Peyton Manning to be released by the Colts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Peyton Manning to be released by the Colts

Even though I knew it was going to happen it still made me do a double take.

Goodbye Peyton

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7653897/sources-indianapolis-colts-part-peyton-manning-wednesday

Quote:

Source: Colts to release Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning's 14-year career as a member of the Indianapolis Colts is coming to an end.

Sources close to the team told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the announcement will come at a news conference in Indianapolis on Wednesday with both Manning and owner Jim Irsay in attendance.

The decision to pass on the $28 million bonus owed Manning and not to pick up the four remaining years on his contract means Manning will become a free agent, and sources told Mortensen that he intends to continue to play.

Free agency begins March 13, but Manning can sign with a team as soon as he is officially released. The Colts have until 4 p.m. ET on Thursday to make the transaction official.

Irsay and Manning's agent, Tom Condon, did not immediately respond to messages left by The Associated Press. Team spokesman Avis Roper said he could not confirm the decision or the news conference because Irsay was out of town and unreachable.

The four-time league MVP missed the entire 2011 season after having his third neck surgery in 19 months, a fusion of two vertebrae. Manning, who turns 36 later this month, has been medically cleared to resume his career and has increased his throwing regimen.

To that end, Manning conducted an aggressive throwing session in his Colts helmet, shoulder pads and jersey at Duke University on Friday, a source in attendance told ESPN's Mortensen.

Manning could be seen in a video clip posted late Friday on YouTube, independently verified as authentic, making apparent encouraging progress in his recovery from the surgery that sidelined him for all of last season. He could also be seen completing passes in the video posted by a user who had access to a videotaped portion of the session near the Duke practice field.

Sources at Duke and close to Manning confirmed he has been conducting aggressive throwing sessions in shoulder pads and helmet since Feb. 28 at Duke, where his former University of Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe is now the head coach. It was Manning's second trip to work under the supervision of Cutcliffe.

Several sources have told ESPN during the past month that Manning's throwing strength has dramatically improved as his nerves continue to regenerate following his latest neck surgery Sept. 8. Dr. Robert Watkins, who performed the single-level cervical fusion, has stated publicly that he has cleared Manning to resume his playing career.

But the Colts are rebuilding and over the past two months, Irsay has fired vice chairman Bill Polian, coach Jim Caldwell; most of Caldwell's staff and general manager Chris Polian, Bill's son. The Colts also have the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft and are likely to draft former Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck or former Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.

A former No. 1 overall picks himself, Manning has broken all of Indianapolis' career records for quarterbacks since being drafted out of Tennessee in 1998. He's taken the Colts to the playoffs 11 times, captured seven AFC South titles in eight years, won two AFC championships, one Super Bowl title and a Super Bowl MVP Award.

But in 2009, after Manning brought the Colts to the cusp of history with a 14-0 start, bad news began to overshadow his lengthy resume.

The Colts pulled their starters against the New York Jets and lost the final two games that season. Indy then wound up losing to New Orleans in the Super Bowl. During the offseason, Manning had the first of his neck surgeries.

Then, after making an early playoff exit in the 2010 season, Manning underwent another neck surgery to repair a damaged nerve that was causing weakness in his throwing arm.

Last July, Irsay signed Manning to a new five-year, $90 million contract extension that everyone expected would keep Manning in Indy for the rest of his career.

But when the nerve did not heal as quickly as anticipated, Manning had two vertebrae fused together in September, a surgery that forced him to miss the first game of his career.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Indy's Suck Era begins.

That said, welcome to Miami, Peyton! Dream scenario is we sign Manning, draft Osweiler to develop. Round out the rest of the team (RT, DT, DE/OLB, TE) and everything's in place.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Damn Peyton really went out with class. You get use to these messy divorces. This is definitely nice to see.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Can you imagine him going to Miami and they meet the Giants in Superbowl XLVIII?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Can you imagine him going to Miami and they meet the Giants in Superbowl XLVIII?

In their hometown of New Orleans.....

I don't see that happening though would be pretty nightmarish for the family if you ask me.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Irsay says it's not about the money. Then says they're rebuilding and mentions Peyton's contract. I say http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TV7ovGDvaWw/Tht9Vz88emI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/DoZh2XMgyxU/s1600/(bleep)+detector+1.gif
It is about the money.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject:

We all knew that here in Indy I'd respect him more if he just admitted it I think its the right decision but this could've all be handled far better.

I get why Baltimore hates the Irsay family
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
We all knew that here in Indy I'd respect him more if he just admitted it I think its the right decision but this could've all be handled far better.

Basketball Fan wrote:

It being the right decision IMO is an unknown.

I understand why Irsay didn't want to take a 20 million gamble, Peyton's health is still an unknown.

I'd hate to be in Andrew Luck's shoes. He's going to be expected to do much more than I think he's capable of in his first year. I hope he can handle the pressure. I don't want to see another Ryan Leaf.

I think the one who'll benefit most is Robert Griffin III. His debut won't be as scrutinized. If I were a betting man I'd bet he has a better rookie year.

Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Just earlier today at the main road in Miami, I saw a Mayflower truck while driving. Just odd to see that truck over here and Manning being releasing from the Colts in the noon. Enjoy the new era, BB.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Basketball Fan wrote:

It being the right decision IMO is an unknown.

I understand why Irsay didn't want to take a 20 million gamble, Peyton's health is still an unknown.

I'd hate to be in Andrew Luck's shoes. He's going to be expected to do much more than I think he's capable of in his first year. I hope he can handle the pressure. I don't want to see another Ryan Leaf.

I think the one who'll benefit most is Robert Griffin III. His debut won't be as scrutinized. If I were a betting man I'd bet he has a better rookie year.

The only thing Luck is going to expected is playing for a bad team for a number of years and be torn apart.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject:

BREAKING NEWS.

Manning landed in Opalocka Airport(near Miami) to meet Dolphins officials.

Heard it on the radio.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Indy's Suck Era begins.

That said, welcome to Miami, Peyton! Dream scenario is we sign Manning, draft Osweiler to develop. Round out the rest of the team (RT, DT, DE/OLB, TE) and everything's in place.

How are you a Miami fan in the NFL while simultaneously an L.A. fan in the NBA?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
<b>BREAKING NEWS</b>.

Heard it on the radio.

The general consensus I'm getting from sports talk is Miami's a front runner. He owns property there. Plus he'll not be in a position possibly eliminate Eli. He doesn't like competing against his brother.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Indy's Suck Era begins.

There are plenty of Laker-Dolphins fans that I'm aware of. LA doesn't have a football team so I can chose my team like a FA.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
<b>BREAKING NEWS</b>.

Heard it on the radio.

In other news, all flights out of Miami have been cancelled until Manning signs the contract. Make it happen Ross.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject:

I hear you guys were following him like OJ and really I don't think he'll play for Miami I can't see it.

I mean they'll have a better season than the Colts but taking ones talents to South Beach is rather cliche at this point.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I hear you guys were following him like OJ and really I don't think he'll play for Miami I can't see it.

I mean they'll have a better season than the Colts but taking ones talents to South Beach is rather cliche at this point.

Well, yea. We'd have a better season than the Colts even if we started a tackling dummy at QB.

I for one would be happy with the cliche. (bleep) LeBron. This is a completely different situation with Manning especially since Manning's the anti-LeBron. The only thing stopping Manning to Miami is another Ross bungle or Manning doesn't pass the physicals (sadly, it's what cost us Drew Brees ).
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Now that he's a free agent, let's sign him to play PG for the Lakers.
Andrew Evenstar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject:

My first thought was that I felt bad for him but I also though Miami would be his destination. Anywhere he is I'll root for him, he's my fav QB in the league.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Indy's Suck Era begins.

There are plenty of Laker-Dolphins fans that I'm aware of. LA doesn't have a football team so I can chose my team like a FA.

Free_Kobe and sonn...
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Where do you think he's going to play? Houston? Washington? Denver? Jacksonville? Jets?

There's only only two option that is great for Peyton Manning. Houston and Miami.

In Miami, the Dolphins got everything for him. It's the perfect place for him to play and to retire.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Where do you think he's going to play? Houston? Washington? Denver? Jacksonville? Jets?

There's only only two option that is great for Peyton Manning. Houston and Miami.

In Miami, the Dolphins got everything for him. It's the perfect place for him to play and to retire.

Especially since he's already got a house in Florida and is good friends with Marino.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/dan-marino-could-miami-ace-hole-peyton-manning-234558969.html
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject:

man.. he'd be awesome in San Fran.. but he doesn't want to be in the same conference as Eli.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject:

Also Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl in Miami at Dolphin Stadium, so they have that working for them....If the Dolphins don't get him I'll be surprised.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: