A Night of Firsts for Ronny Turiaf
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ronny has the legs

Freakout wrote:
melakerfan wrote:
Keep in mind people...

Ronny has not played but a total of 3 or 4 games...Kwame, Mihm, and others dont have the legs that he has at this time of the season. Of course he has alot of energy...But lets not think that he has that much more upside than anyone else on the team.

Now I do think that since he has some time to sit back and watch Kwame and Mihm for a while, I think he may decide to just be a guy who goes out the and pick all the scraps he can get. And we need that kind of guy on this team. He is gonna be good, but he will not be better than Kwame and Mihm.

Actually it would be the opposite. Turiaf doesn't have his game legs yet. His lift still isn't there.

Looked like he had plenty of lift on those blocks

Realistically, they can't give Ronny starting minutes at this point. He's clearly capable of getting 15 though. If the effort remains consistent and he shows he's able to play under control, Phil is going to play him out of necessity, rookie or not.
FerrisVille
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

I really wanted Kwame to be something good, I feel for the kid, he has the perfect protypical body for his position, but he can't play the game because he has bad grip/hand-eye coordination, he is soft inside, plays he should be throwing down he rushes and throws them off the backboard, because he has weak hands.

These things can be improved, Ive played in many levels of bball, (not nba) but the basics are the basics, grip is as basic as it gets. I have had many coaches talk about this and all of them say the same things about players that they coached including myself, so it can't be all mumbo jumbo. A lot of players have this problem, pretty much the majority does in some fashion, how do they improve? they set up in an extra move or pump fake. Bynum has this problem right now, because he shows the ball way too early, which results in a blocked shot or a missed chippy as Shaq use to say.

Speaking of Shaq, he was great at the dunk in the lane.. why? well besides having huge hands, he knew that a pump facje or a head fake mixed with power going strong for the dunk would result in either 2 things, 1. 2 points off the dunk or a trip to the foul line.

Kwame must do this, he doesnt have the hands Shaq does, but he has the power, but he needs the hand strength because when goes go up strong a guard or a good post defender will just slap it out of his hands.

Kobe doesnt have small hands, but he doesnt have huge hands either, but the thing that helps Kobe be successful with his hands is the strength he has added to them.

How has Kwame gone this far into his career without anybody help correct him with this? Ok lets just say Kwame doesnt improve any aspect of his game except for his grip, that alone will make him a consistent 10-12 pts per game player, just of his natural abilities.
If Kwane can work on his hand eye coordination and hand strength which are very attainable, the sky is the limit, because that will do wonders for his mental issues because he will be confident, and his teammates will give him the ball more.

Kwame isn't a finesse player but he try's to play like one, which gets him into trouble, he should focus on his power game then enolve to a 12 foot shooter, instead of trying to do all of the evolving at one time.

Sorrry to hijack Ronny's thread but I didnt want to just start another thread about Kwame.

so to get back on topic-- hooray for ronny!
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ronny has the legs

Ozendorph wrote:
Freakout wrote:
melakerfan wrote:
Keep in mind people...

Ronny has not played but a total of 3 or 4 games...Kwame, Mihm, and others dont have the legs that he has at this time of the season. Of course he has alot of energy...But lets not think that he has that much more upside than anyone else on the team.

Now I do think that since he has some time to sit back and watch Kwame and Mihm for a while, I think he may decide to just be a guy who goes out the and pick all the scraps he can get. And we need that kind of guy on this team. He is gonna be good, but he will not be better than Kwame and Mihm.

Actually it would be the opposite. Turiaf doesn't have his game legs yet. His lift still isn't there.

Looked like he had plenty of lift on those blocks

Realistically, they can't give Ronny starting minutes at this point. He's clearly capable of getting 15 though. If the effort remains consistent and he shows he's able to play under control, Phil is going to play him out of necessity, rookie or not.

Well it's different reading the play and reacting than say when he's missed a few dunk putbacks he's attempted. Those blocks were clutch plays but he took a few steps before he jumped. On rebounds you can still see he's legs aren't where they need to be.

Honestly I just really look forward to next season. We should have a improved team with a few new players and I expect both Ronny and Andrew to be much more physically matured next year.
TRU_KOBE_FANS
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ronny has the legs

melakerfan wrote:
Keep in mind people...

He will not be better than Kwame??? Are you serious?? Kwame doesn't deserve to be in the NBA, let alone be considered a good player. I do have more respect for Chris Mihm, but I wouldn't sell Ronny short. With the coaching staff, KOBE and his will to be better, I think we're gonna see great things from Ronny in the future!
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

novano2004 wrote:
I think it is the only thing that i can thank Mitch for, is signing this guy. he has alot to show very soon. I still dont know why phil does not try to insert Bynum?

Bynum + Odom is probably part of a deal for a superstar this summer, No Bynum=no deal. Bynum has played really good when he was out there- enough of a mystery for someone to take a chance on losing a disgruntled superstar they will lose anyway. Lakers don't want to ruin that mystique by playing him. People will take the chance that Bynum is the next Shaq, Duncan, even a bigger and healthy young Alonzo etc untill he shows that he is not the next them- hench the lakers aren't playing him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

Could be, or it could be the fact that Bynum being lost on defense is a reason they aren't playing him.
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Seemed like Ronny really sparked the team to life with his energy and hussle. Its a shame that we still have players out there that look like they would rather be somewhere else.
I really happy for Ronny, he seems like a great kid who is just happy to be breathing let alone playing for the Lakers. I hope his attitude will rub off on the corpses we have on the team, but should it really have to come to that?
Another great thing about Ronny is that it seems he is pretty up to speed with the offence according to Phil and Kobe. Kobe apparently said to him that he knows as much as some of the guys that have been on the team for six months.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject:

It's clear why the Lakers drafted Ronny Turiaf. He's a player who will give you 100%. He has passion for the game. I hope he's infectious with the rest of the team.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ronny has the legs

TRU_KOBE_FANS wrote:
melakerfan wrote:
Keep in mind people...

He will not be better than Kwame??? Are you serious?? Kwame doesn't deserve to be in the NBA, let alone be considered a good player. I do have more respect for Chris Mihm, but I wouldn't sell Ronny short. With the coaching staff, KOBE and his will to be better, I think we're gonna see great things from Ronny in the future!

I've heard alot of that Ronny isn't athletic and I think that's just BS. The man had open heart surgery and is not in shape yet, still he he can grap what 5 boards in 15 min? so what he's going to avg 10 boards in 30 min out of shape?

Ronny SHOULD start next season and avg 8 pt and 9.0 boards and 1.5 blocks a game.....forget boozer, forget kwame, forget cook, we got our PF, he's the real deal, seen him in college seen in at the SPL, now seen him at STAPLES...

PLAY HIM PHIL!!!!

Bynum 15pt 8rb
Turiaf 8pt 9rb
Odom 15pt 8rb 5ast
Bryant 35pt 5ast
Parker 13pt 5ast

THE FUTURE IS COMING!
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Ronny is exactly the type of player we should draft or trade for. I want someone who plays with emotion. It was like a stoners' convention last night before Turiaf entered the game. Good job, Mitch.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:

He's really in the games even when he's not playing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: