.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject:

vandido626 wrote:
This is a great idea, all that's left is the easy part; finding a team that wants Slava. I'm sure they are dying to trade a serviceable PG for the offensive machine that is Slava.

It's called "3 million dollar expiring contract"
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

vandido626 wrote:

It doesn't have anything to do with Slava the player.

Slava = cap relief this summer for whoever has his contract.

That does nothing for us, because we're over the cap either way.

For another team, who has an extra PG however - and can use the
extra room off their cap - it makes sense to make the swap.

That's the point.
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
vandido626 wrote:

That's the point.

Slava money doest seem like a good enough cap relief IMO. 3 mil or what ever he makes doesnt seem like enough bait, at least not straight up.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

vandido626 wrote:
sodapoppenski wrote:
vandido626 wrote:

That's the point.

Slava money doest seem like a good enough cap relief IMO. 3 mil or what ever he makes doesnt seem like enough bait, at least not straight up.

For a team that is way over the luxury tax, or has to re-sign a key FA, every million of capspace is important.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: