Why are we double teaming Duncan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:

I could never understand why NBA players always have the tendency to "cheat" on defense. This is the worst possible thing a defense can do. You should never cheat on defense - especially in the NBA. You either stick to your man like glue or double down. Don't play in between, you can't do anything there. If the balls kicked out the opposition gets a wide open shot. If the ball's passed inside, it's already to late to double; NBA players are quick as heck and they'll either take it in or shoot.

I'll repeat, never never never cheat on defense. It only causes break downs. Why can't this Laker team understand that?
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

If anyone is to blame for this game it was PJ. He has to see that Kwame could take Duncan. And he never told his players dish into Odom in the post. He was begging for it. The Lakers have a tremendous opportunity with him in the post being guarded by 6'4" Ginobili. I don't get it?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:

Wannabeer wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Wannabeer wrote:
Guess we'll see on friday just how great Kwame's Allstar post D really is...No double teams and we'll see TD get a double double in the first quarter. The dude is rounding into shape looking healther the last few games...

Did you watch the game last night? Seriously... answer.

O course I did. And if you've watched as many Spurs games as I have you would know how pathetic he's looked most of the year. However just in the last few weeks he's made huge strides(manu as well) which tells me he's getting healthier(and he's stated this recently as well)...which is bad news for the rest of the league. He's about the only weakness on that team this year and now thats looking questionable. If TD is even close to 90% its usually good enough to beat most defenders in this league(look at last years playoffs for an example), including a career underachiever like Kwame.

Kwame defended TD straight-up early last night, before the Lakers started jerking around with double teams. And his man defense was quite effective against TD. Kwame's been an effective post defender all year, and given his recent performance in the Pistons game, I thought a Laker fan would be encouraged. Yet you lionize TD like a *purs fan, and overlook the fact that Kwame played good defense one-on-one against him.
boricua
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:

Dunno why double teaming Duncan. The guy is injured and he's not even at 80% so Kwame alone was able to contain him due to that.

The outside shot killed us.
Wannabeer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:

Kwame's got a long way to go before I start calling him the "duncan Stopper"
Reality check, if Kwame can do this on a consistent(key word here is consistent) bases he has my props. However, consistency is something Kwame has NEVER had and this goes for both his O and his awesome D on post players...lets see if Kwame can actually put together back to back solid games against the Hornets wednesday. West and PJ are very solid and will test PJ's patients with Kwame for sure.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

Sad part about htis is it doesn't matter what the Lakers did...

Double - why double?

Man D - why not double?

I can tell that there are many that don't understand D and they are looking for excuses for a tough loss...

1) Kwame is unproven against the second best player in the league.

2) DG committed to the double. In a team D scheme, Smush HAD to rotate to cover DG's man. He didn't.

3) DG may have done better to let Kwame STAND TD up and come from behind with the block.

4) Help and rotation is what seperates good defensive teams from bad ones... period. The whole team does it. Only a few guys on our team do it. Somebody's bound to be open when half of your team is in help-mode and the other is in strict man-D mode...

Watch the game again. A few mental breakdowns. A hot streak or 2 from downtown.

That was the difference in the game.
Wannabeer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

Double - why double?

Man D - why not double?

I can tell that there are many that don't understand D and they are looking for excuses for a tough loss...

2) DG committed to the double. In a team D scheme, Smush HAD to rotate to cover DG's man. He didn't.

3) DG may have done better to let Kwame STAND TD up and come from behind with the block.

4) Help and rotation is what seperates good defensive teams from bad ones... period. The whole team does it. Only a few guys on our team do it. Somebody's bound to be open when half of your team is in help-mode and the other is in strict man-D mode...

That is exactly why PJ came with the double all night long. Period. End of story. Get ready for wednesday and hope we dont lose focus looking ahead to friday.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

Double - why double?

Man D - why not double?

Can't disagree with some of your points, but DG was coming too early in the shot clock and was taking poor angles. I don't mind the occasional double, but against an experienced team with shooters, it's just plain stupid to do it everytime down the floor.

Also, although TD's numbers were decent, most of those came on layups in the 1st half when Parker drove the lane.

In truth, we're just not good enough or smart enough.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Double - why double?

Man D - why not double?

Can't disagree with some of your points, but DG was coming too early in the shot clock and was taking poor angles. I don't mind the occasional double, but against an experienced team with shooters, it's just plain stupid to do it everytime down the floor.

Also, although TD's numbers were decent, most of those came on layups in the 1st half when Parker drove the lane.

I agree that DG was a little overzealous but really, he had good intentions and it STILL would have worked if the help rotation got there in time...

Communication...Smush had no IDEA what was going on. That was the difference in most of the open shots...
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

Double - why double?

Man D - why not double?

Good Gawd!!! A rational post?

Dude, see I knew it! When you stop fighting you can actually make sense...
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Double - why double?

Man D - why not double?

That's funny...we only have differences on LO and I don't even bother you about that anymore...

People are acting like they KNEW Kwame was going to shut TD down...nobody knew that...reaction complaining. That's not good...
Wannabeer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Double - why double?

Man D - why not double?

GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

Don't encourage him...
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Double - why double?

Man D - why not double?

You'll see a differant look on D from the Lakers in the next contest. Even as we speak they are probably reviewing film, and slapping each other in the head. The Lakers are learning from most of these total ass whoopins. The Spurs smoked the Lakers in the third, and did it with the same weapon every damn time down the floor!
Wannabeer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
raffi wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Double - why double?

Man D - why not double?

You'll see a differant look on D from the Lakers in the next contest. Even as we speak they are probably reviewing film, and slapping each other in the head. The Lakers are learning from most of these total ass whoopins. The Spurs smoked the Lakers in the third, and did it with the same weapon every damn time down the floor!

I hope they arent looking ahead yet. They still gotta worry about the Hornets on wednesday! That team is not going to be a cake walk...Spurs will be there on friday on the second day of a back to back...prime for a lose more than likely.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

Uh oh beer... I forgot about that....

Damnit. the HOrnets is a must win. We actually are hearing footsteps from the (bleep) Kings!

Even if we don't make the playoffs please God make sure we keep the damned Kings heads under water fighting for air!

Yeah,I'll take that beer now...

Great name!

Makes me wanna change my name to "Wantsomenuki"!

Wannabeer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
Uh oh beer... I forgot about that....

Damnit. the HOrnets is a must win. We actually are hearing footsteps from the (bleep) Kings!

Even if we don't make the playoffs please God make sure we keep the damned Kings heads under water fighting for air!

Yeah,I'll take that beer now...

Great name!

Makes me wanna change my name to "Wantsomenuki"!

Thats funny, that was going to be my second choice if this name was taken...
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

PhillyDoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

Duncan looked good last night and was more active than he has been until recently; and until the eye injury was playing better with almost a triple double - Kwame is a fine defender but cannot yet handle a motivated Duncan alone IMO
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

PhillyDoc wrote:
Duncan looked good last night and was more active than he has been until recently; and until the eye injury was playing better with almost a triple double - Kwame is a fine defender but cannot yet handle a motivated Duncan alone IMO

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: