Bryan Colangelo, next Lakers President and General Manager?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Bryan Colangelo, next Lakers President and General Manager?

Honestly, why don't the Lakers go after Colangelo? If everyone is going to blame Mitch for trading Shaq and Butler, getting Kwame and not getting Artest, why don't the Lakers hire Colangelo?

Is there a hotter President and General Manager available than Colangelo?

Jerry Buss needs to right the ship and it starts with the front office. Jerry Buss can never make up for letting Jerry West leave the Lakers, but hiring Colangelo would be a solid start.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39274/20060222/colangelo_appears_ready_to_take_toronto_gm_job/

Quote:
Colangelo Appears Ready To Take Toronto GM Job
22nd February, 2006 - 12:54 pm
KPHO.com - Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo could be heading north of the border.

Colangelo is reportedly in talks to become the new GM of the Toronto Raptors . Both sides met Tuesday in Toronto. League sources said Colangelo appears ready to accept the position as soon as the "final details," are worked out. That would include salary talks that may more than triple his salary, to $3 million.

Bryan Colangelo's contract expires after this season.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Colangelo is arguably the best GM in the league.

Certainly in the mix.

I don't actually think Mitch is as terrible as some think, but I'd gladly swap
him out for Colangelo.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bryan Colangelo, next Lakers President and General Manager?

iml84myd8s wrote:
Honestly, why don't the Lakers go after Colangelo? If everyone is going to blame Mitch for trading Shaq and Butler, getting Kwame and not getting Artest, why don't the Lakers hire Colangelo?

Jerry Buss needs to right the ship and it starts with the front office. Jerry Buss can never make up for letting Jerry West leave the Lakers, but hiring Colangelo would be a solid start.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39274/20060222/colangelo_appears_ready_to_take_toronto_gm_job/

Quote:
KPHO.com - Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo could be heading north of the border.

Colangelo is reportedly in talks to become the new GM of the Toronto Raptors . Both sides met Tuesday in Toronto. League sources said Colangelo appears ready to accept the position as soon as the "final details," are worked out. That would include salary talks that may more than triple his salary, to $3 million.

$3 million to a GM! Jerry Buss would NEVER do that. NEVER. Not even for Jerry West. Buss want's to leave as much as possible to his children (both natural-born as well as Magic & Kobe, his two adoptees).
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:

I too don't think Mitch is a bad GM. However, perception is tough to overcome. Mitch has taken a beating because of Jerry Buss. Nobody should feel sorry for Mitch, because he's paid well to be Jerry's floor mate.

However, Colangelo restores creditability just like the rehiring of Phil Jackson. This would be a big move for the Lakers. If Jerry Buss approached Colangelo, it would be difficult for him to turn down the opportunity to be the GM of one of the greatest franchises in history.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bryan Colangelo, next Lakers President and General Manager?

Aussiesuede wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:

Quote:

$3 million to a GM! Jerry Buss would NEVER do that. NEVER. Not even for Jerry West. Buss want's to leave as much as possible to his children (both natural-born as well as Magic & Kobe, his two adoptees).

It tough to argue. Lately, Jerry Buss has been holding his walet a little tighter than usual. However, Jerry did shell out $10 million per year for a coach who bashed his organization in his tell-all book.

Jerry Buss is still a smart business man. Sometimes it takes money to make money. Colangelo is worth it! Especially, if you consider what Buss is paying Kwame.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject:

why bother? Buss makes all the calls anyways.
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Magic Johnson is worth $600 million according to VH1. I'm not sure whether I believe that or not, but he's probably at least somewhere in the vicinity.
eddie8
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Magic and MJ will be co-owners of the las Vegas team
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:
Magic Johnson is worth $600 million according to VH1. I'm not sure whether I believe that or not, but he's probably at least somewhere in the vicinity.

Magic has a lot of business ventures such as Starbucks, TGIFs, etc. That's why he's worth so much.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:

$600 million probably not far off. Forbes ad him at $540 million two years ago and I'm sure he's earned some money in that time, so $600 mill seems even a bit conservative...

Wow...Surprising. Magic is actually worth mre than Jerry Buss at a whopping $800 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Johnson
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Laker fans are not the only ones that think that Mitch is doing a bad job.

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature/480/20060221/the_recently_least_successful_gms/
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bryan Colangelo, next Lakers President and General Manager?

Quote:
It tough to argue. Lately, Jerry Buss has been holding his walet a little tighter than usual. However, Jerry did shell out $10 million per year for a coach who bashed his organization in his tell-all book.

Jerry Buss is still a smart business man. Sometimes it takes money to make money. Colangelo is worth it! Especially, if you consider what Buss is paying Kwame.

I always thought Buss was somewhere in the middle when it came to the pocketbook amongst owners, but surprisingly his net worth is closer to the bottom. No wonder he's become more frugal. $380 million isn't really an astonishing amount in this day and age.... There are a number of athletes who are worth more than Jerry is, including two who he's employed, and Kobe's not far off either.....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-salary-owners.htm
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Lakers will not go after Colangelo. If you haven't noticed, the Lakers have a very conservative front in the way they operate. GM,s just don't come and go as they do on other teams. And if I recall, The last coach let go or fired was back in 82, or there abouts.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:

^It wasn't so conservative under West.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
mike_kb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Probably why West isn't here anymore.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Who will be the next Lakers owner? Jeanie or Jim?
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Another clear, undeceptive thread title.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bryan Colangelo, next Lakers President and General Manager?

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

I always thought Buss was somewhere in the middle when it came to the pocketbook amongst owners, but surprisingly his net worth is closer to the bottom. No wonder he's become more frugal. $380 million isn't really an astonishing amount in this day and age.... There are a number of athletes who are worth more than Jerry is, including two who he's employed, and Kobe's not far off either.....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-salary-owners.htm

That list isn't very accurate. You have about 6 owners with a stated net worth of less than the market value of their teams. The Lakers are valued at over 400 Mil alone. Dr. Buss still has real estate holdings in AZ and CA.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
Colangelo is arguably the best GM in the league.

Certainly in the mix.

I don't actually think Mitch is as terrible as some think, but I'd gladly swap
him out for Colangelo.

I agree with Soda. There are worse GM's to have i.e. Isaiah Thomas, and Babcock. Mitch is at the most an average GM but I'll still take Colangelo over him.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is going to be around as long as Phil is going to be around. When Phil goes, Mitch goes. Phil and his triangle offense is driving this train.
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

I went to the USA Today page and started to read some of the biographies and came across George Shinn's,

New Orleans Hornets
Owner: George Shinn
Net worth: $100 million

How he earned his money: Began chain of business schools, then expanded into real estate, auto dealerships, publishing and a traffic reporting company.

Education: No college. Five honorary degrees

I saw that and was speechless and all I can say is that only in America can you own a basketball team and have a net worth of $100 million that was started by owning a chain of business schools, and you don't even have a college degree. Wow. I guess there's hope for all of us if we just dare to dream and put our noses to the grindstone.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject:

mike_kb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Probably why West isn't here anymore.

And look what happened next...
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Too bad. It seems the Raptors are first in line to get Mr. Colangelo.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2006/02/22/Sports/colangelo_raptors_gm060222.html
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:

gill2k wrote:
Too bad. It seems the Raptors are first in line to get Mr. Colangelo.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2006/02/22/Sports/colangelo_raptors_gm060222.html

This could all be rational for the rally some here suggested outside Staples...
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject:

5th Least Successful GM in the league. Enough said.

Jerry Buss needs to restore RESPECT in the Lakers front office!

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature/480/20060221/the_recently_least_successful_gms/

The Recently Least Successful GM's

21st February, 2006 - 5:21 pm

5) Mitch Kupchak, L.A. Lakers

Let's keep the Kobe and Shaq thing to one side, and look at everything else.

Kupchak's efforts to improve his team this past offseason involved re-hiring Phil Jackson (good), trading his third best player for bust-of-the-decade-thus-far Kwame Brown (not good), burning half of his MLE on this year's "Would have been put down if they were a horse" award winner, Aaron McKie (bad), and bringing in nobody else of any note. Unless of course, you opt to include Smush Parker. A man who, whilst respectable as a player, is benefitting as much from circumstances right now as anybody else in the league, except maybe Eddie House. To surround possibly the game's best talent with a supporting cast accurately described as 'dodgy', doesn't leave your team with a lot of options. Indeed, they have only one option: to turn Kobe loose and see what happens.

Previous seasons haven't gone a whole lot better. The team is paying Brian Grant $16 million to not be there, burnt their MLE this year on Aaron McKie, and the one the season before on Vlade Divac. The club continues to have glaring weaknesses at point guard and center, weaknesses that have not been addressed. The team has stayed largely injury free this year (or at least, the main rotation has), yet is stuck on an even .500 record. The One-Mamba band has the franchise merely treading water. It gets bums on seats, and the team is holding a winning record as a result. Yet it's hard to argue that this team has a lot further to go, and that this is not the limit of this current roster. And that is something to which Cupcake must take the flak. After all, he built it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: