Kwame Brown's best hope
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Has Kwame ever attened Pete Newell's Big Man Camp? Can he be sent there to learn some basics and fundamentals? Does Phil Jackson and his staff have what it takes to teach fundamentals, or are they best suited for advanced players, veterans who have been at this for a while?

Kwame has not attended Newells camp before, but I'd be pretty certain that Cook, Bynum and Ronnie will be dragging him along with them this summer. Cook and Bynum attended last summer....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
I sincerely doubt that this is an issue that Kareem can address.

I say that because I believe that Kwame's problem is one of effort. He simply doesn't want to jump. How many times have you seen him play pretty good post defense only to allow the offensive player to jump over him and score while he's cemented to the ground?

I doubt that "foul avoidance" is the issue because Kwame plays physical up to that point without the whistle blowing. He just doesn't want to take that last step of jumping. You can see the same scenario play out on offense when he works just hard enough to get good position near the basket only to try to lay the ball up instead of going up strong

Well there's no rule that says you can't have finesse and power. I mean it's easier to play with a power game if you actually have it, but it seems that Kwame doesn't have that mentality.

However the move I'm talking about is the same one that he has been rejected on all season. He gets down real low (That's the first mistake right there, you should be keeping the ball up high in the post) then bumps his man (Ussually one bump won't send the guy crashing back anyway) and follows that up with an attempt. While he's bringing the ball back up, he shows it completely and that often leads to rejections.

Reminds of that Burt Reynolds movie "Smokey & the Bandit."

When the Sheriff asks his son how come he doesn't have any bullets in his gun, the son replies:

[B]But daddy, the gun gets too heavy with the bullets in it.[/I]

Perhaps the ball is too heavy for Kwame to keep high?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

I hope the Lakers keep talking up Kwame and keep working with him to help him improve...so they can move him easier. I don't think there's much upside to be had. Sure, there's physical upside, but Kwame's just not into it...he's just not putting in the work to improve. Forget Kwame's best hope, the Lakers' best hope is to move Kwame.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Panthas wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Is he not being trained by KAJ or something?

Diffrent type of post player, KAJ is a finesse post player, Kwame is not built for finesse but rather power.

Problem is that I don't think Kwame is comfortable in his own body. He has not really learned what it can do, what he can do with it, and how to control it. This level of insecurity shows up in his game, which is evident.

Then he goes and does that monster alley-oop a couple games back and refutes my comment.

Maybe he just thinks too much when he has the basketball, or maybe not enough. Seriously, I am at a loss right now. But I am still willing to be patient with Kwame and see what he can do if and when he gets it all together.

If we were going to pick the ideal tutor for the guy, somebody who can make it fun and show him how to use that body to his advantage, I'd get Darryl Dawkins. That guy cracks me up and was just fun to watch, he would try do dunk anything he could and did a pretty good job at it.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
I hope the Lakers keep talking up Kwame and keep working with him to help him improve...so they can move him easier. I don't think there's much upside to be had. Sure, there's physical upside, but Kwame's just not into it...he's just not putting in the work to improve. Forget Kwame's best hope, the Lakers' best hope is to move Kwame.

Gloria Barkleying once again....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
SirRunnethOfSoCal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

Kwame's best hope is a brain transplant. Maybe a heart one as well.
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

vkewalra wrote:
encina1 wrote:
Panthas wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Is he not being trained by KAJ or something?

Diffrent type of post player, KAJ is a finesse post player, Kwame is not built for finesse but rather power.

Problem is that I don't think Kwame is comfortable in his own body. He has not really learned what it can do, what he can do with it, and how to control it. This level of insecurity shows up in his game, which is evident.

Then he goes and does that monster alley-oop a couple games back and refutes my comment.

Maybe he just thinks too much when he has the basketball, or maybe not enough. Seriously, I am at a loss right now. But I am still willing to be patient with Kwame and see what he can do if and when he gets it all together.

If we were going to pick the ideal tutor for the guy, somebody who can make it fun and show him how to use that body to his advantage, I'd get Darryl Dawkins. That guy cracks me up and was just fun to watch, he would try do dunk anything he could and did a pretty good job at it.

Bring In Kemp!!!lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: