It takes time after a team losses a Superstar...be patient folks

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Point a Minute
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: It takes time after a team losses a Superstar...be patient folks

This is what happened after the lakers lost Magic in 91-92. We still had Worthy, Scott, AC, & Jack Haley, had to throw in Haley..it's funny to me ....

But it seems this current team will be similar to the 91-95 squads, although I hope it takes less years to get back..

91-92 Season Record: 43-39 (.524)
Playoff Record: Lost 1st Round

92-93 Season Record: 39-43 (.476)

93-94 Season Record: 33-49 (.409)
Playoff Record: - Missed

94-95 Season Record: 48-34 (.585)
Playoff Record: Lost Semi-Finals

95-96 Season Record: 53-29 (.646)

96-97 Season Record: 56.26 (.683)---- Shaq,Kobe, Fisher, & Horry Added

97-98 Season Record: 61-21 (.744)---- Fox Added
Playoff Record: Lost Conference Finals

98-99 Season Record: 31-19 (.620)

99-00 Season Record: 67-15 (.817)---- Harper & Shaw Added
Playoff Record: NBA Champs
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakers on track to hit it big in that 4th year??? Hopefully anyway.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
kobeodom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

did they start to win only when phil came?
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:

kobeodom wrote:
did they start to win only when phil came?

Yeah
froesel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

We didn't loose Kobe, so we didn't lose a super star.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Wow, I never realy realized that the addition of Shaq only accounted for three more wins that first year. I thought he had a much bigger impact than that. Interesting....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:

^Blame that on the Del Harris dulled offense and Shaq's lack of commitment defensively.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:

We didn't lose a superstar. We had great trading value in shaq. They said they were trading shaq for some younger talents so we can avoid the rebuilding process and won't be like the bulls. But then they got screwed in the trade and here we are, rebuilding and being asked to be patient. LOL.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^Blame that on the Del Harris dulled offense and Shaq's lack of commitment defensively.

Don't forget his lack of energy and focus on his game while he was working on Steel!
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Wow, last years team was better than 93-94.

If only 39-43 would get you in the P.O. this year. (like 92-93)
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

kobester wrote:
We didn't lose a superstar. We had great trading value in shaq. They said they were trading shaq for some younger talents so we can avoid the rebuilding process and won't be like the bulls. But then they got screwed in the trade and here we are, rebuilding and being asked to be patient. LOL.

Accurate post - glad to see some of you remember.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Right now we would prolly be like the 94-95 team (last year's team missed the playoffs and had the 10th pick, just like that) So we supposed to hit semi-finals this year
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I'd also add that Kobe didn't play much that 1st season - plus, Divac was still pretty good back then, so the prior year's team wasn't that bad (as evidenced by the 53 wins).
showtime1308
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Well we are rebuilding because of bad decision-making. We rushed the Shaq trade. There was speculation That Riles told Buss he wanted to coach the Lakers because he thought he could make Shaq and Kobe get along. Once Buss told him his mind was madeup on trading him Riles said shoot i'll take him. I sometimes think he was traded there because of the relationship Buss has with Riley. There's a comfort level there. We traded Shaq far too soon and for a weak package. Gm's were saying 2 all stars and a role player is fair value and we got 0 all stars, 2 role players and the worst contract in the league at the time. We traded away a solid role player for a bust and now have only 1 role player to show for trading Shaq.

The problem is clearly management. Having said that I believe they will improve this team significantly in the offseason so that we can once again be in contention.
Point a Minute
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Back then we needed to add some vets with the young talent to show them how to play. I'm not saying we'll make it to the semi-finals this year, but we have a chance to add some experience to this team. Show AB, RT, SP, & KB how to be professionals on the court.

Mitch there are some guys out there on the street corner(as Hacksaw Hamilton would say....kinda miss the idiot )....go pick them up...
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers lost Magic for nothing. Zero. Shaq at least netted players. And no, the Lakers still have Kobe, something those early 90's Laker teams didn't. And guess what, those early 90's Laker teams were all better, save for one season. That is pathetic, there's no way around it. We should just face the fact that Kupchak is a horrible GM, and that it'll take a lot of luck in future trades/transactions and Bynum developing into a stud for the Lakers to ever win a championship again in the Kobe era.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:

showtime1308 wrote:
Well we are rebuilding because of bad decision-making. We rushed the Shaq trade. There was speculation That Riles told Buss he wanted to coach the Lakers because he thought he could make Shaq and Kobe get along. Once Buss told him his mind was madeup on trading him Riles said shoot i'll take him. I sometimes think he was traded there because of the relationship Buss has with Riley. There's a comfort level there. We traded Shaq far too soon and for a weak package. Gm's were saying 2 all stars and a role player is fair value and we got 0 all stars, 2 role players and the worst contract in the league at the time. We traded away a solid role player for a bust and now have only 1 role player to show for trading Shaq.

The problem is clearly management. Having said that I believe they will improve this team significantly in the offseason so that we can once again be in contention.

You have more faith than I do. With Phoenix in the division (along with Dallas and SA in the conference) the only thing we're contending for is a playoff spot numbered 6 through 8 OR a lottery spot numbered 1 to 14.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Back then the Lakers drafted well and built up the team from within through the draft.

Vlade Divac
Elden Campbell
Nick Van Exel
Anthony Peeler
Eddie Jones
Kobe Bryant

Then through Free agency:
Rick Fox
Shaquille O'Neal

That's the difference between that team, and this team. Back then, the Lakers were working with a lot of rookie contracts that had All-Star talent on it. The free agents took the team over the hump playoff-wise.

Now, all of those picks were 1st round into 2nd round picks, so imagine that drafted team compared to:

Luke Walton
Brian Cook
Sasha Vujacic
Andrew Bynum
Ronny Turiaf

Huge discrepancy talent-wise. Roughly same span of time as well. 1990-1996; 2000-2005.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Back then the Lakers drafted well and built up the team from within through the draft.

Vlade Divac
Elden Campbell
Nick Van Exel
Anthony Peeler
Eddie Jones
Kobe Bryant

Rick Fox
Shaquille O'Neal

That's the difference between that team, and this team. Back then, the Lakers were working with a lot of rookie contracts that had All-Star talent on it. The free agents took the team over the hump playoff-wise.

Now, all of those picks were 1st round into 2nd round picks, so imagine that drafted team compared to:

Luke Walton
Brian Cook
Sasha Vujacic
Andrew Bynum
Ronny Turiaf

Huge discrepancy talent-wise. Roughly same span of time as well. 1990-1996; 2000-2005.

That post makes me sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Vlade Divac
Elden Campbell
Nick Van Exel
Anthony Peeler
Eddie Jones
Kobe Bryant

Rick Fox
Shaquille O'Neal

Luke Walton
Brian Cook
Sasha Vujacic
Andrew Bynum
Ronny Turiaf

I agree. Some fans have no grasp of reality and the huge difference between this team and the one from the 90s. First, our GM was different. Second, Buss was alot younger. This time, Buss is prepared to give this team to his son who hasn't shown me a thing.

Just because it took us four years to compete in the 90s, does not automatically mean that it will happen again two years from now.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

u know what, as much as i can blame that on Del's 3-2 offense. thats the formation that the lakers stood in. cambell and shaq on both blocks. the rest of the lakes, standing beyonb the 3 line. Del told them to cut. They refused to listen. similar to last years lakers, and this years lakers. its something about being a laker and cutting after that 80's era. dont ask me what it is though. if it wasn't a 3 ball or a dunk from shaq. we didn't score in those days before we traded nick, eddie and campbell. what phil did is bring in some of his guys and run the triangle, where you almost have to keep moving a little bit. add that to the fact that the lakers got tired of losing to lesser UTAH talent YEAR end and YEAR out.

this laker team is about as good as a few other so so teams. thats just the truth at this moment. next year our growth progress may surpass other teams growth progress. thats the good thing when you have a ton of UPSIDE guys on your team. or else we could stay stagnant. if so, we will trade people, everyone except for kobe. I promise you that.

notice how sedale threat never won a ring with the lakers, neither did peeler. thats what happens when so so guys are not good enough to after a 2 years or so of tryouts. this aint nothing but tryouts. i told you guys that at the start of the season. its still frustrating. but its 82 games worth of pre-season. with this summer. Thats why phil has yet to pull his grey hair out.

and i dont know many times i have to keep posting this. but all the free agents that we could've picked up this year. aren't really doing anything extraordinary. have you noticed that? I have. even some guys i wanted to pickup. that tells you at least, that these guys are not showing enough effort to get the green light or enough time to produce. let me throw out some names.

watson
Antonio Daniels
Derek Anderson
Lorenzen Wright
Stromile Swift
spreewell-still in the streets(must not be worth what he's asking)
who else am I missing that aint doing much at all that the lakers could've scooped up in the offseason?

okay lets move on. to lets say we should've kept our boy butler. okay great. remember he supposedly couldn't play WITH kobe in the game. but even he aint averaging 20+ per. another thing, as weak as kwame's offense is. he's been their defensively against the best in the business. imagine how thin our bigs would've been minus Kbrown. let mihm get hurt. then we have 1 rookie and cook as our BIgs? come on folks. we just got Turiaf back so he doesn't count.

okay lets keep moving.... We should've traded L.O. He's horrible, he's inconsistent. lets trade him for my good friend Rashard Lewis(their already losing like crazy, they need more scorers why pickup a guy you cant count on to score 20+ per game? YOu dont, so that deals aint happening), or package LO/Devean and someone else for KG(KG hasn't yet asked to be traded to the lakers, or did i miss something). Would you if you were Kevin Mchale(a true laker hater) give KG to the lakers for an Inconsistent wanna be star a good role player and trash? H.... NO

SO what did mitch do? Picked up Turiaf. who had a heart problem. who knew that. so thats the deal. deal with it. see you next season.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Not like we have a superstar or anything.

But what do I know.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: