Kobe Would Not Be Any Less Of A Leader If...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Kobe Would Not Be Any Less Of A Leader If...

he began to call folks out in the media.

Here's a quote from Kobe a couple of years back when he blasted Laker management over its handling of his feud with Shaq.

I asked Phil on Sunday [yesterday] to say something to calm this situation down before it boiled over. But he backed away, so now here we are. I have been a bigger person every time something happened with Shaq, and I don't expect this to be any different. But somebody in this organization had to speak up, because his unprofessionalism hurt us last year, and I don't want it to hurt us this year.

I feel the time has long past for someone to stand up and start calling out people for their performances. We all know that Phil won't do it, either because he's scared to hurt someone's feelings or just doesn't want to be bothered.

Mitch Kupchak can't say anything because...well, since he acquired the product, he'd actually be criticizing himself.

The Buss family is MIA.

That leaves Kobe as the most viable person to handle this situation.

But he has to be delicate about it.

The first person he has to call out is none other than himself. And he'd deserve a fair amount of responsibility too. He's made his fair share of mistakes. Last night, not only did I see him play poor defense, he outright quit on at least two defensive scenarios.

But after acknowledging his own personal problems with his recent play, it should be open season on everybody from Phil Jackson's inability to make in-game adjustments (did he even consider doubling Pierce?); to Lamar's disappearing act for three quarters; to Kwame and Mihm's disappearing act for two games now; and, to Kupchak's inability to acquire players who will, at the very least, give full effort regardless of what the scoreboard says.

I hate to heap yet more responsibility on Kobe (realizing how it's gonna play in the media), but he's the only one right now that can right this ship.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:

I would rather have Phil try to motivate the players than Kobe, he is much better equipped to do so.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

^^ He won't do it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

He does do it.
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

Kobe still lacks the tacted to do it.....leave it to Phil
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

That's the job of the coach and GM,... leave KB8 out of it... He's already under a microscope... he's doesn't need to come off as being a player/coach/GM.... Just my $0.02...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rpadma12
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

Kobe has said in a recent interview that if he regrets anything from that whole episode, it is that interview with Jim Grey. He called himself immature for taking it public like that.

Kobe isn't going to do that. Phil has to, but I doubt he would. He is taking this season in stride and doesn't seem to care that much.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He does do it.

He does?

OK.

How's that worked out so far?
Narziss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:

There's not much either of them can do regardless as to who speaks up. It would be a bad PR move for Kobe anyway. He's finally getting the respect back. People are back to giving him the praise he deserves. Also, as I've noticed more and more during the past few weeks, the media, announcers and talking boxes out there are actually commenting more and more on how Kobe has no choice but to shoot. They are finding less to criticize and that's good for perception and great for pressure on the front office.

Now I'm not one of these people that believes a trade is going to fix anything immediately. Quite frankly, the Lakers have piddly to offer. This isn't NBA Live 06. It's not as easy as matching up salaries. Otherwise, a whole mess of teams with as much or even more talent than the Lakers would be pulling off trades left and right to improve their mediocre teams.

I do feel, however, that the pressure on the front office will bring some necessary change. People are talking about Kobe wasting his prime, about Kobe having no help and the lack of help the front office is giving him. It will force a situation during the summer. There will be improvements. Unfortunately we have to watch them probably blow another playoff spot this year to get to it.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject:

rpadma12 wrote:
Kobe has said in a recent interview that if he regrets anything from that whole episode, it is that interview with Jim Grey. He called himself immature for taking it public like that.

Kobe isn't going to do that. Phil has to, but I doubt he would. He is taking this season in stride and doesn't seem to care that much.

I believe that Kobe speaking up/out in this situation would be significantly different that what happened in the Jim Gray piece. With the JG interview, Kobe unloaded with personal venom that had accumulated over several seasons. Shaq did not like him, and he didn't like Shaq.

I've no idea of whether or not Kobe likes Lamar, Kwame, and Sasha, but I don't get the sense that he does. What I have no doubts of, however, is that he probably hates the way that they find ways to not show up, mentally, from game to game.

This, IMO, is fair territory.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject:

Kobe's job is too play insipred basketball.

Phil's job is to play the other players who play insipred basketball.

Upper Management's/Ownership's job is to get players who play inspired basketball.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

A player calling out another player in the media would be seen as unprofessional and a stab in the back. No player wants to deal with that, and no other player should want to do that. Phil, as a coach, has done it, and continues to do it.

However, I do need to remind people that Mihm is still playing through a shoulder injury. His disappearing act here is not something to criticize.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

Panthas wrote:

The what?
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
Panthas wrote:

The what?

If Kobe tries to get things settled he will go about it the completely wrong way. Phil will be more "mangerial" about the whole situation.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Panthas wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
Panthas wrote:

The what?

If Kobe tries to get things settled he will go about it the completely wrong way. Phil will be more "mangerial" about the whole situation.

How has his "managing" of the situation been thus far?

And don't get me wrong, in most situations, the head coach is the one who has the responsibility of doing this. But Phil's nature/tendancy is to let things work themselves out. That sometimes works with a veteran team, but with youngsters and low-IQ vets?

Even when he does say something in the media, he makes sure to treat the player with kid gloves. This only serves to diminish the impact of the message being conveyed.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
Kobe's job is too play insipred basketball.

Phil's job is to play the other players who play insipred basketball.

Upper Management's/Ownership's job is to get players who play inspired basketball.

No.

It's the entire organization's job to work with passion, top to bottom.

It's a player's job to improve and execute what the coach wants while exerting leadership abilities.

It's the owner's job to make money. That can come with a winning team, or a losing team. Luckily Dr. Buss cares about the Lakers winning.

It's the GMs and scouts job to make sure the team acquires quality balanced talent.

It's the assistant coaches job to evaluate opposition and develop talent from within on individual skills.

It's the head coaches job to create a gameplan and execute it to the best of his players' abilities.

Any hole in any of the above can cost the team the playoffs.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
Panthas wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
Panthas wrote:

The what?

And don't get me wrong, in most situations, the head coach is the one who has the responsibility of doing this. But Phil's nature/tendancy is to let things work themselves out. That sometimes works with a veteran team, but with youngsters and low-IQ vets?

Even when he does say something in the media, he makes sure to treat the player with kid gloves. This only serves to diminish the impact of the message being conveyed.

True...but if Kobe does it It will be deffiently be OVERKILL..and could hurt some team chemistry.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Panthas wrote:
And 1 wrote:
Panthas wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
Panthas wrote:

The what?

True...but if Kobe does it It will be deffiently be OVERKILL..and could hurt some team chemistry.

Well, I think we can both agree that there's a certain "way" to do these types of things. I can see how Kobe going on a rant on...say, Quite Frankly w/ Smith would be "overkill."

However, if after he acknowledges mistakes he's made in his own game, he then says that it's not good enough for Lamar (and yes, I'd say his name) to show up one quarter per game or 1-2 games out of five, and end his comments about Lamar right there, then that's not so bad. Same thing for Kwame and perhaps Phil Jackson himself.

The results of this is the real key, though.

I know that if I got called out by a teammate, I'd have to have some words with him. Not necessarily through the media, but either before or after a practice. And just air the sh!t out. And this ain't necessarily a bad thing either. Sometimes certain players don't grasp subtleties or hints. They need (and sometimes appreciate) someone that will be straight up with them. Smush, you need to squash that playground sh!t and stay in front of your effin' man. I'll do whatever I can to help you. Or, Kwame, it ain't good enough for you to body someone in the post. You've got to jump and contest shots. And if you ain't trying to bring the noise with a dunk, no layups. I'll do whatever I can to help you.

This also helps in one othe area: When you call someone out, and they don't try to holla back at you? You know they don't care and you goto management and let 'em know that that person isn't totally committed to the project.

You have to have "chemistry" in the first place in order to kill it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
Panthas wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
Panthas wrote:

The what?

On the surface, it might seem so. I put more stock in how Phil is trying to motivate players in practice than in the media. Of course, we never see what happens in practice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: