somebody will kill tom walker

the mole will be revealed

brody won't go through with the suicide

after walker dies, the "main" plan will be revealed
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject:

So finally got to watch the show on my mac yesterday.

Good episode. I was petrified the whole 2nd half thinking they would have his daughter get blown up looking for what her dad was hiding. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Next week looks really good as well. Season finale right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
So finally got to watch the show on my mac yesterday.

Good episode. I was petrified the whole 2nd half thinking they would have his daughter get blown up looking for what her dad was hiding. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Next week looks really good as well. Season finale right?

Yeah. 90 minute episode. Sad that it's the last episode, but the show is just so damn good that I don't mind waiting until it comes back next year.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Claire Danes was sensational. She has been great all season, but she knocked it out in this last one. Like Wilt said, she was so good it was almost uncomfortable to watch.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Great season finale.

When Brody was in that room with the rest of the politicans and they were showing his emotions and what he was about to do - along with his daughter and the Carrie drama - that was some outstanding stuff.

I just felt he wouldn't do it because well he's the main character. And even knowing that, I was into that scene and sequence of events not knowing what would happen.

Really fantastic show. I'm happy that I took time out to watch this series. When is season 2 out? Fall 2012? That is so far away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject:

Man, that was just perfect.

I guess there were no true twists. We've all predicted Walker would be killed by Brody, and Brody wouldn't finish his plan and would instead enter politics long term. But still, the way they implemented these ideas into the finale made it a great 90 minutes.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject:

Sensational season. Best first season of a show in some time. Can't wait for it to return.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject:

Was I the only one wishing Brody would have flipped the switch just to kill that douchebag Vice President? I wonder if that guy is based on Joe Biden.

I agree on Clare Danes' performance. At first, I found her character's intensity and over-emotionalism for a CIA analyst annoying. After seeing how deeply her bi-polarism problem runs, I was blown away by her performance in the last episode.

Props also to Mandy Patankin. That guy's always good. When he called out his goons to arrest Carrie when she was trying to warn him about Brody, I thought you all might be right about him being the mole.

I'm curious to see how they carry this forward in Season 2. With terrorist dramas, there's always the danger element of a large scale attack which keeps it suspenseful. Is a terrorist infiltration into politics going to be as equally suspenseful?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject:

Good Finale,

I wonder how Carrie gets back into the CIA?

She seems to be the only one that can figure anything out...

Season 2 will be interesting, maybe Saul is promoted to be the head guy and he reinstates her?
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Good Finale,

I wonder how Carrie gets back into the CIA?

She seems to be the only one that can figure anything out...

Season 2 will be interesting, maybe Saul is promoted to be the head guy and he reinstates her?

she might go "rogue" like Jack used to do in 24 when he was on the run/kicked off his team for a short period.
keithsky
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject:

DELETED
rockynpolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject:

Just finished watching the entire Homeland episodes. The series reminded me of a mix between Sleeper Cell http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465353/ with a little bit of Rubicon http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1389371/ Great show but some tend to overrate the show. The ending was a bit of a cop out.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject:

Overall, I think it was great. Part of me was slightly disappointed in the finale because there wasn't anything that completely shocked me. If it were a movie, I would've wanted Brody to go through with it, but since it's a TV series, Brody is the main character and should be for as long as it continues to stay around.

Only question I had though was if he recovered the SD card because if he didn't, his video is still somewhere out there.

At first, I thought maybe Abu Nazir really did blow up the school his son was attending, just to maintain control...but then the secret video showing the VP making the executive decision on how to explain the bombing answered that.

All-in-all, I really have been surprised about how many good TV shows there have been this year. There are so many, that I had to pick and choose certain shows to not have on series recordings on my DVR. I'm just glad that the Cable TV shows are on the weekend.

Next up, Shameless and House of Lies! Can't wait for the 2nd season of Shameless and House of Lies looks really good (so does Kristen Bell...hahahaha).

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
gildedgirth
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Great show and great finale. I just watched all of 12 episodes the past couple of days and just watched the finale.

That was one of the more satisfying (and intense) finales I've seen. Thoughout the series, at first I wasn't sure if Claire Danes was overacting her part but clearly she wasn't when you find out later about her condition. The last episode really hit it out of the ballpark. Also, earlier, when seeing Danes' character happy with Brody at the weekend getaway, really emphasied her bipolarism. When she is happy, she is such a different person (obviously) but it makes her depressive states more intense. Never noticed Claire Danes had such intense eyes.

Really liked Mandy Patinkin, too. With his beard, he really has that "gravitas" that is needed in his position, able to be both smart and brutely honest, and at the same time, act as a father figure to Carrie (Clarie Danes). I don't think I've seen Patinkin in a role like this before.

I've always liked Damian Lewis from his "Band of Brothers" days, and it's remarkable how he pulls of that accent despite being British. So many great actors from the UK able to play great American characters (Domenic West as "Sgt. McNulty" and Idris Ebla as "Stinger" Bell on "The Wire", Christian Bale in numerous roles, etc).

rockynpolo wrote:
Just finished watching the entire Homeland episodes. The series reminded me of a mix between Sleeper Cell http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465353/ with a little bit of Rubicon http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1389371/ Great show but some tend to overrate the show. The ending was a bit of a cop out.

I was also reminded of those two shows. I thought "Homeland" was like a more intelligent, less soapy version of "Sleeper Cell" and a better paced "Rubicon". I liked "Rubicon" but the show moved really slowly, episodes were uneven, major plotlines never developed and, like you said, the ending left you hanging, perhaps forever as the show is cancelled.

"Homeland", in my opinion, is a much better crafted story than both those shows (which I did enjoy, too, but not as much).

I wonder how Season 2 will play out. At first I was bummed that Carrie is no longer with the CIA, but I realized later that this is good. Remember that there is a mole in the CIA (or some other government agency) and now that Carrie is no longer at Langley, she can operate outside of the knowledge of the mole (if we assume the mole isn't someone super close to her, but who knows!)
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject:

Man, just watched the first season and it does not disappoint. Amazing show. Like someone else stated, best show since Breaking Bad had its finale.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
He may still be playing the long con, while Walker is playing a shorter game.

You called that one. BTW, I think someone is a fan of Sawyer from 'Lost'(The long con).

Lakers999 wrote:
i love this show... brody wife's a whore.... your best friend???... CMON!!!!

This reminded me wayyyy too much of The Walking Dead. Same exact situation as Rick, Lori and Shane. Also reminds me of Brothers as well, with the whole POW/the wife thinks he's dead thing going on(even though she didn't cheat on him).
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject:

I know I am WAY behind, and I have intentionally avoided reading this thread for fear of spoilers.

But I just watched episode 9 - where Brodie gets taken at the grocery store and we learn about his past - and I need to vent.

For me, this episode took the series south. I don't buy it anymore. It's become manipulative and contrived.

We spend the first 2/3's of the season being lead to believe that Brodie has been turned and we're just supposed to assume it's because he's been abused and tortured as a prisoner. That was interesting. The cat and mouse between he and everyone else was intriguing.

Then we are lead to believe he is the victim of misunderstanding who has been lied to by the very people he plead his allegiance to. He's just the confused American hero who is trying to find his way and make his home life good again.

Oh wait, he actually IS an operative who is suddenly angry that he has been manipulated into thinking that he killed his friend and thus decides he wants out. Yet he was completely blind to the manipulation he was subjected to when being asked to raise his captor's son. The soldier doesn't connect the fact that a bombing meant to kill his captor actually lead to the death of the child his captor asked him to raise and he is thus sympathetic to his captor? That doesn't even make sense. If anything he'd be PISSED at his captor, not sympathetic with him.

I don't believe Brodie's character in any capacity now - either as a good guy or a bad guy. He's so conveniently one or the other to string the story along that I'm disinterested in what he may be about.

If he's a smart guy who is capable of manipulating people, he wouldn't be so easily manipulated. If he's such a pawn that he's the victim of cheesy games, he'd never have been able to carry out the ruse as far as he has.

They want it both ways, and it's kind of insulting.

I hope the last episodes clear some of this up. But right now I am highly disappointed in how this series looks headed into it's last stretch.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject:

I agree with you DMR. I didn't believe he would put the welfare of a stranger's child or the welfare of his own children.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject:

So I finally watched the whole series.

It was interesting and extremely well done, but the last 1/3 of the season was a crock of manipulative BS. Talk about contrived and unbelievable.

Let's start with the worst offense. Nicholas Brody. Such a turncoat that a Marine who is well versed in the collateral damage of war turns against everything he knows and loves because of a fondness for his CAPTORS son. One drone strike turns him into such a zealot that he turns against not only his country, but his own family . . . oh WAIT! He stills loves his family. He wants what's best for them and lovingly and painfully hopes for their well being after his demise while plotting to commit an act that will destroy them emotionally. He's such a cold-hearted terrorist that he will ignore all the compassion he feels for the family that he rediscovered and pretends to love and respect in order to carry out a terrorist act that he knows will kill himself and destroy his family's love for him. And he does this because he has been brainwashed by his captor. Can't have it both ways.

Meanwhile the other characters about him are zombies to their end of the story. Walker is so one dimensional that he is a detached machine. Well at least to the point that it is convenient. While Brody strives to reinstate himself into his life, Walker is content to crank call his wife just to hear her voice . . well at least as long as it helps the story temporarily locate him before they lose him.

And let's talk about Saul. He's Carrie's biggest advocate when the storyline is dependent on it, and then he capriciously throws her under the bus when it is convenient to the next storyline. He dresses her down whenever she crosses the line and becomes a hapless pawn to his fondness for her whenever the writers feel they need it. He knows she is onto something, yet after showing up at the hospital to attempt to stop her from getting the electro-shock treatment because he knows it is a bad idea, he simply backs off because she asks.

I was even on board in some sense until the final act. Carrie has agreed to electro-shock therapy even though Saul has told her that she was on the right track. Then suddenly as it is too late for her to turn back the clock she puts it all together and then gives up saying, "Please don't let me forget".

Let me guess . . . season 2 will spend at least it's first 4 episodes playing with the fact that Carrie is no longer in the agency but is trying to reconnect with this precious tidbit of crucial information while Brody unbelievably accrues greater and greater influence in the administration until Carrie suddenly has such a breakthrough that everyone believes her again. But just as they do, Brody does something that proves he is actually a "Good Guy" until the next time when it is convenient for him to be a "Terrorist" again.

I value my time better than to jerked around like a yoyo.

It was an interesting series to watch. The acting was great, but the writing in the last portion was intellectually insulting.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules, I think all the characters are supposed to show us how everyone struggles to understand their place, beliefs and objectives during war, whether it be on the battlefield or the general "war on terror", or the war within, as people cope with operating in America among civilians.

I'll just focus on Brodie here:

Brodie was a broken, tortured, scared man, who was "saved" by his Muslim captor. He was shown kindness and entrusted with educating a strangers son, in a strange land. His character is supposed to show us, perhaps, how extremists become extremists; by being broken down and re-habilitated, molded, with extremist beliefs. I think the problem the writers have with Brodie is, at times he appears to be some "Jason Bourne" type character, who has control over any situation he is presented with. But, they are also attempting to convey he's more like John Walker Lind, "American-Taliban"; who wasn't some manipulative, genious, super-soldier, but rather an impressionable kid, who managed to get all the way to Afgahnastan. They then throw him back into the American suburbs, where he's supposed to represent any soldier trying to live a normal life, after being "over there". So, Brodie is just a complex, amalgamation of characters struggling with war. I guess if they had a worse actor playing him it wouldn't be as believable.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules, I think all the characters are supposed to show us how everyone struggles to understand their place, beliefs and objectives during war, whether it be on the battlefield or the general "war on terror", or the war within, as people cope with operating in America among civilians.

I'll just focus on Brodie here:

Brodie was a broken, tortured, scared man, who was "saved" by his Muslim captor. He was shown kindness and entrusted with educating a strangers son, in a strange land. His character is supposed to show us, perhaps, how extremists become extremists; by being broken down and re-habilitated, molded, with extremist beliefs. I think the problem the writers have with Brodie is, at times he appears to be some "Jason Bourne" type character, who has control over any situation he is presented with. But, they are also attempting to convey he's more like John Walker Lind, "American-Taliban"; who wasn't some manipulative, genious, super-soldier, but rather an impressionable kid, who managed to get all the way to Afgahnastan. They then throw him back into the American suburbs, where he's supposed to represent any soldier trying to live a normal life, after being "over there". So, Brodie is just a complex, amalgamation of characters struggling with war. I guess if they had a worse actor playing him it wouldn't be as believable.

That's just it, even as great as he as in the role, the character itself doesn't track at all. The embodies the so many convenient factors off all the various forms it could be, but is loyal to not one single one of them. The character is walking contradiction on every level.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Yeah there's a lot of contradiction with Brody, a friend of mine watches the show and says the same. Says she doesn't know whether to root for him or not and then they change up his character every week.

I think a lot of what they're trying to show is that he was broken mentally and that Abu Nazir showed him kindness and brain washed him into realizing that Americans are corrupt as well. Well he didn't brain wash him, the bombing and cover up showed him that. The jist of it is that he realized that he gave his life up for his country in the belief that his country was better than those Terrorists and fighting for justice. But that bombing and cover up was anything but. It was a terrorist act in itself. Which is what made him initially consider turning.

Now still there are other holes, but I sort of understand why Brody flip flops. He's supposed to. He's supposed to be a character that is in a constant dilemma.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject:

The ambiguity around Brody is what makes this series fascinating. If they portrayed him differently, Homeland would be 24. But it isn't. Of course, there's drama and some stuff is unbelievable, but that's what every television show has. But his struggle and the fact that we can't really root for anybody in this series is what makes it unique for me.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

Just wanted to bump this thread to rave about Season 6. Last two episodes have been incredible.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

One of the top if not the top in Showtime hasn't gotten love since 2012? Damn. Homeland has always been great. Yesterday's episode was bonkers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: