Dave Smith: Jeanie buss and kurt rambis "don't know" Kwame's contract status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone know who Kwame shares an agent with?

As in upcoming FA's
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

hawshark wrote:

Lakers management is either incompetent or intentionally
deceptive -- I'm not sure which is worse.

There's a lot of that going around these days if you're paying attention to whose running our country.

(Now back to our regularly scheduled lamentations.)
kemi4kobes
Star Player
Star Player

uberzev wrote:
Eff this team other than Kobe. I'm serious.

my thoughts exactly.
"I wish I could draw a picture of the look on their faces..... For a time, it was like he was on the court by himself. It's like God put Kobe here for us to watch him play basketball." - LO On KB8's Performance Against the Clips 07/01/06
hawshark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Scherm wrote:
hawshark wrote:

Lakers management is either incompetent or intentionally
deceptive -- I'm not sure which is worse.

There's a lot of that going around these days if you're paying attention to whose running our country.

(Now back to our regularly scheduled lamentations.)

Yes. It appears its becoming a National trend.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:

kemi4kobes wrote:
uberzev wrote:

my thoughts exactly.

I hope eff this team includes management too.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
kemi4kobes wrote:
uberzev wrote:

my thoughts exactly.

It does
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Does anyone know who Kwame shares an agent with?

As in upcoming FA's

Arn Tellem represents TMac and KMart as well. This is definitely something I was thinking about during all these crazy trade rumors.

As far as upcoming free agents - not sure. I think Jamal Magloire.
kemi4kobes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
kemi4kobes wrote:
uberzev wrote:

my thoughts exactly.

It does

my thoughts exactly.

ugh, i need a hug
"I wish I could draw a picture of the look on their faces..... For a time, it was like he was on the court by himself. It's like God put Kobe here for us to watch him play basketball." - LO On KB8's Performance Against the Clips 07/01/06
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Relax, guys. Everyone understands your frustrations, but the Lakers not making a trade today doesn't suddenly turn Magic Johnson into a brilliant GM. It doesn't suddenly turn Rambis into a terrible assistant coach. It doesn't suddenly turn Dr. Buss into a horrible owner who needs to be replaced by an ownership group run by Magic Johnson. All that stuff is nonsensical rantings because you're fans who are understandably disappointed and upset.

As for the interview, yes, it's frustrating to not get a straight answer, but does anyone here have any doubt that Jeannie and Kurt were told what they could or could not discuss? It's like your boss giving you parameters of what you can discuss with clients, and your clients blaming YOU for that.

Finally, things WILL get better. The Lakers WERE involved in a lot of trade discussions for serious impact players. A lot of those players' teams decided to hold onto them and wait for the off-season to see if they could get better offers. I'd rather be involved in THOSE trades. If you guys think it's worth trading Lamar Odom for Crawford and Frye, for example, then when the summer comes and AI, Tmac, KG, Paul Pierce and JO are all available, and our trade package is headed by "Channing Frye..." instead of Lamar Odom, we've robbed ourselves of a legitimate chance to put a true star next to Kobe Bryant. And before all of you start bashing Odom in response to this, it doesn't matter one iota that YOU don't like Odom. It matters a hell of a lot more that OTHER GMs around the league love the guy. He has far more value than Frye, Crawford or anyone on our team not named Kobe and possibly Bynum.

As for smaller deals, I agree with you guys. We should have traded even 1 lousy expiring K for a better bench player. I am VERY disappointed in that and there's no excuse for it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
As for smaller deals, I agree with you guys. We should have traded even 1 lousy expiring K for a better bench player. I am VERY disappointed in that and there's no excuse for it.

Well said (the entire post that is) but I think there's one legitimate excuse why a small trade didn't happen.

Phil + contract length of those players. I don't think he would want George or Mihm gone for a player that's not going to help significantly.

He is a HUGE believer in team chemistry and while he would probably want a big time talent like Artest etc - I don't think Flip Murray entices him too much to want to give up his current rotation.

Just a guess, but I do think there were reason's for no trade being made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hawshark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Sorry -- Jeannie Buss can hardly be termed an "employee" --

She's about as high up the ownership ladder as you can get.

People are upset with the Deception coming right from the top. . . by an organization that commands top dollar by its consumers.

If the Lakers screwed up by exercising the option -- fine -- then admit it.

To be deceptive about it or worse lie about it (implicitly -- by the organization trying to "sell" the 2007 plan to its fans -- knowing that its an impossibility) is unacceptable.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it has to with an agent?

They might want Kwame's agent to deliver them a FA in the upcoming seasons

Again I ask - Does anyone know who shares an agent with Kwame?
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:

If it were only so easy as to give up being a Laker fan, then none of us would suffer as this franchise suffers. Oh.....the cruelty of this serfdom!!
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Well said (the entire post that is) but I think there's one legitimate excuse why a small trade didn't happen.

Phil + contract length of those players. I don't think he would want George or Mihm gone for a player that's not going to help significantly.

He is a HUGE believer in team chemistry and while he would probably want a big time talent like Artest etc - I don't think Flip Murray entices him too much to want to give up his current rotation.

Just a guess, but I do think there were reason's for no trade being made.

I suspect the same thing, too, Wolf, and perhaps no one wanted Slava, even though it is an expiring K. But it doesn't take away the frustration that 9 mil in expiring K will just walk for nothing. I supppose we can look at it like WE'LL get the benefit of that, but we really needed some depth. Oh well.

I'm still a Laker fan regardless, and I still believe that Jerry Buss will ultimately make whatever moves he has to to win titles. Say what you will, but the man loves to WIN. The bigger trades, though, I'm dead serious about. I'd rather wait for the summer to deal Lamar and be part of the superstar sweepstakes. With that many superstars on the block (and they will be on the block), we stand a very good chance of landing one of them. After all, that's five (5) guys so while the top 3 might go to Chicago, or Dallas, for example, our offer will be competitive with the last 2-3. That matters far more to me than blowing the chance on a lesser player just because we get him now.

Last edited by LakerJam on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:

hawshark wrote:
Sorry -- Jeannie Buss can hardly be termed an "employee" --

She's about as high up the ownership ladder as you can get.

People are upset with the Deception coming right from the top. . . by an organization that commands top dollar by its consumers.

If the Lakers screwed up by exercising the option -- fine -- then admit it.

To be deceptive about it or worse lie about it (implicitly -- by the organization trying to "sell" the 2007 plan to its fans -- knowing that its an impossibility) is unacceptable.

I don't buy that's why most of you are really upset. That argument, while valid, just gives fans something more tangible and justifiable to bich about. It's a valid point, don't get me wrong, but most fans are pissed off that the Lakers didn't improve this team right now. Why do I believe that? Because most here already knew about Kwame's 3rd year guarantee. Larry Coon had already confirmed it.

Today's anger has little to do with that and everything to do with no trades made to improve this roster before this deadline. This "deception" is just another reason to be pissed. And it's understandable.

Last edited by LakerJam on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
RAMATAM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Lessee now, the main thing I got out of this 'alleged' interview is that Jeannie will suggest to Laker management to start looking for a hypnotist for Kwame!??! WTF?! While they're at it, they should look for a cardiologist for Sasha,
Saliva, and Puke Walton (missing hearts), an ophthalmologist for Devin Green and Von Wafer (poor court vision), a gastroenterologist for Odom and Smush (both very irregular), a mystic for Phil (to smack him out of his transcendental
state), a financial advisor for Brian Grant (self explanatory), and..........oh yeah...........a proctologist for Mitch Kupcrack who obviously needs a reality enema!!!
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If you guys think it's worth trading Lamar Odom for Crawford and Frye, for example, then when the summer comes and AI, Tmac, KG, Paul Pierce and JO are all available, and our trade package is headed by "Channing Frye..." instead of Lamar Odom, we've robbed ourselves of a legitimate chance to put a true star next to Kobe Bryant.

Sorry, but you and I both know what isn't going to happen. Lets see they passed up Odom for Pierece in the summer, Odom for Peja, Odom for Artest. The passed on Baron Davis and Steve Francis 3 times. Rashard Lewis was a possibility for Odom. Kenyon Martin, they passed on him for good reason. Allstars don't fall into your lap all the time. Lets face it we had a horrible season last year and the best trade they could make was Kwame for Caron and Atkins. Now with less assets than last offseason we're going to land KG or AI? Pass the Pipe!
Face it management wouldn't know a good deal if it hit them in the face.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

We (bleep)ing passed on a lot of better free agents this past summer because all we were willing to give was a 2 year deal for that damned 2007 plan -- and then now they fudge it all up for Kwame (bleep)ing Brown, and won't even tell us straight up????

LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Showtime_Returns wrote:
Quote:
If you guys think it's worth trading Lamar Odom for Crawford and Frye, for example, then when the summer comes and AI, Tmac, KG, Paul Pierce and JO are all available, and our trade package is headed by "Channing Frye..." instead of Lamar Odom, we've robbed ourselves of a legitimate chance to put a true star next to Kobe Bryant.

Sorry, but you and I both know what isn't going to happen. Lets see they passed up Odom for Pierece in the summer, Odom for Peja, Odom for Artest. The passed on Baron Davis and Steve Francis 3 times. Rashard Lewis was a possibility for Odom. Kenyon Martin, they passed on him for good reason. Allstars don't fall into your lap all the time. Lets face it we had a horrible season last year and the best trade they could make was Kwame for Caron and Atkins. Now with less assets than last offseason we're going to land KG or AI? Pass the Pipe!

KG ain't happening, that's true. AI shouldn't happen because he's a bad fit. But there are 5 superstars who will be shopped. FIVE (5). That puts us in the running, even if you refuse to recognize that. With so many of them available - a rarity in this league, by the way - it puts us in the hunt because there are only so many teams with (a) resources and (b) a willingness to gut their rosters or mess with chemistry to acquire someone making that kind of money. A team that is doing well, for example, realistically might choose to not even participate. 20 teams aren't going to get in the fray with serious offers. Likely there will be about 5-7 teams who will be dead serious in these talks and will pony up quality to land these players. We stand a very good chance of landing one of these guys, and it's a chance worth taking. 31 games is not so long that we shouldn't even try.

You can live bemoaning the past. I choose to look to what's ahead because I can't change the past. That's my prerogative and your choice to disagree.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
As for the interview, yes, it's frustrating to not get a straight answer, but does anyone here have any doubt that Jeannie and Kurt were told what they could or could not discuss? It's like your boss giving you parameters of what you can discuss with clients, and your clients blaming YOU for that.

Actually, fans attending games help contribute to put who goes on the floor don't they? So I think it should be a right for us to know if Kwame Freaken Brown has a third year. I honestly hate doggin' away at our roster but until Kwame becomes the Beast that HE SAID he would be, he deserves it.
hawshark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

From the Trading deadline standpoint --

I'm not upset the Lakers didn't pull of a "blockbuster" type deal at all. Those are incredibly difficult to pull off -- especially multi-team trades that were the ones rumored in the blockbuster deals.

I am concerned that Mitch has consistently been unable to capitalize on his trade assets (ie. trade X's, ending K's).

This year we had DG's and Slava's Ks to work w/ and couldn't get anything done. Part of the reason we waived Profit (who Phil felt had a future w/ the franchise) was so we could use Slava's ending K as trade bait. Now, those two assets are gone. Poof.

I would've thought that Mitch could've made some minor moves to help the future of this franchise w/ those assets -- particularly since the additional restrictions inherent w/ the 2007 Plan are no longer present.
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Showtime_Returns wrote:
Quote:

KG ain't happening, that's true. AI shouldn't happen because he's a bad fit. But there are 5 superstars who will be shopped. FIVE (5). That puts us in the running, even if you refuse to recognize that. With so many of them available - a rarity in this league, by the way - it puts us in the hunt because there are only so many teams with (a) resources and (b) a willingness to gut their rosters or mess with chemistry to acquire someone making that kind of money. A team that is doing well, for example, realistically might choose to not even participate. 20 teams aren't going to get in the fray with serious offers. Likely there will be about 5-7 teams who will be dead serious in these talks and will pony up quality to land these players. We stand a very good chance of landing one of these guys, and it's a chance worth taking. 31 games is not so long that we shouldn't even try.

You can live bemoaning the past. I choose to look to what's ahead because I can't change the past. That's my prerogative and your choice to disagree.

I gave you concrete examples of chances we had to land other allstars and you side stepped the issue. How are the Lakers going to make a push for players this summer when 1)They have little assets as far as contracts, young prospects and picks. 2) Lamar Odom's stock has taken a nosedive 3)It's now even harder to match up salaries. Like I said we had a chance at a slew of allstars and passed up on all of them. I don't bemoan the past, I use it as a barometer to measure the impact of future moves. If Lakers couldn't or didn't make a play back then, what makes u think they will this offseason.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Relax, guys. Everyone understands your frustrations, but the Lakers not making a trade today doesn't suddenly turn Magic Johnson into a brilliant GM. It doesn't suddenly turn Rambis into a terrible assistant coach. It doesn't suddenly turn Dr. Buss into a horrible owner who needs to be replaced by an ownership group run by Magic Johnson. All that stuff is nonsensical rantings because you're fans who are understandably disappointed and upset.

Then please explain to me the motivation for lying about Kwame's contract status?

The whole situation REEKS of someone purposely blowing smoke up our asses. The question is, why?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Well, I think it's pretty much a given that they indeed guaranteed Kwame's 3rd year. Rambis said he "has that kind of information in my office", but didn't know the answer at that moment. :roll: LoL please! How could he not remember something like that? It changes the entire direction of the franchise.

Mitch recently said a couple weeks ago that he wants to improve the team in the future, but if they look too far down the road, then fans will lose interest. That shows that management is worried about the fan base jumping ship. They're not yet willing to reveal that they're wasting Kobe's prime.

They want to buy as much time as they can, because each passing day brings them another day closer to 2008. Don't be surprised if they don't make it public until the deadline of NEXT season. That way they can say, "just one more season after this one until we get Kobe some real help, hang tight!" The 2007 plan is officially dead. Time to start looking at the free agents in 2008.

wolf- I don't know exactly what the cap will be set at for the 08/09 season, but I do know that for THIS season, the Player's Association and the League agreed to a cap set at $49.5 million. I believe it will increase by then, however.

Here is how they come up with salary cap:

Quote:
Each July the league projects Basketball Related Income (BRI) and benefits for the upcoming season. They take a defined percentage of projected BRI (see the chart below), subtract projected benefits (about $112 million in 2005-06), and make adjustments based on whether the previous season's BRI was above or below projections. They then divide by the number of NBA teams (except expansion teams in their first two seasons) to arrive at the cap. The salary cap adjusts each year on the first day following the July Moratorium

This can be found in Larry Coon's FAQ under question #10.
Point a Minute
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:

These are our players contract status during the summer(06/07). What could we possibly get???? We still would have to wait until the deadline NEXT season to take advantage of the expiring K's.

Smush Parker .......... 790K
Ronny Turiaf ........... ?????(TO 06/07)
Brian Cook ............. 1.5Mil
Chris Mihm ............. 4.2Mil (expiring)
Aaron McKie ........... 2.7Mil (expiring)
Luke Walton ........... 1.2Mil (expiring)
Kwame Brown ........ 8.2Mil
Sasha Vujacic ......... 973K (TO 07/08 )
Kobe Bryant ........... 17.7Mil
Andrew Bynum ....... 2.0Mil
Lamar Odom ............ 12.5Mil
Von Wafer ............. 660K(TO 06/07)

It's going to be a long wait..............
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: