Blazers have big $$$ troubles

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Blazers have big $$$ troubles

Billionaire Paul Allen's spokesman said Thursday the future of the Portland Trail Blazers is in doubt after Allen's investment managers estimated the NBA franchise stands to lose more than $100 million over the next three years.

Lance Conn, who heads Vulcan Capital, Allen's privately held investment firm, told The Associated Press in an interview that "all options are on the table" because "the economic model is broken."

Allen, a Microsoft co-founder, has lost more than $12 billion on various investments in the past decade, and his NBA team has been hemorrhaging money for much of that time.

He had to sell off his interest in the Rose Garden Arena, the home of the Blazers, after the company that ran it, Oregon Arena Corp., declared bankruptcy.

Conn told AP that Allen has decided it is time to cut his losses with the Trail Blazers -- or find a new way to finance the team.

"No business person could justify these kinds of losses continuing," Conn said.

complete story
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject:

Astounding that anyone can lose that kind of money. Allen made some very aggressive venture capital deals in telecom, which surprised me because I thought anyone with a background in tech and a brain would have avoided that sector. I believe his high-tech plays also backfired.

I wonder if he'll try to beat the Maloofs to Vegas?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:

He's sure invested in wacky stuff - did you hear about his investments in trying to develop planes that fly into space? His venture company, Vulcan Ventures, has been swinging and wiffing big time for years.

I used to live in Seattle and worked for Microsoft - lots of legendary stories about Allen there. He does spend a lot of dollars on community projects as well though.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

We should try to take Juan Dixon off their hands.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Planes that fly into space? I'm all about team chemistry but he shouldn't ride in the car with his players.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

We've got an opening down here in the OC. We can even call them the Los Angeles Trailblazers of Anaheim, If he wants to make a few extra benji's.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:

Move them to Vegas. We need an NBA team here. I've gone to the last two preseason games here, but it's not the same.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
Move them to Vegas. We need an NBA team here. I've gone to the last two preseason games here, but it's not the same.

I'm not sure if Stern the dictator will allow that, especially after what happened with Jordone.
Aphex Twin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
We've got an opening down here in the OC. We can even call them the Los Angeles Trailblazers of Anaheim, If he wants to make a few extra benji's.

The Kings (NBA) are moving to OC. And, the owner of the Pond and Ducks wants an NBA team also.

2 LA and 2 OC NBA teams would be great.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Aphex Twin wrote:
The Dagger wrote:

The Kings (NBA) are moving to OC. And, the owner of the Pond and Ducks wants an NBA team also.

2 LA and 2 OC NBA teams would be great.

That is very possible. The OC is one of the richest counties in the world. I believe they have the third biggest population of any county in the U.S. Any basketball team would thrive here. OC residents have so much money they literally don't know what to do with it. I could easily see both teams coming down south.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if The Donald is now having second thoughts about having left The Pond uninhabited.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

New rumors today on the Magoofs moving their team to the OC. Came straight from the horse's mouth.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:

In that case, the cowbells definitely have to go.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: