Bryan Colangelo, next Lakers President and General Manager?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Let's keep the Kobe and Shaq thing to one side, and look at everything else.

Why not include Mitch’s biggest blunder?

Would Mitch be ranked 1st (worst GM) if he had included the Shaq trade? Jerry Buss may have given the orders, but it was Mitch who consummated the deal.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

eddie8 wrote:
Magic and MJ will be co-owners of the las Vegas team

Where did you hear this?

It is amazing that Magic is worth 800 million already considering he only made 1 million a season while playing for the Lakers. Now that is what I call an entrepreneur.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
Quote:

Would Mitch be ranked 1st (worst GM) if he had included the Shaq trade? Jerry Buss may have given the orders, but it was Mitch who consummated the deal.

Did you forget that Shaq was behind the seens directing traffic. The Lakers wanted to send him Indy, Snaq said no b/c it was too cold. They didn't want to send him to Dallas, Dallas backed out. And Snaq demanded it be a team on which he would have someone to play alongside of. That's why the Lakers couldn't get Dwayne Wade. What the Lakers got in exchange was bad but what else was there. And, no, I don't think he and Kobe would have stuck it out for one more season.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bryan Colangelo, next Lakers President and General Manager?

PrplReign wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
It tough to argue. Lately, Jerry Buss has been holding his walet a little tighter than usual. However, Jerry did shell out $10 million per year for a coach who bashed his organization in his tell-all book.

Jerry Buss is still a smart business man. Sometimes it takes money to make money. Colangelo is worth it! Especially, if you consider what Buss is paying Kwame.

I always thought Buss was somewhere in the middle when it came to the pocketbook amongst owners, but surprisingly his net worth is closer to the bottom. No wonder he's become more frugal. $380 million isn't really an astonishing amount in this day and age.... There are a number of athletes who are worth more than Jerry is, including two who he's employed, and Kobe's not far off either.....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-salary-owners.htm

That list isn't very accurate. You have about 6 owners with a stated net worth of less than the market value of their teams. The Lakers are valued at over 400 Mil alone. Dr. Buss still has real estate holdings in AZ and CA.

Actually, Buss has already given ownership shares to both Jim and Jeanie, plus Magics sliver. All added up, I'm sure Buss's number would be larger, but his Legal NET worth is probably close to spot on. Dr. Buss has always been a "share the wealth" kind of guy. Greedy he's certainly not....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Wow!!! Mitch is unable to move $8 million in expiring contracts.

Jerry Buss has to restore order with the front office. Jump in and grab Colangelo before the Raptors do!!! Colangelo and the Lakers are perfect for each other.

Hmmmm....Canada or LA? No disrepect to our Northern neighbors, but we're talking So Cal.
hawshark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately,

Although Colangelo or Kiki would be an ideal choice, both are threats to Jimmy's power and control. . .

thus, they won't be retained.

If [B] - itch is let go, they'll likely replace him w/ another puppet named Ronnie Lester.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:

JC should be a Raptor by Friday.

They offered 3 million per and Phx is thinking about matching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
brandnew
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Well, say goodbye to the Chris Bosh dream. I'm guessing Colangelo will make some very good, smart moves in rebuilding this team around Villanueva/Bosh.
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:
Quote:

Did you forget that Shaq was behind the seens directing traffic. The Lakers wanted to send him Indy, Snaq said no b/c it was too cold. They didn't want to send him to Dallas, Dallas backed out. And Snaq demanded it be a team on which he would have someone to play alongside of. That's why the Lakers couldn't get Dwayne Wade. What the Lakers got in exchange was bad but what else was there. And, no, I don't think he and Kobe would have stuck it out for one more season.

Blah blah blah about Shaq. Sure Shaq played a part, but lets not give him too much credit. If it was any other GM they would have pulled off a better trade with Miami or something with another team. Baron and Magloire was realistic, we could have gotten Dirk, Nash+Walker(expiring contract), J-Howard was realistic, hell even my 6 year old cousin would replace B-Grant with Eddie Jones in any trade made. Face it Mitch is clueless. Give a call to Kiki.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

brandnew wrote:
Well, say goodbye to the Chris Bosh dream. I'm guessing Colangelo will make some very good, smart moves in rebuilding this team around Villanueva/Bosh.

I like Bosh, but he is a wimp.

No stronger than Lamar Odom at the 4 at all. Very weak inside in terms of strength.

Unless you want Bosh to play combo forward like LO does for us now - there's no reason to really have him that high on the list.

Phil likes him mainly because he has the talent that fits the Triangle.

Buss probably wants a big name signed over Bosh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
brandnew wrote:

I like Bosh, but he is a wimp.

No stronger than Lamar Odom at the 4 at all. Very weak inside in terms of strength.

Unless you want Bosh to play combo forward like LO does for us now - there's no reason to really have him that high on the list.

Phil likes him mainly because he has the talent that fits the Triangle.

Buss probably wants a big name signed over Bosh.

Please tell me you're joking. Lamar and Bosh should never be put in the same sentence. Bosh>>>>>>>>Lamar. Besides Lebron who is not even remotely realistic, what bigger name is there than Bosh?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Please tell me you're joking. Lamar and Bosh should never be put in the same sentence. Bosh>>>>>>>>Lamar. Besides Lebron who is not even remotely realistic, what bigger name is there than Bosh

Never compared them as players - what I said was his size was questionable for the west.

He is not the FIRST guy I would go for.

But yeah, no problems with moi if he wounded up a Laker. Very talented forward.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:
Quote:

You just made the point (Mitch is a terrible GM) that much stronger. If Mitch allowed a player to "direct the traffic" so he could determined the outcome of a trade, Mitch definitely deserves to be fired. Shaq had zero power since he was under contract for $30 million. There was no chance Shaq would have sat out for an entire season at his age and gave up his $30 million to prove he had control, just so he could opt out of his final year the following summer.

The RealGM author was nice enough to let this trade not affect his ranking. Otherwise, Mitch would have been the worst GM on his list. Hands down...
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

Jerry Buss has to restore order with the front office. Jump in and grab Colangelo before the Raptors do!!! Colangelo and the Lakers are perfect for each other.

Hmmmm....Canada or LA? No disrepect to our Northern neighbors, but we're talking So Cal.

None taken bud. I visited California last September, and damn, I never wanted to come back up here.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:
Quote:

Wade stayed because Riley knew he was going to be good.

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Please tell me you're joking. Lamar and Bosh should never be put in the same sentence. Bosh>>>>>>>>Lamar. Besides Lebron who is not even remotely realistic, what bigger name is there than Bosh

Never compared them as players - what I said was his size was questionable for the west.

Bosh almost outplays KG everytime they play against each other. Bosh will never be a physical specimen but his other pluses make up for it easily.
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Fair enough, I too agree he would have a challenge out West, but even in terms of toughness and defensive ability he's 100 times better than Odom. Remember this is a kid that played Center as a ROOKIE! I still want to know besides Lebron who can realistically be signed? you seemed to buy into this 2007 capspace plan
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps we need a
HIRE Colangelo Petition!
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:

gill2k wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:

None taken bud. I visited California last September, and damn, I never wanted to come back up here.

Funny you say that. Did you know that there's more Canadians in LA than Toronto?
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:

For whatever it's worth, Chad Ford mentioned in chat the other day that
he thought Kiki is a lock to leave the Nugs this offseason, and Chad
mentioned just two "likely destinations" - one of which was LAL.

Colangelo's probably my favorite, but Kiki is a very close second.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject:

^ I would love to have Kiki here. Let's hope we get one of them.

I'll start my campaign:

ABC = Anyone but Cupchak.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: