thoughts on grant hill as initiator?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: thoughts on grant hill as initiator?

was very impressed by his ball handling and ability to see the floor...looks like a good tri-initiator...not sure about his contract though i heard there is an outside chance the magic buy him out at season's end...thoughts?
Coca James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

I would LOVE to get Grant Hill on this team... the only problem is if Odom and Hill passed to each other, who would shoot?

"I have to be assertive, and if the ball doesn't go in, it gives us a good rebounding opportunity." - Kobe
Philostrator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

Grant Hill is definitely a star player on Orlando and definitely a threat to any team, but unfortunately he get's injured a lot which slows his career down.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject:

Yes
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject:

For sure, but again, it gets back to point guard defense. If you mean inserting Hill into this current lineup at the 1, who defends opposing PGs?
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject:

No probs here.

Excellent character guy, which is great for a young team such as ours.

His contract comes off the books in another year - so it doesn't involve
any risk compromising our longer-term goals.

Unless it's at the expense of another big move that would be a part of our
big picture (neglecting a big trade because Hill's contract ate too much
space for that one year) then I'm all about it.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject:

WOULD LOVE IT!!!
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject:

because of his injuries, did not expect him to still be able to move the way he did during the game...not too bad mid range jumper as well...plus, has greeat poise on the floor and seems to have a really good feel for the game...very unselfish as well...
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject:

Coca James wrote:
I would LOVE to get Grant Hill on this team... the only problem is if Odom and Hill passed to each other, who would shoot?

Don't worry, Odom will be traded this summer. We then sign Hill to be the point forward.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
For sure, but again, it gets back to point guard defense. If you mean inserting Hill into this current lineup at the 1, who defends opposing PGs?

You use Hill to beat the opposing PGs up on the other end and let him use length and team D to converge on penetration the way the Bulls used to do for Harper at the 1.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
kobeodom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:

yes he can be a good initiator.

no, hes not coming here.

not unless mitch gets fired.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:

i'd imagine we really wouldn't need both odom and hill...at least gives the lakers of shipping off odom without having to compromise having an initiator on the team...don't think it would cost odom to get him if he somehow becomes available...
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
RYZ wrote:

You use Hill to beat the opposing PGs up on the other end and let him use length and team D to converge on penetration the way the Bulls used to do for Harper at the 1.

Yikes. The Bulls teammates converging on penetration were Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman - three of the greatest defenders of the all time . It's extraordinarily difficult to play good team defense without at least two very good individual defenders, unless you fully commit to zone and junk defenses, which doesn't figure to happen with the Lakers anytime soon.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
RYZ wrote:

Yikes. The Bulls teammates converging on penetration were Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman - three of the greatest defenders of the all time . It's extraordinarily difficult to play good team defense without at least two very good individual defenders, unless you fully commit to zone and junk defenses, which doesn't figure to happen with the Lakers anytime soon.

Kobe and DG in with G-Hill using him sparingly would suffice.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject:

Grant Hill, for the right money, would be a superb 6th man initiator off the bench. Having to rely on him, though, at his current age and with his injury history, especially if the Lakers overpay him...wouldn't be prudent. Then again, we are talking about Mitch Kupchak and the Lakers here, a laughable organization since Jerry West left.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject:

You have a lot more faith in the Lakers as help defenders than I do. I haven't seen a Kobe and DG tandem adequately disguise the shortcomings of Smush, Sasha, Chucky, Tierre, Fisher, Payton, et. al. The Lakers badly, badly need a PG who can keep his opponent in front of him; they've needed one for 5 years. In any event, I don't suspect George will even return next year.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:

that's why getting hill might be a good idea...allows the lakers to get a blanket point (banks/james) even if they probably won't have the aptitude to function as initiator...also frees up the lakers to try to trade odom for help in the post...
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject:

Having Grant Hill and Ronny Turiaf on the team would be wonders for our team's confidence. It might actually give Kwame Brown some confidence to actually come back from his injuries
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject:

I doubt Hill would ever come to the Lakers. He'll go to an immediate championship contender, if waived. It would make my day to see the Lakers get Hill, especially if he comes on the cheap. But, I'll lay off the pipe, because I just don't see it happening.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: