Dave Smith: Jeanie buss and kurt rambis "don't know" Kwame's contract status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:

^I thought we should have traded Devean for Ruben. George is going to leave this summer unless he's willing to sign a 2 year deal, and we'll get nothing in return. Oh well, maybe they're happy with how he has stepped up recently. It's a contract year, so he's right on schedule.
golden1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:

RAMATAM wrote:
Lessee now, the main thing I got out of this 'alleged' interview is that Jeannie will suggest to Laker management to start looking for a hypnotist for Kwame!??! WTF?! While they're at it, they should look for a cardiologist for Sasha,
Saliva, and Puke Walton (missing hearts), an ophthalmologist for Devin Green and Von Wafer (poor court vision), a gastroenterologist for Odom and Smush (both very irregular), a mystic for Phil (to smack him out of his transcendental
state), a financial advisor for Brian Grant (self explanatory), and..........oh yeah...........a proctologist for Mitch Kupcrack who obviously needs a reality enema!!!

Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
Eff this team other than Kobe. I'm serious.

Agree 100%. The Lakers have officially become the Clippers.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Klassix wrote:
uberzev wrote:

A team that does nothing and going nowhere? I wouldn't say we're there yet, but awfully close...
FerrisVille
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:

This team better find a way to sign Mihm, because if the Lakers lose him due to FA that will be one hell of a major screw up.

Teams are going to be lining up to grap a 7 footer who is smart and continually progresses.
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

gp5 wrote:
This team better find a way to sign Mihm, because if the Lakers lose him due to FA that will be one hell of a major screw up.

Teams are going to be lining up to grap a 7 footer who is smart and continually progresses.

Starting with the Snaq trade, everything done has been a major screwup. Getting stuck with Brian Grant's joke of a contract was bad enough, but to not get Wade in that deal is just unacceptable. I really can't think of ANYTHING they have done right since the Snaq trade. I would say the fox/payton trade, but how they botched that not getting banks, AND giving Boston their 1st round pick denies that.
GMWEST
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Does anyone know who Kwame shares an agent with?

As in upcoming FA's

I have looked for FA connect to Tellum and have not found any, BUT, interesting enough that ALL the names we heard the Lakers were interested in were all Tellum clients.
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject:

Man, the Lakers sure looked good tonight. Lamar was solid.

uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

FredG wrote:
Man, the Lakers sure looked good tonight. Lamar was solid.

I take back everything I said.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:
shnjb wrote:
Where do these callers come from?

Besides the first few callers, everyone sounds like they work at McDonald's

Judging from many opinions I read on the various message boards (incl. this one)... I'd say they're all members of those same sites.

Have you guys seen the recent couple of McDonald's commercials?

They're EXACTLY like Dave Chappelle's "Wac Donalds" skits.

"Working at McDonalds is SUCH a great job, and it lets me BE somebody!"

:roll:
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject:

Klassix wrote:
uberzev wrote:

I dunno about 100%. Especially when ya remember #8.

But those Staples Rivalry games are gonna have a Lappers vs. Clikkers
feel for awhile.

It could get confusing.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
I'm still a Laker fan regardless, and I still believe that Jerry Buss will ultimately make whatever moves he has to to win titles. Say what you will, but the man loves to WIN.

It doesn't matter that Buss wants to win, Mitch Kupchak is the GM and he's a proven bum at this point. Two straight years of no deadline deals and the team hasn't improved since the rebuilding started in July 2004. That means the Lakers will have completely and totally wasted two seasons of Kobe's prime (including this one) simply because Kupchak can't close deals. It's sad.
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
I'm still a Laker fan regardless, and I still believe that Jerry Buss will ultimately make whatever moves he has to to win titles. Say what you will, but the man loves to WIN.

It doesn't matter that Buss wants to win, Mitch Kupchak is the GM and he's a proven bum at this point. Two straight years of no deadline deals and the team hasn't improved since the rebuilding started in July 2004. That means the Lakers will have completely and totally wasted two seasons of Kobe's prime (including this one) simply because Kupchak can't close deals. It's sad.

I guess you missed last night's game.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

We haven't had a deadline deal for 10 years to the month.

That extends far beyond Mitch's days as GM.

Ever think maybe that has something more to do with Buss and his preferences?

Makes sense to me anyhow.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:

It's been 7 years actually.

We traded for Rice in '99.

While it's true it's not only Mitch who doesn't want deadline deals - I think he is a big reason that we don't have deadline deals too. He seems to believe the same things Phil does about team chemistry and not wanting to upset the team's makeup unless it's a BIG move.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
captain jack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:

I also listen to the Rambis and Jeannie interview and became so incensed that I changed the radio station. Our organization is in trouble without an exceptional GM. The only way we can push for change is not attend games. Jeannie's idea of riding Kobe just appears to me as the organization's gimmick to get people to purchase tickets -- this is a smoke screen and I am not buying it. Just because we beat two bad teams in a row (Portland and Sacramento) does not change my feelings either. Like I've said on previous post...in order for us to win Kobe has to score 35+ points per game. That's not good basketball.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

captain jack wrote:
I also listen to the Rambis and Jeannie interview and became so incensed that I changed the radio station. Our organization is in trouble without an exceptional GM. The only way we can push for change is not attend games. Jeannie's idea of riding Kobe just appears to me as the organization's gimmick to get people to purchase tickets -- this is a smoke screen and I am not buying it. Just because we beat two bad teams in a row (Portland and Sacramento) does not change my feelings either. Like I've said on previous post...in order for us to win Kobe has to score 35+ points per game. That's not good basketball.

Actually I think Jeannie is trying to be a positive person.

You know someone (bleep)es about Kwame's game and she's like well do you watch Kobe?

I know as a fan, I am thankful that during this re-building process the Lakers have a player like Kobe who is entertaining to watch.

My initital hardcore years as a fan were in the early 90's. I am enjoying it this time around way more than I did last time. Why? Because we have Kobe ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
abc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject:

GMWEST wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Does anyone know who Kwame shares an agent with?

As in upcoming FA's

I have looked for FA connect to Tellum and have not found any, BUT, interesting enough that ALL the names we heard the Lakers were interested in were all Tellum clients.

Are you sure that ALL of them were Tellum clients? I know that T-mac is a Tellum client. But I thought that Boozer used to be a client of Rob Polenka, who's no longer associated with Tellum. Did Boozer switch to Tellum?

Also, before Tellum left SFX, Emplay admitted that one of his "sources" (who also was a source for Vescey) was an agent at SFX. I doubt it was Tellum, but it's clear that a lot of the "leaks" for trade rumors come from agents.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:

There could very well be a good reason for not disclosing Kwame's contract status. What if the 2007 plan was never meant to sign a free agent, but was only meant to be a threat to nudge a team into a trade? Keeping Kwame's extension private could keep that threat alive to help with a summer '06 trade. Which of course bring up the question: Why do it then? Why not make the threat completely credible by not extending him at all?

Here's where my knowledge of CBA rules breaks down. What if, as has been suggested, Kwame's signing was accompanied by a handshake agreement? We hope for Amare or Yao in '07, but if they extend, we'll take up the 3rd year on Kwame's contract. He likes the agreement, and it pushes him over the edge to accepting our offer rather than going somewhere else. Would this side agreement violate the CBA, and lead to sanctions if discovered? If the Lakers admitted they (irrationally) extended Kwame early, could they do so without admitting this agreement? Seems they could come up with an excuse, like "We have total faith in him, and this was just a way to prove to him that we know he can live up to his potential" or some nonsense like that. Maybe they just haven't settled on what the company line will be, so they're deflecting questions until they do.

Or like I mentioned above, maybe they want there to be uncertainty among rival clubs regarding his status. Can't tell the fans anything you don't want other teams to know about.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
2007-08 contract has reportedly now been guaranteed / 2007-08 contract was orginally not fully guaranteed / Signed 8/2/05 for an assumed $22,680,000 for 3 years
[LINK]

Doesn't mean it's true, but it is one source.

Also look at the note for Lamar's contract...
Quote:
Includes $1,324,528 per year for "Trade Kicker" with Lakers / Salary includes a 25% signing bonus of $13,000,000 ($2,166,667 counts each year)
Maybe that is part of why the Lakers are reluctant to trade him.
straylight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

Jermaine O'neal and Pau Gasol are Tellum clients. Eddie Griffin, Joe Johnson, Jason Collins, may still be with Tellem, or may have stayed with SFX. Eddy Curry is now with Leon Rose (who rrepresents Iverson and LeBron)

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2001/s/2001/0517/1200780.html

That's all I could find for now...

-stray

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: