Season MVP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agar5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

I think Lebron will win it, barely beating out Nash. I don't think voters will want Nash to win 2 consecutive years. I've heard Billups name come up and I honestly don't think he is an MVP candidate. He is on a great team that would probably still be the top 3 seed in the East without him.

Take Kobe away from the Lakers and you got a top lottery team. I think the MVP award doesn't have its luster as it used to carry. I hear sports reporters and the media saying they can't vote for Kobe, because of his past and blah, blah, blah. If these are the people who vote for the award then their is no credibility for having it in the first place. They should create the best player in the league award.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:

Kobe, Nash or Dirk.

The media is all over LeBron for choking at the end of games.

Nash is "leading" a bunch of nobodys, excluding Marion, to a very good record and a very strong run during the end stretch. If his ankle is really hurt though, he may not get it because I believe the Suns will still win half the games without him.

Dirk is the "leader" of a team battling hard for the best record in the league. This means a lot. I personally don't think he should be considered.

Kobe is the best player in the league and is bringing it against EVERYONE, EVERYNIGHT. He is tops on offensive and top 6 or 7 on defense. Take all he has done in his career year and the team is barely hanging on to a playoff spot makes him MVP.

Smiles my friends. Let's go make money.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
boricua
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:

ESPN is gonna try to pusj for Lebron but Nash has the bst case.
The Kings are unbeaten in 10 home games since Artest's arrival, beating opponents by an average of 16 points per game. The Kings have won 14 of their last 18 overall, with their opponents' scoring average and shooting percentages all dropping sharply.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

It's Nash - and it wouldn't be a fluke.

Lakes would need to have 50 to 55 wins for Kobe to get serious consideration.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

lebron's team is faltering AGAIN in the 2nd half of the season...i'll be shocked if he gets it.

dirk is possible...but not likely. i'd say he has about the same chance as billups.

it's nash hands down.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
jminges wrote:
If the Lakers make the playoffs, Kobe should win the MVP!

- Kobe 35.3 ppg, Lamar 14 ppg, +21.3 ppg differential.
- Kobe set a number of LA Lakers/NBA records this year.

- To get in the playoffs, we'd have to beat 16 (of 21) playoff calibur teams.

Actually, it's a 2.5:1 differential. It's a common mistake that NBA announcers make. A differential is actually a ratio. It's a 21.3 ppg difference.

And I believe Kobe deserves the MVP, but no way he gets it over Nash and even LBJ. My argument for Kobe winning the MVP, he has a low talent team potentially going to the playoffs. If the Lakers don't make it, well, Kobe doesn't deserve it. If they make a last push to a higher seed. He should definitely be considered.

Since the writers are the ones that vote...KB8 will be out of luck for a while, when it comes to that award.

Thank you.

Lakers
- No 20 ppg player (or sidekick)
- No 10 rpg player
- No good shooters
- No defense/depth

Suns
- Marion 22 ppg player
- Marion 12 rpg player
- Bench full of shooters
- Plenty of defense/Amare coming back

Nash on the Lakers, we don't make the playoffs. Bryant on the Suns, they win a title.

Last year, Nash was the clear MVP (no defense/depth). This year, it's totally different.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
Kobe, Nash or Dirk.

The media is all over LeBron for choking at the end of games.

Nash is "leading" a bunch of nobodys, excluding Marion, to a very good record and a very strong run during the end stretch. If his ankle is really hurt though, he may not get it because I believe the Suns will still win half the games without him.

Dirk is the "leader" of a team battling hard for the best record in the league. This means a lot. I personally don't think he should be considered.

Kobe is the best player in the league and is bringing it against EVERYONE, EVERYNIGHT. He is tops on offensive and top 6 or 7 on defense. Take all he has done in his career year and the team is barely hanging on to a playoff spot makes him MVP.

Smiles my friends. Let's go make money.

I like Dirk... but the Mavs seem to do this every season. I have E. Brand getting it before Dirk.

I can understand the LBJ arguement... but if you can vote for LBJ,.. then you can vote KB8. KB8 is doing a lot more, with a lot less around him... plus who would you like taking a game winning shot, LBJ or KB8?

With that said, in my eyes, it's a two horse race, mp3 and KB8. Without KB8, this team doesn't win 15 games. I think that says alot.

I still think mp3 will win, but if I were voting, KB8 gets my vote (laker bias aside)...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
minervafilms
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:

1. Nash
2. Nowitzki
3. LeBron
4. Bryant
5. Billups
FerrisVille
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

critical_beatdown wrote:
Cuban has to be kicking himself...he let a 2-time consecutive MVP walk.
hmm, I don't think so, last time I checked they have a better record than the suns, and Devin Harris is going to be something special, not to mention Terry seems to be holding down the fort.
ncaugnit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:

If Lakes make the playoffs....it's got to be Kobe.

As much as I love Nash's game......he not only has played with an all-star player in Shawn Marion, but he plays in an offensive system that also contributes to the success of his teamates. Pretty much everybody on the Suns has the green light to shoot if they're open. They run up and down the floor fastbreaking constantly(just like we all did in elementary school). Besides that the suns have some vets on their team. Guys like Eddie House, Raja Bell, and Kurt Thomas for example that the Lakes just don't have. Take Nash off the Suns.... and Phoenix would be battling for the 8th seed...like the Lakers are now.

Take Kobe off the Lakes.......then we're the Knicks.

To me this is just a two-man race. Dirk is too soft, Lebron is still a tad too young(incredible though), and Chauncey's teamates are TOO good for him to win it.

Just Steve and KB. I'll give it to Kobe.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:

IMO Nash deserves it at this point. Their best big man goes down, then Kurt Thomas goes down and they dont miss a beat. It really is impressive.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

gp5 wrote:
critical_beatdown wrote:
hmm, I don't think so, last time I checked they have a better record than the suns, and Devin Harris is going to be something special, not to mention Terry seems to be holding down the fort.

On top of all that, Dallas is now top 10 in defense in 4 categories.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:

gp5 wrote:
critical_beatdown wrote:

yeah it seemed to work out for both squads but when you think about it it wasnt that great. Dallas let Nash go so they could sign Dampier and he might be worse than Kwame at this point. Also, Dont forget who knocked Dallas out of the playoffs last year(PHX), that was huge and mustve just killed Cuban. This year Dallas is most likely going to get the Spurs in the 2nd and theyll be out again.
baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject:

The league wants lebron to win it, for marketing purposes, but Nash will win it. I see the voting going like this
1. Nash
2. Kobe
3. Billups

Those three are the only ones worthy of the the mvp, and it should be Kobe but we all know record is the number one factor.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the media do the majority of the voting for MVP? If that's the case we all know Kobe's not winning it.

Right or wrong, the Lakers would need to go on a major win streak to close out the season for Kobe to get seriously considered. I'm talking, pretty much drive towards that 6th playoff seed, and I just don't really see that happening with the way the team has been playing lately. When analysts trot out their MVP predictions Kobe's name either doesn't come up or comes up maybe third or fourth. Nash is gonna take it again.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

Normandy wrote:
I dont think anyone would remember that. I mean, it's not only about a last minute plays in a few games, but the season's performance. Without LJ, the Cavs are the bottom-5 team in the league
And, where are the Lakers without Kobe?

Nash?
Quote:
Even without Nash on the floor, the Suns erased an eight-point deficit and won their 11th in a row.
<link>
boricua
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

Agree baller,

Nash
Kobe
Billups
The Kings are unbeaten in 10 home games since Artest's arrival, beating opponents by an average of 16 points per game. The Kings have won 14 of their last 18 overall, with their opponents' scoring average and shooting percentages all dropping sharply.
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Lebron suck.....he is not going to win the MVP
The Cavs are not evening playing not good, they are in the 4th place just because the East sucks.
Nash is definitely the MVP so far, next to him would be Billups and Dirk, then Kobe!!
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Nash will win it.

My order:

1. Nash
2. Kobe
3. Lerbon
4. Dirk
5. Marion
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

This may be a bit stat heavy for people's tastes, but it is an interesting read. For anyone who isn't familiar with 82Games, they do great work in plowing through NBA stats. There's a lot more than what I quoted below, but I've included the link to the full article. Check this out:

http://www.82games.com/wilq.htm

Quote:

Predicting the NBA's Most Valuable Player 2005/06

(Statistics and standings through games of 2/22/06)

Of course all players from actual season don't have enough games played to qualify (70) but we can just assume that all their averages will not change until the end of season so tendex will also be the same.

To compare team's wins to previous season we have to estimate the number of wins using actual percentage of wins. For example Pistons have 43 wins and 9 losses. Their winning percentage is 0,827. Assuming they continue this pace they will have 82*0,827=67 (67,8 to be exact) wins at the end of season.

Finally using my formula let's predict top MVP vote-getters:

1) Chauncey Billups - 85,9 MVP Points
2) Dirk Nowitzki - 81,7 MVPP
3) LeBron James - 77,8 MVPP
4) Steve Nash - 77,3 MVPP
5) Tim Duncan - 75,7 MVPP

So providing the Pistons continue their pace for around 67 wins, historically Billups will be an easy choice. But the race for second place is very close with four possible players - Duncan, Nowitzki, LeBron and Nash. Nowitzki's only advantage right now is that his team is atop West but who knows for how long?
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Kobe should get it .
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Lebron wins it, he's getting the reputation as someone who can't make the big shots at the end of the game.

I'm not sure that Nash gets it, mainly because he won last year. I think the writers will look somewhere else.

I think Billups is a legitamate possibility. Writers are going to have a hard time not rewarding SOMEONE on the Pistons.

Kobe has a good shot if the Lakers are able to put together some winning streaks in the last 20 games. Especially if the Lakers are able to move up in the standings.
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject:

No way Lebron wins it unless Stern has somethig to do with it. Nash should win hands down.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: