Cookie: Like Him, or Not?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:

I feel that Cook is well on his way to becoming a decent NBA player. He will certainly be as good as a lot of the names that people have been screaming that we should trade for especially as he gains some more experience.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

Purplereign34 wrote:
dont like his nickname

Puppycrap?
circusmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:

Something that goes unnoticed about Cook's defense is his team defense awareness. He always there to help out on penetrators. But due to his lack of physical prowess, he can't do much but put his hands up or try to take a charge. Nonetheless, it's much better than Kwame's help defense which is having a guard score a layup behind your back unnoticed.

i like him
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Cook has a 50/50 chance of being a Robert Horry type of role player for the Lakers. He needs a little more seasoning and obviously the right defensive coaching.

Last edited by orwell on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
in comparison to the rest of our roster, he is playing well. In comparision to the otther forwards in the NBA, he sucks.

Couldn't have said it better.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

cook43 wrote:
Cook's numbers for this month:

14 points per game
4.5 rebounds per game
50% from 3
25 minutes per game
89% from the line
55.6% from the field

Rebounds should be at 7 or 8, but not much else to complain about with his offense. Defense, well we all know that is a big weakness and it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Actually, his team defense is solid. Unfortunately, since we don't help each other enough as a team, it doesn't matter how good 1 player's team defense is. The lack of being a strong man-to-man defender is made into a huge gaping whole, because they just don't work as a unit out there. That makes their man-up deficencies that much more of a glaring problem.
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:

He'll never be a great man-on-man defender, but he's good with the weakside help D. Cook will definitely take a charge and go to the floor for a loose ball...can't fault him there. You won't see the shot-clock expire while Cook's got the ball, that's for sure. He's freaking fast on the catch and shoot.

All in all, I'd say he's pretty darn good considering how long he's been in the L. If he continues to improve at the same rate, he will be a great asset off the bench for years to come.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I like Cook. Cook is a specialty player. Every team needs or should have one. I just hate the fact we dont take advantage of his shooting whenever hes in the game. Any time hes in the game, we should exploit his shooting till the opposing team starts to take notice. Only play we really run for him and is the ugly pick and roll with Kobe. I say "ugly" cause Kobe's behind the back pass is a thing of ugly.
Octavian
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

i think if we geeen lighted him, he would be pretty darn good!
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I hope he continues to work on his game. He goes to BMC each Summer to improve. His shooting is outstanding. If he continues to work on his defense, he should get plenty of PT.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Cook is not far off. He has the potential to be a huge piece for this team.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
cook43 wrote:
Cook's numbers for this month:

14 points per game
4.5 rebounds per game
50% from 3
25 minutes per game
89% from the line
55.6% from the field

Rebounds should be at 7 or 8, but not much else to complain about with his offense. Defense, well we all know that is a big weakness and it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Actually, his team defense is solid. Unfortunately, since we don't help each other enough as a team, it doesn't matter how good 1 player's team defense is. The lack of being a strong man-to-man defender is made into a huge gaping whole, because they just don't work as a unit out there. That makes their man-up deficencies that much more of a glaring problem.

I'm shocked you really think that. Yes, team defense is a concept. It takes the abilities of EVERY player on an individual basis first, team second, to run a successful defensive team. The point of having a team defensive scheme is to "enhance" what a team can do defensively with 1 or 2 players as a primary focus.

What's sad is, I do see Cook rotating.

I also see he rotates late, or he's not providing much shotblocking presence, or he's failing to box-out.

That's not a knock on his IQ. That is a knock on his athleticism.

Finally the Lakers are a team that have some length and athleticism. We're no longer a team getting killed on offensive rebounds with under 2 minutes to play like last season. We're no longer a team that is dead last in forcing turnovers.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Couldn't stand the guy until this year, but I have to admit he's made a big believer out of me.

The guy is a legitimate jumpshooter with size. That's a great fit for the triangle if utilized properly.

He may never have the athleticism to make him a great starting player, but 20-25 minutes a game I'm convinced he's a net asset.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Ronny Turiaf did a pretty good job for a game early in his career. It was good to see some rebounding and shot blocking. If he can get his shot working, he should earn some minutes too. Cook will have to work hard to keep his minutes. Hopefully, it will make him work to become a better player.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Although I prefer our big men playing inside the paint, posting up & providing intimidation & shot blocking on defense, Cook does give us a unique asset- a big man with a relatively high % on his j and a quick release to boot. He also comes into the season with something new be it a better arc on his shot or buffing up.

Cook's a fine role player, not a starter due to his lack of athleticism. He should put on a mean streak, i don't know how he would do it.
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:

RJBaca wrote:
Purplereign34 wrote:
dont like his nickname

Puppycrap?

Cook--- is benefiting from PT. He & Sasha is are 1-2 most improved player from last year's team (George 3rd).
I agree he is a very good Rotation Player; But I dont consider him a solid starter...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: