Anyone catch Bill Walton's MVP conversation on the game of the week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Kobe should finally get credit for his performance.
straylight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

MVP is not about the record of the team on which the candidate plays.

MVP is not about the record of the team if the candidate did not play for them (or if you substituted an average player for the candidate).

MVP is about the difference between the two. Since it requires imagining what would happen if the player wasn't there it is certainly a very subjective award.

IMO Billups is a ridiculous suggestion for MVP. that team would lose more games if he wasn't there, but only maybe 10-15 more. I think you have to consider nash, Nowitzki, chris paul, Lebron James, Elton Brand. But Kobe is really at the very top of that list.

-stray

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone catch Bill Walton's MVP conversation on the game of the week?

OdomX2 wrote:
What an ass. Musburger was adamantly pro-Kobe for MVP and Walton darn near passed out thinking up reasons why anyone but Kobe was the MVP. "Look at Philly, even they have a better record than the Lakers" Uh no Bill, not true, but thanks for trying. Snapper had Dirk as the MVP but gave Kobe props. But our own Luke Walton's father had nothing good to say about #8.

It's embarrassing that some of these media folks (radio and tv) don't even the simple facts such as standings or current records covered!!
PurpleReign4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
akk7 wrote:
MVP so far no questions asked no questions STEVE NASH. No questions asked.

I have to agree with that. It's amazing the job he's doing without Amare.

I'm sick of that argument. Give Kobe The Matrix and I guarantee you we breeze to 50+ wins. Not even close. Put Raja Bell on this team instead of Luke Walton, we get even better. It's not like Nash is playing with scrubs. Sure he did lose the 2nd or 3rd best player on the team, but Caron was easily one of the best 3 players for the lakers last season, and kwame hasn't in any way matched his contributions.

KOBE = MVP

and thats it
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I guarantee that if Kobe wins MVP, he won't get every vote. I hope that doesn't bother everyone.

I bet it doesn't bother you why should it you hate Kobe.

Still another post to expose your lack of knowledge.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerHabib wrote:
kobenbynum wrote:
Oh by the way in my NBA live dynasty i8'm in my second season and Kobe is a cinch for MVP as he is averaging 37.4 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 11.1 apg and 2.79 spg.

Just thought I'd brag since were on the subject.

But knowing the mentality of these MVP judges, I'd bet they'll completely over look this.

There are some that wouldn't vote for Kobe if he averaged 50 pts, 15 rebounds, 15 assists, 10 steals, and the Lakers went 82-0 and won the title.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Coca James wrote:
MVP means most valuable player.

Take Nash off the suns, they are still a .500 team

Take Kobe off the Lakers, we are worse than the knicks

So who really is more valuable?

I have to go with the player that takes his team from being a .500 team to a contender. We have to remember, the object of the game is to win.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Nash and Kobe should be the only names that are discussed in MVP talks IMO

No player is even close to those two in terms of the amount of games they have won for their team through their ability.

Right on, chauncey billups is a proof that the media are a bunch of hypocrites, they all say the company line, " mvp, means most valuable too my team" " how would this team be without such and such". Then they proclaim, that billups is the mvp? WHat (bleep) is this, they guy is playing with , lets count the all stars, ben wallace,rashhed wallace,rip hamilton...thats 3 if i count correctly , and o yea tayshaun prince was "robbed" off an appearance. U take him off that team and they still are a top 4 team in the east.
4 Pointer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Walton and Musberger were really just being on both sides of issues throughout the game so there could be discussions. I don't see much what with what Walton said.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Walton LOVES Kobe. He was just taking sides, because Mussberger mentioned Kobe.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Walton LOVES Kobe. He was just taking sides, because Mussberger mentioned Kobe.

Yup, Walton also said today he has the upmost respect for Kobe.
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Coca James wrote:

Take Kobe off the Lakers, we are worse than the knicks

Correction: Take off Kobe, and we are THE worst.
gdballa03
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Why would any of you even take anything Bill Walton said serious? He actually has be laughing at times when he has those sarcastic comments.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I guarantee that if Kobe wins MVP, he won't get every vote. I hope that doesn't bother everyone.

Kobe is too polarizing.

He wouldn't get a unanimous MVP title even if he averaged 40/10/10 and
played for the best team in the league.

Someone would still be thinking about Colorado or his past reputation
as a "ballhog," etc.

This year?

I don't happen to agree with how connected the "MVP" award is to team
success (Kobe off the Lakers = Hawks for instance... If Kobe's presence
gives us 30 wins, while Nash gives 25, Dirk 20, Billups 15, etc... that
should count for at least as much as who's lucky enough to be on a good
team).

Kobe won't win MVP or even come close unless the Lakers are at least a
6th seed.

Team success is too huge a factor by most voter's thinking.

Even at a 6th seed he's likely a long-shot.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Without Kobe, this team could have been the worst team in history, with less than 10 games won.

That's why Kobe could become the first MVP in a team without a great team record.

If Kobe isn't too tired , and has enough gas in the tank for a strong finish, helping the team reach the playoffs, he could get a lot of votes and maybe surprise a lot of people...
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject:

MVP definition nowadays is manipulated/twisted constantly by media hacks to give credits to their flavor(s) of the season. Not meaninful anymore.
Warlord23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject:

PurpleReign4 wrote:

I'm sick of that argument. Give Kobe The Matrix and I guarantee you we breeze to 50+ wins. Not even close. Put Raja Bell on this team instead of Luke Walton, we get even better. It's not like Nash is playing with scrubs. Sure he did lose the 2nd or 3rd best player on the team, but Caron was easily one of the best 3 players for the lakers last season, and kwame hasn't in any way matched his contributions.

KOBE = MVP

and thats it

I'm sorry, but the Matrix is simply being overrated. Last year when Nash won, people said that Amare was the real reason behind it; and this year Marion is being given credit for the Suns' performance?!

Consider the facts for a while: in 2002-03, Marion, Amare, Joe Johnson and Marbury played the entire season (no injuries), and the Suns won 44 games and squeaked in as the 8th seed.

2003-04: Marion and JJ were mostly healthy (79 and 82 games respectively), but Amare missed 27 games and Marbury missed 48 games. The result: the Suns stumbled to a mere 29 wins.

2004-05: Nash and Q join the team. Compared to the team of 2 years ago, basically Nash and Q replace Marbury and Penny (who was still a serviceable 10 ppg scorer). The team goes from 44 games to 62 and the 1st seed. You think Marion was the difference-maker? Not a chance. And the people who claimed that Amare's improvement was the sole difference-maker can go ahead and explain how the Suns are on pace to win 56 games without Amare. Or is it because of the "improvement" of Boris Diaw? . Bottomline: Marbury/Marion/Amare/JJ = 44 wins, while Nash/Marion/Diaw/Bell = on pace for 56.

Sure, one can spin a story full of coincidental happenings such as Amare's rapid intrinsic improvement (i.e. no help from Nash), and Diaw's miraculous improvement, and Q-Rich having one extraordinary year before tanking for the Knicks etc etc. The much more plausible explanation is that Nash is really the difference-maker, and has made the game so much easier for teammates by putting them in easy positions to score.

Marion, Diaw, Bell are all having career years with Nash. Q had his only decent year with Nash. Amare made a gigantic leap when Nash arrived on the scene. Coincidence? I think not. Nash puts them in a great position to succeed. Nash is far and away the mvp of the league this year; same as last year.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:

Shawn Marion is the MVP of the Suns this year. Diaw has reduced Nash's impact.
Warlord23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:

jminges wrote:
akk7 wrote:

Shawn Marion is the MVP of the Suns this year. Diaw has reduced Nash's impact.

Read my post above. Marion is no MVP. A healthy Marion led the Suns to 29 wins 2 years ago. At that time, Suns fans' feelings about Marion were pretty close to Laker fans' thoughts on Odom: overpaid 3rd option. And Marion totalled 39 points in the series vs the Spurs last year; a series in which Amare averaged 37 ppg. He can't create his own shot.

Nash's arrival has transformed Marion; all he needs to do is run the floor, rebound, and make the open shots. So can Diaw, Bell, Jones etc. He is a replaceable piece. The only irreplaceable piece in that system is Nash.

Think back to last year, even. Suns were off to a Pistons-like start when Nash got injured. The Suns with Amare, Marion, Joe Johnson struggled to win against mediocre teams. Take Nash out, and the Suns are an 8th seed at best. Put him in, and they're a contender.
T3D
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:

Boy the NBA really hates Allen Iverson. He and Kobe is at the top of the MVP List, but of course most say Nash because of assists? Gilbert Arenas and Lebron James are more of an MVP than Nash IMO.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:

how kobe isn't a frontrunner for MVP given where some of the crappier teams with top notch superstars are is beyond me, considering the number of victories he has single-handedly willed.

i can't think of a worse 3-12 in the league. 2-12 for that matter.
lakers_less_340+
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone catch Bill Walton's MVP conversation on the game of the week?

OdomX2 wrote:
What an ass. Musburger was adamantly pro-Kobe for MVP and Walton darn near passed out thinking up reasons why anyone but Kobe was the MVP. "Look at Philly, even they have a better record than the Lakers" Uh no Bill, not true, but thanks for trying. Snapper had Dirk as the MVP but gave Kobe props. But our own Luke Walton's father had nothing good to say about #8.

I have to mute Walton most of the time partly due to his voice, which just irritates me and then there is his senseless ramblings which makes long to hear someone to run their nails on a chalk board instead. I put Barkley in the same league as Walton!
PhillyDoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blo...=sheridan_chris

Most Valuable Player: Tony Parker, Spurs. He's the best player on his team with Tim Duncan operating below 100 percent all season with a foot injury, and the prediction here is he'll lead San Antonio to the league's best record when all is said and done. Runners-up: Steve Nash, Suns; Dirk Nowitzki, Mavs.

Just to throw water on tonights game - Sheridan's choice of MVP which is actually not a bad one as right now my candidates include in this order:

1) Kobe - plausibly doing the most with the least around him (although many days lately I wonder if Odom > than Webber all around)
2) Brand - raised his game and his team although Casell has a lot to do with that too.
3) Nash - also raised his game even over last years, but Marion is also significant contributor
4) Parker - significantly raised his game leading to at least 10 wins on his efforts alone for the Spurs and controling many games with his tempo - still fact he has even an injured Duncan on his team makes his job easier.
5) AI - quietly doing almost as much as Kobe and last week has been amazing including a 47 and 12 assist game.

Others considered: Dirk, Billups (although I think case can be made that R. Wallace even more valuable this year for his defense), Marion (late season run at it); and James (until their latest fade by the Cavs)
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

^
Odom brings more overall than Webber, but AI doesn't just have C-Webb. He has Webber, Iggy, Korver, Dalambert. That are 4 players that bring completely different skills and abilities to the table.

That team should be a 50 win team in the East. But because Iverson is so ball dominant, that team will always underachieve.

Iverson's ball dominant ways have cost him a spot on the Olympic team. He needs to change his game like Kobe did this past season and become more of an off the ball player.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: