February 23rd:Lakers likely to pass on making any trades. Lakers bury the Kings.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: February 23rd:Lakers likely to pass on making any trades. Lakers bury the Kings.

Lakers likely to pass on making any trades
Jackson would be OK without a deal, adding the team is addressing its weaknesses.

By JANIS CARR
The Orange County Register

EL SEGUNDO – Lakers coach Phil Jackson expects today's trade deadline to pass without the Lakers acquiring a veteran guard.

Forward Devean George never knows what to expect.

Last year at this time, George was somber, thinking his time as a Laker was over. He had been the subject of several trade rumors and appeared headed elsewhere.

George was all smiles Wednesday, 24 hours before the deadline. What's changed? His attitude.

"I've been the subject of rumors so many times, I'm immune to all that now," said George, who is in the last year of a contract that pays him $5million this season, making him an obvious commodity. "The trade rumors don't affect me."

Last edited by Phil on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject:

Odom Getting His Shot and He Starts to Take It
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

Lamar Odom had one of his most productive games as a Laker, leading Wednesday to a series of day-after questions from reporters, most asking the same basic thing: Why doesn't this happen more often?

"There you guys go again," Laker Coach Phil Jackson said, rolling his eyes.

Odom, whose scoring average had fallen to 13.9 points before Tuesday's game, stepped through the Portland Trail Blazers with a 20-point, 17-rebound effort in which he took more shots than Kobe Bryant, making nine of 21.

Only one other time this season had he shot as often, making 12 of 25 in a 90-84 loss to San Antonio in November.

Jackson acknowledged telling Odom to shoot more often at halftime of the Lakers' 99-82 victory against Portland.

"He turned down so many shots," Jackson said. "I just said, 'Keep the defense honest. You're going to have to shoot…. Don't feel like you have to pull up and not take a shot just because you haven't been shooting well.' "
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject:

George's place seems secure
By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

EL SEGUNDO - On the day before the NBA trade deadline last February, Lakers forward Devean George started saying his goodbyes, telling reporters "I think my time is limited" and talking about the three championship rings he won.

If anything, George's value only has increased in the year since. He finally has recovered from his July 2004 ankle surgery, his play has improved and his expiring contract is salary-cap friendly for interested teams.

Yet George did not sound overly concerned Wednesday about being traded in advance of today's noon deadline, especially given the month he is having. He is averaging 11.5 points a game in February and is secure in his role with the Lakers.

"A year ago, I was still hurt, still rehabbing, trying to get through," George said. "Now I'm in a comfortable role. I know what coach wants me to do. He wants me to come off the bench, stabilize the bench, and just help out in all areas."

George's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said he thought the Lakers were fielding calls about George but would decide against moving him, in large part because the 28-year-old forward has regained his athleticism and has the trust of coach Phil Jackson.

"Every single trade rumor, I'm involved," said George, who will be a free agent this summer. "I'm kind of numb."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:

Anderson could be traded
Name floated, but a few things hold back a deal

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets moved close to today's trade deadline without a deal, but at least five teams are considering acquiring guard/forward Derek Anderson.

The Rockets have tried to complete a deal to move Anderson to the Heat, Cavaliers, Lakers, Nuggets or Magic.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Has Finishing Touch
He scores 11 of his 36 points in final quarter, when Lakers pull away for a 106-85 victory over Sacramento.
From the Associated Press
February 24 2006

Kobe Bryant scored 11 of his 36 points in the fourth quarter and added a season-high 10 assists, and the Lakers took command early in the final period to beat the Sacramento Kings, 106-85, Thursday night at Staples Center.

Lamar Odom had 19 points, six rebounds and nine assists, and Devean George had 15 points and nine rebounds for the Lakers (28-26), who won for the third time in four games and snapped a three-game losing streak to the Kings.

Mike Bibby scored 25 points, Brad Miller added 16 and Ron Artest had 15 points, six rebounds and seven assists for the Kings (25-30), who fell 31/2 games behind the Lakers in the battle for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

Bryant and George scored nine points each during an 18-3 run to start the fourth quarter, giving the Lakers a 95-75 lead. The Kings didn't threaten after that, and wound up shooting 5-of-18 while being outscored 29-13 in the final period. The Lakers shot 12-of-21 in the quarter.

Bryant scored five points to cap a 9-3 spurt that put the Lakers ahead 69-56 with 7:13 left in the third quarter. But he picked up his fourth foul less than a minute later, sending him to the bench.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Kobe heats up to lead Lakers past Kings
2/24/2006, 12:22 a.m. CT
By JOHN NADEL
The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Kobe Bryant scored 11 of his 36 points in the fourth quarter and added a season-high 10 assists, and the Los Angeles Lakers took command early in the final period to beat the Sacramento Kings 106-85 Thursday night.

Lamar Odom had 19 points, six rebounds and nine assists, and Devean George had 15 points and nine rebounds for the Lakers (28-26), who won for the third time in four games and snapped a three-game losing streak to the Kings.

Mike Bibby scored 25 points, Brad Miller added 16 and Ron Artest had 15 points, six rebounds and seven assists for the Kings (25-30), who fell 3 1/2 games behind the Lakers in the battle for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

Bryant and George scored nine points each during an 18-3 run to start the fourth quarter, giving the Lakers a 95-75 lead. The Kings didn't threaten after that, and wound up shooting 5-of-18 while being outscored 29-13 in the final period. The Lakers shot 12-of-21 in the quarter.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Blast Over Kings, 106-85

Save It
Email this Article Email It
Print this Article Print It

(AP) LOS ANGELES The Sacramento Kings had a few good men, but they could not handle Kobe Bryant.

Bryant scored 36 points and added a season-high 10 assists as the Los Angeles Lakers pulled away for their third win in four games, a 106-85 victory over the Kings.

Lamar Odom contributed 19 points and nine assists and Devean George added 15 points for Los Angeles, which shot 52 percent (41-of-78 ) in winning back-to-back games for the first time since January 22-27.

Mike Bibby made a jumper to draw Sacramento within 81-74 with 9:25 remaining, but Bryant promptly answered with a difficult fadeaway over Ron Artest, who was glued to the league's leading scorer on the play.

After the basket, Bryant ran back downcourt and slapped hands with actor and renowned Lakers fan Jack Nicholson.

On the ensuing trip, Bryant drilled another jumper and soon thereafter found George for a 3-pointer to extend the cushion to 88-74 with 7:40 to play.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: