KG to LA thread.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Everyone keeps saying "almost all teams can offer better than LA", but is it just me, or is the whole point Garnett wants to be traded (the fact he's disgruntled is why Minny will trade him, you know what I mean), is to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. If the a team like the Bulls dismantle their team by getting Garnett, WHY THE HELL WOULD GARNETT WANT TO DO IT. He'll be in probably a worst situation than Minnesota. Ok ok, maybe I'm being too naive here, and the fact that if Garnett is traded, Minnesota the team's interest will be the first priority, but you do have to think that if Garnett won't stand up for himself and say he doesn't want to go to another team of scrubs (a team of scrubs that him being traded has created), then we should just forget about all these KG to LA deals. Face it, KG to LA only works, if KG wants to come to LA...

The only move that Kupchak made that bugs me the most is having Brian Grant included in the Shaq deal, if we got eddie jones or some scrubs instead....
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers didn't have a center when they opted to accept Brian Grant. I doubt they knew his condition would hurt him as much as it did. He was Miami's starting center. The Lakers were thinking of signing Vlade for the MLE, and playing him for 20-25mpg. They thought Grant could play the balance. The plan was to try to get a young center to backup and eventually replace Vlade. The move to add Mihm was intended to free Grant to move to backup PF behind Karl Malone. It seemed like a good plan, but Vlade was injured practicing spin moves. Karl Malone decided to quit. Grant ended up backing up Mihm at center. Odom who was tabbed to play SF was moved to PF. Butler was made the starting SF. DG was injured about all season. It seemed like a good plan, but it became ugly due to injuries.
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:

loyola66 wrote:
Everyone keeps saying "almost all teams can offer better than LA", but is it just me, or is the whole point Garnett wants to be traded (the fact he's disgruntled is why Minny will trade him, you know what I mean), is to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. If the a team like the Bulls dismantle their team by getting Garnett, WHY THE HELL WOULD GARNETT WANT TO DO IT. He'll be in probably a worst situation than Minnesota. Ok ok, maybe I'm being too naive here, and the fact that if Garnett is traded, Minnesota the team's interest will be the first priority, but you do have to think that if Garnett won't stand up for himself and say he doesn't want to go to another team of scrubs (a team of scrubs that him being traded has created), then we should just forget about all these KG to LA deals. Face it, KG to LA only works, if KG wants to come to LA...

The only move that Kupchak made that bugs me the most is having Brian Grant included in the Shaq deal, if we got eddie jones or some scrubs instead....

The whole point is that Chicago would not have to dismantle their team at all. They have a lot of talent and could easily put a solid starting 5 out there even after the trade.

Something like Tyson Chandler. Chris Duhon and Ben gordon would probably do it. And that leaves them with Hinrich, Nocioni and Deng. In fact, the trade listed above might even be overpaying. Chicago, in the East, with KG would be pretty good. That leave would give the Pistons a run for the division title.

I also think the Nets could over Jeffersen and krystic or something. That would aoso be a solid deal that leaves them pieces (Kidd and Carter).
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
The Lakers didn't have a center when they opted to accept Brian Grant. I doubt they knew his condition would hurt him as much as it did. He was Miami's starting center. The Lakers were thinking of signing Vlade for the MLE, and playing him for 20-25mpg. They thought Grant could play the balance. The plan was to try to get a young center to backup and eventually replace Vlade. The move to add Mihm was intended to free Grant to move to backup PF behind Karl Malone. It seemed like a good plan, but Vlade was injured practicing spin moves. Karl Malone decided to quit. Grant ended up backing up Mihm at center. Odom who was tabbed to play SF was moved to PF. Butler was made the starting SF. DG was injured about all season. It seemed like a good plan, but it became ugly due to injuries.

Eaxctly. It was actually not a terrible lineup for us. It was still a bad trade, but we would have been much better. Our big mistake was Brian Grant. We didn't know he was injured, but we did know he was getting older and had a crazy contract. Couldn't we see that it would destroy our ability to go after free agents? Think about when Mitch said that letting Shaq walk would destoy the team. Actually, we're spending our entire time trying to get out from under the contracts now. If we had only Kobe on the payrool, we could have signed nearly two max players. We could have done a lot of things. Our problem was Kobe. Kobe was gonna walk. So, we had no choihce. Sad really.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:

If KG doesn't force a trade to L.A., he should be traded East.
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject:

you think tyson chandler (useless, injuries), chris duhon (average), ben gordon (ok) would be sufficient for a KG trade? If Chicago gets KG without giving up Deng.....um.....
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:

Exactly, add in Rudy Gump, and you've got quite a mess. However, from Mitch 's perspective, this lineup didn't look bad at the time of the Shaq trade:

Atkins
Kobe
Lamar
Malone
Vlade

with Grant, Mihm, Butler, George, Cook, Walton, Sasha, Jones, Rush, Slava...

If everyone was healthy, this is not a bad team. BUT...
Remove your veteran 5 - Vlade and force Mihm into action
Remove your veteran 4s - Malone (HOF) and Grant and slide Lamar over.
Remove your veteran 3 - Lamar to fill the void at the 4, and Caron has to start at the 3 which depletes the bench, you lose your 6th man who would also spell Kobe, and Luke now has to play his minutes.

Not only were we hurt by losing the vets on the court, but also their poise, their leadership, their presence in the locker room, and their teaching abilites on the practice court. These deficincies were magnified by Rudy T's terrible coaching, the spotlight on the Lakers after trading Shaq and dismissing Phil, the scrutiny of Kobe, Mitch's inexperience, and the naturally high expectations that the Lakers live with. Plus, if we were still squeezing minutes out of Malone and Vlade this year, it would be a huge benefit. Think how much Kwame could learn from Malone, and Mihm from Vlade. And if those vets were enough of a band-aid until 2007, the pie-in-the-sky plan may have actually worked.

Ah, what migh have been. Bynum is the only silver lining from last year, that and Kobe came back with a vengenance.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:

loyola66 wrote:

Reasons for KG to want to come to LA:
1. It's LA - the lifestyle, the weather, the endorsement, his house in Malibu, the women (umm, I mean fans), let's face it LA is the center of the universe.
2. It's the Lakers - Next time you are in Staples, look up at the wall with the retired jerseys and Championship banners. OMFG, that's what its all about. Plus, the Lakers are one of the few teams who could not have to give up their mbest player to acquire KG.
3. It's Kobe - KG and Kobe are boys, their games compliment each other, KG would be the perfect teammate for Kobe, and Kobe would help KG with the only thing people say negative about him, namely his ability to deliver in crunch time (4th quarter, playoffs, game in the balance). It worked pretty well for Shaq.
4. It's Phil - The triangle is perfect for KG's skills, and would showcase his abilities.
5. Bynum - If this kid becomes as good as some think he will, KG can step out and hit the J, have a better chance at single coverage in the post... a million possibilities on offense, and a shot blocking, rebounding anchor in the middle makes everone look better.

Damn, if I were KG, I'd be in lurch's office right now with a baseball bat and a trade proposal.
brandnew
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Chicago could offer New York's Top 5 pick, Gordon, Duhon for KG

They'd still have

Hinrich, Nocioni, Deng, their pick, KG, Chandler...
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
loyola66 wrote:

Reasons for KG to want to come to LA:
1. It's LA - the lifestyle, the weather, the endorsement, his house in Malibu, the women (umm, I mean fans), let's face it LA is the center of the universe.
2. It's the Lakers - Next time you are in Staples, look up at the wall with the retired jerseys and Championship banners. OMFG, that's what its all about. Plus, the Lakers are one of the few teams who could not have to give up their mbest player to acquire KG.
3. It's Kobe - KG and Kobe are boys, their games compliment each other, KG would be the perfect teammate for Kobe, and Kobe would help KG with the only thing people say negative about him, namely his ability to deliver in crunch time (4th quarter, playoffs, game in the balance). It worked pretty well for Shaq.
4. It's Phil - The triangle is perfect for KG's skills, and would showcase his abilities.
5. Bynum - If this kid becomes as good as some think he will, KG can step out and hit the J, have a better chance at single coverage in the post... a million possibilities on offense, and a shot blocking, rebounding anchor in the middle makes everone look better.

Damn, if I were KG, I'd be in lurch's office right now with a baseball bat and a trade proposal.

, well said
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:

brandnew wrote:
Chicago could offer New York's Top 5 pick, Gordon, Duhon for KG

They'd still have

Hinrich, Nocioni, Deng, their pick, KG, Chandler...

Salaries dont even come close to matcing.They would have to trade atleast 16mill to get KG by himself
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Garnett ejected after ball he tosses hits fan

At the Memphis game today.

"I just tossed it," Garnett said outside Minnesota's locker room before leaving the arena at the start of the fourth quarter. "I didn't even look at where I tossed it. I was just so ... mad."

He can't take it anymore. He wants to tplay for the lakers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2346022
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: