Bill Simmons at it again

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiline
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Bill Simmons at it again

Here's a quote from Bill "Jackass" Simmons on his latest article about Team USA:

Quote:
I'd rather have Shaq and Pierce than Stoudemire and Kobe.

I just can't stand this guy. With every article he writes, he shows what a Celtic-homer and Kobe-hater he is. Then again, what else can you expect from a guy who thinks Larry Bird was the greatest player ever.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:

That's a respectable enough argument though. If we're talking about Shaq in his prime though. Pierce is really good, and Shaq in his prime was just an unstoppable force. Amare is really good, but I'd take an in-shape healthy Shaq over him.

Of course, I'd take Shaq and Kobe over those two combos
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Shaq over Amare maybe.

Pierce over Kobe? :roll: :roll: :roll:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Toughest omissions:

1. Kobe: Too much baggage, too much of a walking soap opera, spent too much time in a situation where he was the only viable scoring option. Even in something as dumb as the All-Star Game last month, you could see his rust in terms of playing team basketball; these last two Shaq-less seasons have been more damaging to him than anyone wants to admit. Plus, if he's on the team, you have to play him. And I don't think you need him -- not when you have Wade, Redd, LeBron and Pierce.

And then there's this: I don't care what transpired recently -- there's no way Shaq plays on this team if Kobe gets picked. I think he makes one of those behind-closed-doors, him-or-me threats like MJ did before the '92 Olympics (when he told them that he wouldn't play if Isiah was on the team). Personally, I'd rather have Shaq and Pierce than Stoudemire and Kobe. But given that this is USA Basketball, I'm sure we'll end up with the latter two guys. Fantastic
hiline
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
That's a respectable enough argument though. If we're talking about Shaq in his prime though. Pierce is really good, and Shaq in his prime was just an unstoppable force. Amare is really good, but I'd take an in-shape healthy Shaq over him.

But he's not talking about Shaq in his prime... There is no way you pick Amare over Shaq right now
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

hiline wrote:
Socks wrote:

But he's not talking about Shaq in his prime... There is no way you pick Amare over Shaq right now

Then yeah, I take Amare/Kobe in a heartbeat. Keeping my fingers crossed that Amare comes back strong from microfracture.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Shaq over Amare maybe.

Only if it's an injured Amare and a healthy Shaq. Even a healthy Shaq has maybe 2-3 years left in him. Assuming Amare recovers like Kidd has he'll have a long career ahead of him.
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Bill Simmons wrote:

Toughest omissions:

1. Kobe: Too much baggage, too much of a walking soap opera, spent too much time in a situation where he was the only viable scoring option. Even in something as dumb as the All-Star Game last month, you could see his rust in terms of playing team basketball; these last two Shaq-less seasons have been more damaging to him than anyone wants to admit. Plus, if he's on the team, you have to play him. And I don't think you need him -- not when you have Wade, Redd, LeBron and Pierce.

And then there's this: I don't care what transpired recently -- there's no way Shaq plays on this team if Kobe gets picked. I think he makes one of those behind-closed-doors, him-or-me threats like MJ did before the '92 Olympics (when he told them that he wouldn't play if Isiah was on the team). Personally, I'd rather have Shaq and Pierce than Stoudemire and Kobe. But given that this is USA Basketball, I'm sure we'll end up with the latter two guys. Fantastic.

He doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. He's carrying the team on his shoulders this year, and he's finally learning how to be The Man on a team.

I do agree that the team wouldn't need Kobe to win it all if they trot out that squad, but you could say the same about LeBron, Wade, and even Pierce when you have those kinds of teammates.

Simmons is a hater pretending he's looking at things objectively. He'll out himself soon enough just like Lang Whitaker did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Anybody have a link to this whole piece?
hiline
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Anybody have a link to this whole piece?

LINK
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Shaq over Amare shows a lack of critical thinking. Even an injured Amare is better than the current version of Shaq.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Oh so this edition of worthless crap written by a Celtics loving moron was about the Olympic team. There's proof Pierce shouldn't be on the team: he was on the World Championship team in 2002, none of those useless losers should be included.

Simmons is a moron, most of that piece makes no sense if you know basketball. He seems to be absolutely in love with Reddick, somebody who's never played a second of NBA ball and from all accounts is horribly one-dimensional. He apparently is convinced that he can go back in time and get Shaq from 6 years ago.

Quote:
Pierce gives you another shooter/rebounder/runner who can play three positions and wouldn't care about playing time; I think he's the best all-around player in the league right now. If you don't believe me, watch a Celtics game

That says it all.
Laker4andmore
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:

vkewalra wrote:
Oh so this edition of worthless crap written by a Celtics loving moron was about the Olympic team. There's proof Pierce shouldn't be on the team: he was on the World Championship team in 2002, none of those useless losers should be included.

Exactly.

Not only was he on that team but the rumblings from many players on that team was that the reason they lost was because of Pierce and him being a ball hog.

Funny how Simmons "forgot" to mention that.

And weren't Wade and Lebron part of the team that failed to medal? I know they are different players now but I can only imagine what he'd be saying about Kobe had that'd been the case with im.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

I've read enough of this guy's Kobe hating. I had to write him this time.

Anyone else that's fed up with it should feel encouraged to use the feedback form.
Achilles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject:

The guy is a total jackass and he's really starting to embarass himself lately. I even have pro-Simmons friends who are starting to wonder about him. Taking Pierce over Kobe destroys your credibility. And using the All Star game to underscore the tedious point about Kobe not being a team player??? Is he for real? That may be the weakest argument against Kobe I've heard yet. It's amazing what lenghts these guys will go to.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:

SOMEONE PLEASE post his email address. I have been looking for it for a while now.
rpadma12
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Achilles wrote:
And using the All Star game to underscore the tedious point about Kobe not being a team player???

Especially when Kobe did play a team game and led the team in assists.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject:

After hearing Simmons' high-ptched lisp on Matt Money Smith's radio show the other day, let's just say he is probably more than a bit familiar personally with some of the hijinks in Brokeback Mountain.

Would you really care if the Queer Eye guys were bashing Kobe?

I think you know what I am saying.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
After hearing Simmons' high-ptched lisp on Matt Money Smith's radio show the other day, let's just say he is probably more than a bit familiar personally with some of the hijinks in Brokeback Mountain.

If it were over his fashion sense I'd have to agree with them
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Seriously, there's so many things you could say about Simmons and this is where you go? Geez. Take this for instance...

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather have Shaq and Pierce than Stoudemire and Kobe. But given that this is USA Basketball, I'm sure we'll end up with the latter two guys.

You'd rather have a 31-year-old Pierce and a 36-year-old Shaq than 26-year-old Amare and 29-year-old Kobe? It's funny how his homerism shines through even in this. Let's break it down.
I'm a Celtics fan, therefore I love Paul Pierce.
Shaq named Pierce "The Truth" therefore, I love Shaq.
Kobe and Shaq don't like each other, but I love Shaq, plus Kobe is a Laker therefore I hate Kobe.
Amare Stoudemire knocked several of Pierce's teeth out and I love Pierce, therefore I hate Amare.

I still like Simmons and every time one of his articles gets posted here (usually because he takes another jab at Kobe) I always say the same thing: Don't take anything he says about the Lakers or Celtics seriously. He doesn't have the ability to have an objective opinion about those two things. This argument involves Pierce and Kobe, so it's automatically disregarded in my mind. He's totally blinded by his loyalty to Celtics and hatred of the Purple and Gold.
Achilles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Seriously, there's so many things you could say about Simmons and this is where you go? Geez. Take this for instance...

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather have Shaq and Pierce than Stoudemire and Kobe. But given that this is USA Basketball, I'm sure we'll end up with the latter two guys.

You'd rather have a 31-year-old Pierce and a 36-year-old Shaq than 26-year-old Amare and 29-year-old Kobe? It's funny how his homerism shines through even in this. Let's break it down.
I'm a Celtics fan, therefore I love Paul Pierce.
Shaq named Pierce "The Truth" therefore, I love Shaq.
Kobe and Shaq don't like each other, but I love Shaq, plus Kobe is a Laker therefore I hate Kobe.
Amare Stoudemire knocked several of Pierce's teeth out and I love Pierce, therefore I hate Amare.

I still like Simmons and every time one of his articles gets posted here (usually because he takes another jab at Kobe) I always say the same thing: Don't take anything he says about the Lakers or Celtics seriously. He doesn't have the ability to have an objective opinion about those two things. This argument involves Pierce and Kobe, so it's automatically disregarded in my mind. He's totally blinded by his loyalty to Celtics and hatred of the Purple and Gold.

Fair enough but lately Simmons isn't even funny. Plus, stuff like this - especially anything involving Kobe - isn't even an attempt to be funny. If there was even an ounce of wit present when he's bashing Kobe I'd give him credit, but he betrays his true feelings about number 8 and the Lakers with ridiculous crap like this. I get the whole Boston thing, I really do, but underneath it all Simmons' raw hatred of everything Kobe/Lakers is becoming increasingly obvious.

When he writes about baseball he's kind of entertaining. But when he writes about basketball he's clueless. He obviously cannont accept the fact that the Celtics suck and Kobe is clearly the best player in the game.

But what REALLY bothers me - and forgive me for ranting again about this - is that Simmons lives in L.A. and makes a very healthy living off of the L.A. media market. Can you imagine a rabid Laker fan living in Boston and making good money trashing the Celtics and Paul Pierce on a regular basis, while simultaneously raving about Kobe and the Lakers? I'm pretty sure that wouldn't last long...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: