Bill Simmons:I was wrong

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Bill Simmons:I was wrong

Quote:
Q: Are you crazy? Like him or not, Kobe is the BEST player on the PLANET right now. You cannot leave him off the Olympic team. You have to have him, even if it means leaving Shaq to eat triple cheeseburgers in Miami. No two players in the NBA can defend him, no other scorer in the NBA plays defense like he does, and really, who do you want taking the potential game-winning shot in the gold medal game? Shaq would tell you Kobe.
-- Greg Rivaldi, Carlsbad, Calif.

SG: That last point is a really good one. When I made my 2008 team, I was projecting 30 months from now and hoping that LeBron and/or Wade would be just as competent at crunch time. And I'm not sure you can have all three guys on the team because they're all Alpha Dogs, and we learned the hard way that you can't have an Olympic team with too many Alpha Dogs. At the same time, if my life depended on it, and I needed a basket with 10 seconds to play, Kobe would be the guy.

(Translation: I was wrong. Having a 2008 team without Kobe is shortsighted, even if he's contrived and self-centered to a certain degree, and even if he hasn't had a single teammate enjoy playing with him since 2001. In crunch time, you need him. I'm going to take another crack at that column this summer after we see what happens with Shaq and Stoudemire this spring. I'm also willing to reconsider Carmelo.)
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Simmons:I was wrong

nesli wrote:
Quote:
Q: Are you crazy? Like him or not, Kobe is the BEST player on the PLANET right now. You cannot leave him off the Olympic team. You have to have him, even if it means leaving Shaq to eat triple cheeseburgers in Miami. No two players in the NBA can defend him, no other scorer in the NBA plays defense like he does, and really, who do you want taking the potential game-winning shot in the gold medal game? Shaq would tell you Kobe.

SG: That last point is a really good one. When I made my 2008 team, I was projecting 30 months from now and hoping that LeBron and/or Wade would be just as competent at crunch time. And I'm not sure you can have all three guys on the team because they're all Alpha Dogs, and we learned the hard way that you can't have an Olympic team with too many Alpha Dogs. At the same time, if my life depended on it, and I needed a basket with 10 seconds to play, Kobe would be the guy.

(Translation: I was wrong. Having a 2008 team without Kobe is shortsighted, even if he's contrived and self-centered to a certain degree, and even if he hasn't had a single teammate enjoy playing with him since 2001. In crunch time, you need him. I'm going to take another crack at that column this summer after we see what happens with Shaq and Stoudemire this spring. I'm also willing to reconsider Carmelo.)

No translation from me: Owned.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

Haha, classic. Even when he's saying he's wrong Simmons still takes a crack at Kobe. Well, he's a Celtics guy...
JRocc88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

even when attempting to compliment Kobe, Simmons can't help but make some snide remark about him. What a tool...
puajibai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:

link?
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:

Wrong and biased against Kobe again.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:

The guy is just a hater, plain and simple.
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

puajibai wrote:
link?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060308
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

What a little biased biatch. This guy didnt have kobe on the olympic team? its just amazing how writers and media types allow their personal reasons to affect their judgement. I wish someone did a extensive study on the media and examined how their own personal bias affects their reporting.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

vvbandit wrote:
What a little biased biatch. This guy didnt have kobe on the olympic team? its just amazing how writers and media types allow their personal reasons to affect their judgement. I wish someone did a extensive study on the media and examined how their own personal bias affects their reporting.

You should go find the article. It's funny in a eye-rolling kind of way. Not only did he not have Kobe on his Olympic team, but his reason for choosing to leave Kobe off was that if Kobe was on the team, Shaq wouldn't be on it.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Simmons:I was wrong

nesli wrote:
Quote:

LeBron and/or Wade???? Weren't they on the 2004 BRONZE medal team? Sorry guys, BRONZE is not good enough to get you a second chance!

As for the author... Take your BEAN-TOWN butt, and hateraid, and move to Pluto!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Let them hate...so long as they fear.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Simmons:I was wrong

nesli wrote:
Quote:

What in the world is Devean George then?
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Simmons:I was wrong

nesli wrote:
Quote:

Couldn't keep in the hate.

Sounds to me like Simmons is contrived and self centered to a certain degree, and hasn't had a single fan enjoy reading his articles since whenever.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Simmons is a long-time Celtics fan=s. Everything is through that shade of green. That said, he is normally funny, but he does have blind Laker hate.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
HawaiianPunch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

With the little amount of hope I had left that Simmons was not a complete homer, Simmons wrote an article a couple weeks ago about the worst GMs in the game today...and of course never mentioned Danny Ainge.

The guy is a clown. I don't think he is funny or insightful. I have no idea what his deal is...maybe it's because I'm not from Boston. Leaving Kobe off the Olympic team shows just how stupid he really is. And his "I'm wrong" BS kind of loses it's meaning when he still has to take backhanded shots at Kobe.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

He was wrong alright.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:

even if he hasn't had a single teammate enjoy playing with him since 2001

Maybe he should try actually making statements founded in fact rather than his own slanted "observations."
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Going to hell won't be so terrible now that I'll have ice for my drink.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: