What I saw in person tonight..

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: What I saw in person tonight..

Let me start by saying that nothing is greater (W's) or as frustrating (L's) as being a Laker fan in a rivals arena, insane. We all witnessed a very flat and uninspired Laker team tonight, and it was the same in person-but what you probably didn't see was the anger Phil and the coaching staff had with the players. I've been to many Lakers games and I have to say the coaching staff (Phil in particular) tried to get the players to understand the importance and need to have this game, unfortunatley it was too little too late by the time they woke up. He went to Ronny T. early in second half for energy, but the refs took him right out the game. **One point on Ronny's defense, it looks so much more aggresive and active than his teammates that I think the refs assume he's fouling, maybe I'm wrong.** The most frustrating part of the game was the inability to finish at the hoop and that was all players tonight including Kobe, everything was falling out.

I feel bad for Kobe because of his catch 22 situation. If he comes out aggresive sometimes his teammates fall asleep, but if he gets them involved early and there not on, they still go to (bleep). Also when he gets them involved early, and if his shot is off we are then in real trouble-very frustrating.

My last concern/opinion is "I love Kobe, BUT" his lateral movement on D, and sometimes on offense is poor (hate saying it). His knees are older than he is and he can't stay on his man (Blake tonight), but his willingness to take on anybody even point guards is starting to hurt the team. He will have to reach a point and move to slower, less speedy players, and he has nothing to be ashamed of, but it's the truth. The Lakers have to pursue defensive minded perimeters players in the summer so Kobe doesn't need to take all the toughest opponents.

We still have a ways to go, and next week will be tough- but we will make the playoffs and will be fine in the future.

Go Lakers

BTW- Laker fans turned out in groves tonight, we are an impressive bunch!
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Also, that last play wasn't Smush's fault as much as it was Phil not calling the timeout. That's the second game this year he tried to let them win or tie and fell short, bad move.

Go Lakers
KB8LJ23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Would have been nice to see Artest as one of those perimeter players. Even though he is weird and a headcase. Still a lot better than "Not Caring" Odumb
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject:

I agree, we should have made a more serious play for Artest & Boozer, think of this team with those players. I think this summer will have both those players still available, for a higher price, but available.
they-perch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:
Also, that last play wasn't Smush's fault as much as it was Phil not calling the timeout. That's the second game this year he tried to let them win or tie and fell short, bad move.

Go Lakers

why call a timeout? they werent pressing, the play was already drawn up. if anything we could have gotten a better shot in transition w/o portland being able to adjust to our lineup offensively. if anything not calling a timeout was a good thing. it was smush's fault and his alone. that was just plain stupid.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject:

Kobe's lateral movement is fine. The thing that bugs me about his defense is that he usually does one of three things:

1) Plays free safety leaving his man open for easy J's.

2) Plays overly aggressive defense in cruch time, sometimes leading to stupid fouls.

3) Coasts trying to save himself for crunch time.

Kobe is a great defender - could be the BEST perimeter defender in the game if he applied his talents correctly. Although with the amount of offensive pressure he has on his shoulders that will never happen - and understandibly so. I just want to see more consistency from Kobe with his defensive effort.

But it would certainly help if he had at least one or two good defenders playing next to him (Artest, and a swatting big).

Jake Speed, 1986
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: What I saw in person tonight..

RMurphy_22 wrote:
the anger Phil and the coaching staff had with the players. I've been to many Lakers games and I have to say the coaching staff (Phil in particular) tried to get the players to understand the importance and need to have this game, unfortunatley it was too little too late by the time they woke up.
Glad that you were supporting our team!!! The TV broadcast was showing a little of the anger PJ had of the team. PJ's TOs were a direct indication of his frustration. Seeing how Cookie played defense (excuse me, being a spectator) when he's not playing defense is bewildering, despite his offensive presence. Smush not contesting every shot gives the impression that he is coasting and that he's trying to make it up by making steals.

Regarding Kobe's defense, he has such a heavy load deflecting the many bad efforts of the players with the name Lakers on their jury (not teammates) that it is understandable that he is trying to do to many things at one time for this team to win - the brother is TIRED

How hard can it be to give ENERGY AND EFFORT!?!?!
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:

We need Jim Jackson.

Smush did not recognize Miles in the middle. That is only his fault. He should have moved the ball and he could have got it back.

Although I wouldn't want to depend on him to win a game shooting, Luke was wide open in the corner when Smush got picked.

You are totally correct on the level of intensity that Ronnie has compared to everyone else.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject:

You guys all bring up great points, and the frustration in the team is warranted, but as a young team at the end a game I think a timeout is necessary. (young = mistakes)

Kobe is a great defender, but his legs are slowing down considerably. Notice how he can't quite get by his defender on offensive, hence settling for a jumper (or 3). Also when was the last time he dunked or drove the lane like early last season against the Magic & D.Howard, the explosivness and quick step is leaving. Like Jordan, Kobe will make the adjustment and is so smart that offensivly he will still thrive, but his free throw attempts will decline. No doubt the load of BS on the court and off this guys carries is insane, and will tire anybody out. I just think Kobe shouldn't be responsible for the toughest defensive assignments and carry all the offensive load.

Go Lakers
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject:

Kobe had the flu! Probably had something to do with his average for him performance.
Agar5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject:

I was at the game last night and sat 2 rows behind the Lakers Bench. It was a great opportunity to see the players reactions from up close and sitting next to fellow Laker fans.

Some things I noticed at the game was one play in particular when Juan Dixon missed a shot (fourth quarter?) by good help defense and then got his own rebound and everyone left him alone and then made the basket to put the Blazers back up by 9. This is when the Lakers were making a run to cut their lead. Phil called a timeout and just ripped into his players, especially Smush.

There was also a play when Brian Cook was shooting some free throws in the third quarter, and Sasha looked confused as to what he was doing. Phil was just screaming at him as he came over to talk to him. Devean George came over and tried to take the blame off of Sasha almost trying not to ruin his confidence.

I felt bad for Andrew Bynum because he sat at the end of the bench and didn't see much emotion from him. Him and Devin Green were just carrying a small conversation throughout the game, but it looked like A-bomb knew he wasn't going to see any playing time.

Overall, it was another heartbreak loss to one of the league's worst teams and being at two blazer games to witness these losses have really hurt.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What I saw in person tonight..

RMurphy_22 wrote:
Let me start by saying that nothing is greater (W's) or as frustrating (L's) as being a Laker fan in a rivals arena, insane. We all witnessed a very flat and uninspired Laker team tonight, and it was the same in person-but what you probably didn't see was the anger Phil and the coaching staff had with the players. I've been to many Lakers games and I have to say the coaching staff (Phil in particular) tried to get the players to understand the importance and need to have this game, unfortunatley it was too little too late by the time they woke up. He went to Ronny T. early in second half for energy, but the refs took him right out the game. **One point on Ronny's defense, it looks so much more aggresive and active than his teammates that I think the refs assume he's fouling, maybe I'm wrong.** The most frustrating part of the game was the inability to finish at the hoop and that was all players tonight including Kobe, everything was falling out.

I feel bad for Kobe because of his catch 22 situation. If he comes out aggresive sometimes his teammates fall asleep, but if he gets them involved early and there not on, they still go to (bleep). Also when he gets them involved early, and if his shot is off we are then in real trouble-very frustrating.

My last concern/opinion is "I love Kobe, BUT" his lateral movement on D, and sometimes on offense is poor (hate saying it). His knees are older than he is and he can't stay on his man (Blake tonight), but his willingness to take on anybody even point guards is starting to hurt the team. He will have to reach a point and move to slower, less speedy players, and he has nothing to be ashamed of, but it's the truth. The Lakers have to pursue defensive minded perimeters players in the summer so Kobe doesn't need to take all the toughest opponents.

We still have a ways to go, and next week will be tough- but we will make the playoffs and will be fine in the future.

Go Lakers

Astute observation that makes a ton of sense. Great point!
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

I when I hear these post about Phil chewing on out Smush and Sasha it makes me believe that Phil has a plan. I mean when he first was here there were complaints that he was busy people watching in the stands. Now we actually see him a little animate. I really think it's for a purpose, kind of a building tool for the future. I mean who would you really be right now Slava who I wonder if Phil even knows he's still here from his first go around with the Lakers or Smush where he's constantly on his a$$ about anything he does. My opinion I would rather be Smush just because hey he's concerned with my game. Now does Smuch see it that way or does he see it as coach hates me.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

Agar5 wrote:
I was at the game last night and sat 2 rows behind the Lakers Bench. It was a great opportunity to see the players reactions from up close and sitting next to fellow Laker fans.

Some things I noticed at the game was one play in particular when Juan Dixon missed a shot (fourth quarter?) by good help defense and then got his own rebound and everyone left him alone and then made the basket to put the Blazers back up by 9. This is when the Lakers were making a run to cut their lead. Phil called a timeout and just ripped into his players, especially Smush.

There was also a play when Brian Cook was shooting some free throws in the third quarter, and Sasha looked confused as to what he was doing. Phil was just screaming at him as he came over to talk to him. Devean George came over and tried to take the blame off of Sasha almost trying not to ruin his confidence.

I felt bad for Andrew Bynum because he sat at the end of the bench and didn't see much emotion from him. Him and Devin Green were just carrying a small conversation throughout the game, but it looked like A-bomb knew he wasn't going to see any playing time.

Overall, it was another heartbreak loss to one of the league's worst teams and being at two blazer games to witness these losses have really hurt.

Can you expand upon the players' reaction to when Phil confronts them. Do they interact, or just tune him out.

I say that because, on TV, when Phil has something to say to B. Cook, he usually "chirps" back. Not that he's being insubordinate, but you can tell that he's engaged.

Other players just stare straight ahead with blank expressions on their face.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the compliment RJBACA

There is do doubt that Phil and the Lakers have a plan, and yes losing to the Blazers (espicially in person) & other bad teams sucks-this team all the way to the top have a plan.

I don't agree with some fans that believe the Lakers have no interest in getting better, it takes time and as thin as the talent is now, we are still 500 and in the playoff hunt. I do admit this summer will be pivotal to what the next few years bring us.

Go Lakers

BTW-Dr. Buss cares more about the Lakers than his poker, though some posters think different
Agar5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:

sorry double post

Last edited by Agar5 on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Agar5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
Agar5 wrote:

Can you expand upon the players' reaction to when Phil confronts them. Do they interact, or just tune him out.

I say that because, on TV, when Phil has something to say to B. Cook, he usually "chirps" back. Not that he's being insubordinate, but you can tell that he's engaged.

When Phil chewed out Smush, he tried to explain what he was trying to do. Phil didn't want to hear any of it and then proceeded at chewing out Kwame. I thought it was funny how the camera man tried to get into the Lakers huddle, but Phil pushed him away and said "Get the hell outta here."

Lamar would stare and yell at Smush when they were bringing the ball up and down the court last night. I wasn't sure if Lamar wanted Smush to push the ball or if Lamar wanted to bring it up himself. After Ronny picked up two quick fouls in the 2nd quarter, he just kind of shook his head and inserted Kwame back into the game. He didn't say anything to Turiaf as he walked by him.There was a play when Odom shot an outside shot in the 3rd quarter and it rimmed out, Phil looked at Hamblen and Rambis and started jawing his mouth like he wasn't too happy.

I was pretty shocked to see this much emotion from Phil, because he usually doesn't express himself like that on T.V. Again these are small observations that caught my eye and thought I would share them with you guys. I have been visiting LG for over a year but haven't like I could contribute as much as everyone else here.

I will say that after the game all the players that were going into the tunnel came and hi-5 us that were waiting for them. Alot of Laker fans complimented Phil and he even smiled and acknowledged us. I will try and post some pics once I get them printed out.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: What I saw in person tonight..

RMurphy_22 wrote:

Go Lakers

There's nothing wrong with Kobe's knees. Kobe never was a PG stopper, even though we remember him shutting down AI in the finals years past. Thats not Kobe's job, but bc no one stopped Blake, Kobe had to atleast try. I hate Smush right now...what a choke artist.
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

Agar5 wrote:
And 1 wrote:
Agar5 wrote:

When Phil chewed out Smush, he tried to explain what he was trying to do. Phil didn't want to hear any of it and then proceeded at chewing out Kwame. I thought it was funny how the camera man tried to get into the Lakers huddle, but Phil pushed him away and said "Get the hell outta here."

Lamar would stare and yell at Smush when they were bringing the ball up and down the court last night. I wasn't sure if Lamar wanted Smush to push the ball or if Lamar wanted to bring it up himself. After Ronny picked up two quick fouls in the 2nd quarter, he just kind of shook his head and inserted Kwame back into the game. He didn't say anything to Turiaf as he walked by him.There was a play when Odom shot an outside shot in the 3rd quarter and it rimmed out, Phil looked at Hamblen and Rambis and started jawing his mouth like he wasn't too happy.

I was pretty shocked to see this much emotion from Phil, because he usually doesn't express himself like that on T.V. Again these are small observations that caught my eye and thought I would share them with you guys. I have been visiting LG for over a year but haven't like I could contribute as much as everyone else here.

I will say that after the game all the players that were going into the tunnel came and hi-5 us that were waiting for them. Alot of Laker fans complimented Phil and he even smiled and acknowledged us. I will try and post some pics once I get them printed out.

One person that is glad that Phil is not on him and that's Devan George, he was the old whipping boy for Phil not to mention Kobe the first go around.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:

Tks for sharing all the in-game observations. Can't say that I'm any more positive about this team's playoff chance after reading them.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

lakers2626 wrote:
I when I hear these post about Phil chewing on out Smush and Sasha it makes me believe that Phil has a plan. I mean when he first was here there were complaints that he was busy people watching in the stands. Now we actually see him a little animate. I really think it's for a purpose, kind of a building tool for the future. I mean who would you really be right now Slava who I wonder if Phil even knows he's still here from his first go around with the Lakers or Smush where he's constantly on his a$$ about anything he does. My opinion I would rather be Smush just because hey he's concerned with my game. Now does Smuch see it that way or does he see it as coach hates me.

How about this from memory lane? Do you know who Phil also started out
in this same fashion?

Give up?

Robert Horry...
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
lakers2626 wrote:

How about this from memory lane? Do you know who Phil also started out
in this same fashion?

Give up?

Robert Horry...

Well can only hope for somewhere near that result
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:

lakers2626 wrote:
Agar5 wrote:
And 1 wrote:
Agar5 wrote:

One person that is glad that Phil is not on him and that's Devan George, he was the old whipping boy for Phil not to mention Kobe the first go around.

Because Smush has skills to kill! That boy is just young, and stupid right now! Actually I've had enough of this season and, am looking forward to what these guys with a few additional pickups will look like next year after another intensive summer camp. This year the lumps they recieve. Next year the lumps will be handed out...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: