Defense

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Defense

I didn't get to see the game so I would like to ask this. Who guarded who. I want to see how Kobe did agaisnt billups or Prince. Recently Kobe's defense has been weak. If anyone can explain his defense with no bias I would really thank you. Also the other players defense.
LakerFan4Lyfe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:

I need a translation please
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

Ok. This is want I mean. Recently Kobe has been poor on the defensive end. Since I did not see the game I would like to know how he did against who ever he was guarding (Billups or Hamilton). I also would like to know how the team played defense. Also can you explain how they played defense such as if they were lazy or if they played hard. And last I would like to know who played defense against who Example Odom vs Prince or Kobe vs Billups
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

The Lakers played well defensively, Smush kept his hands up, players rotated. Kobe mainly guarded Billups, he was on Rip only a couple of times. He did a good job, I only remember Billups getting by him once maybe twice. There was a lot of hustle and energy on the defensive end, even the second unit tightend it up and cause some turnovers and them to take bad shots. Overall I think their defense was pretty solid it helped them to maintain the lead.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

I would also add that Billups scored a bunch of points at the end of the 2nd period when Kobe was on the bench with 3 fouls.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
Ok. This is want I mean. Recently Kobe has been poor on the defensive end. Since I did not see the game I would like to know how he did against who ever he was guarding (Billups or Hamilton). I also would like to know how the team played defense. Also can you explain how they played defense such as if they were lazy or if they played hard. And last I would like to know who played defense against who Example Odom vs Prince or Kobe vs Billups

Yeah, 8th in the league in steals is just indiciative of his struggles on the other side of the ball. His performance against VC was an emarrassment to anyone that values on the ball D, too.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

Kobe defended Billups for about 60% of the game. Chauncey didn't really go off until .... you guessed it - Sasha was on him. That was just ugly to watch. Vujacic looked like a 15 year old trying to defend a man twice his age and strength. Good move by Phil not to put Vujacic in there in the 2nd half.

Rip started of as Parker's assignment. I don't think Parker did a good job at all.

Our guard defense - Parker+Vujacic - was exposed alot IMO.

Everything else - was solid. Mihm, Kwame, Odom, Bryant, George and even Walton (yes Luke) did good things defensively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Kobe defended Billups for about 60% of the game. Chauncey didn't really go off until .... you guessed it - Sasha was on him. That was just ugly to watch. Vujacic looked like a 15 year old trying to defend a man twice his age and strength. Good move by Phil not to put Vujacic in there in the 2nd half.

Rip started of as Parker's assignment. I don't think Parker did a good job at all.

Our guard defense - Parker+Vujacic - was exposed alot IMO.

Everything else - was solid. Mihm, Kwame, Odom, Bryant, George and even Walton (yes Luke) did good things defensively.

Good analysis. Yes, Walton did a good job, disrupting, causing turnovers. That's the intelligent Luke we need to see more frequently.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:

i dont remeber Billups scoring that much when Kobe was on him.

Kwame did a real good job on Sheed.

I remember George also guarding Billups and he did a good job.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

To be fair, Billups made some incredibly difficult shots against Sasha. If I remember correctly 2 were corner threes from a dead standstill with Sasha right up on him, one was a turnaround fading high arch from the baseline, and the other was the buzzer beater. They were shots that you just have to give the guy props for making.

Still it was sad to see Sasha come down the other end and try to match Billups, only to come up short by 3 feet.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:

One thing about Kobe's D this game is that he took no chances. No gambling for steals or anything. Save that for the bad teams
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

Also I want to give credit to Smush for closing out on guys and getting a hand up in their face. It's been discussed many times this year, and it's nice to see him trying to make the effort even though Phil has said he thinks Smush is hitting the wall.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

When they put Sasha on billups he went off for 11 points. I remember that. Then Kobe locked him down in.

Also, Rasheed was playing good in the first half. In the 4th and end of 3rd Kwame manhandled the Wallace's. He was in Rasheed's grill everytime he was shooting and forced him out of the box in the post. He kept B. Wallace off balance and ate up the boards along with Odom.

Overall the though the Lakers played great.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
akk7 wrote:

Yeah, 8th in the league in steals is just indiciative of his struggles on the other side of the ball. His performance against VC was an emarrassment to anyone that values on the ball D, too.

Thanks for the help. And to Purple Reign. Kobe has been recently actually practically this whole season been weak on defense. This is because of his huge gambles, it makes Sasha look like a good defender. 8th in the league for steals, yeah you guessed it he gambles thats why. And the VC performance why do you bring that up that was in November. Kobe is struggling on the defensive end. But from what the other posters have said he did a good job against Billups. He didn't gamble because he wants to stop one of the leading MVP candidates.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: