What do you think we could get for Bynum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Hakeem and Shaq matched up during Shaq's best physical years. Guess who won that battle?

Hakeem made Shaq cry after the NBA Finals.

Shaq is probably top 5 All-Time in Big's - but I think Hakeem was more talented and a better overall bigman when you consider defensive and offensive impact.

Equal footing? I didn't know Hakeem had one of the best guards ever in Kobe Bryant playing with him during his two championships. It was Hakeem and very talented role players.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
So the idea is to gut the team to get Kobe some help? That would mean next season would be the season of geling together (Every Superstar needs it). Then 2007/2008 to become contenders. If we are to believe that there is only a 3 to 4 year window of Kobe's prime as suggested :roll: then that would mean Kobe would have a chance to win a max of 2 titles before his prime magically expires. Then where do these wonderfully foresighted people see the organisation being? In rebuilding mode with an over the hill former superstar and starting from scratch again?? Oh wait....Maybe Kobe get's traded at that point for a young superstar? I just can't figure the shortsigtedness of some. Keeping Bynum isn't just about maximizing Kobes prime. This is an organisation that wants to be well placed for IT's future, not just the future of ONE of it's players. The Lakers won championships before Kobe (11 of em) and they'd like to be in a position to win some after he's long and gone. Unlike Chicago with Jordan, the Bulls have always sucked - and now they suck again because they put all their eggs in one basket. Boggles the mind how so many here want to see the Lakers follow that blueprint. And if you really think Kobe/Gasol yeilds more titles than Kobe/Shaq in 7 years then I've one thing to say: Pass it on over here bruddah. I wanna take a toke too....

You're not considering what shouldering a mediocre team that has to fight for an 8th spot every year will do to a superstar. Pair Kobe up with someone now and the winning can possibly prolong his career. But keep him with the present mix of modestly talented players that he has to play 40 something minutes and score 40-something pts EVERY NIGHT just to have a shot at the 8th spot and get blown out by the Spurs in the first round and it won't matter if Bynum starts to blossom 5 years from now. Kobe will be fried.

So your assumption is that this very same Lakers team with the addtion of a point guard in the off season and potentially a second pure shooter - would still JUST be in competition for an 8th seed next season. I supposed I'm simply overly optimistic then because with those simple ADDITIONS I see this team being a 4-6 seed next season and contending for a Pacific division crown the year after (especially considering they'll have a chance at attracting a significant pickup with the money they'll have). And if I were to subscribe to the notion that Kobe's career would be shortened for playing on a 4-6 seed team next year and a challenger for the Pac Div crown the following then the same logic would mean that his career was likewise extended for playing on 5 championship contending teams. :roll: Very flawed logic...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ningtong88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject:

showtime1308 wrote:
he is worth a lottery pick which is what he was.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers are not gonna contend for championships with a little more chemistry and a couple more role players. They need another star. Plain and simple. There are no free agents we can sign until 07 (more likely 08 ), and we'd have to gut the entire team to get a premier one. Contrary to the delusions of most LG posters here, we're not gonna get superstar for a package of Luke, Cook, Devean, Sasha, garbage, contracts, high picks, etc. Trading Odom is not gonna get it done either. It's all Bynum. The dynasty rests on Bynum. Either he turns into a superstar within the next year or two or we trade his potential now for an allstar. That's it. That's the bottom line. I love Andrew and ideally, he blossoms next season, but that is such a longshot. If you're in the keep Andrew camp, you're banking on a longshot a few years from now, rather than wanting to give Kobe a certified all-star NOW.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
The Lakers are not gonna contend for championships with a little more chemistry and a couple more role players. They need another star. Plain and simple. There are no free agents we can sign until 07 (more likely 08 ), and we'd have to gut the entire team to get a premier one. Contrary to the delusions of most LG posters here, we're not gonna get superstar for a package of Luke, Cook, Devean, Sasha, garbage, contracts, high picks, etc. Trading Odom is not gonna get it done either. It's all Bynum. The dynasty rests on Bynum. Either he turns into a superstar within the next year or two or we trade his potential now for an allstar. That's it. That's the bottom line. I love Andrew and ideally, he blossoms next season, but that is such a longshot. If you're in the keep Andrew camp, you're banking on a longshot a few years from now, rather than wanting to give Kobe a certified all-star NOW.

I'm definitely in the Bynum camp and I think Kobe will be able to get another title on Bynums watch. I definitely don't want to see this team gutted again for at least a decade. Teams the follow the pattern of gut & buy are in an ongoing pattern of rebuild. Teams that stick with cores and build upon them flourish in the longhaul. See Detroit & San Antonio. They've hung onto their core and added - not traded like there was no tomorrow in hopes of instant gratification. And I don't buy into this they need another SUPERSTAR mentality. Who are Detroits two superstars? They've got 5 guys who are stars because they play well together and work at it. Not surprisingly, they've been basically the same team for 4 years now and are still at the top because they DON"T keep trading away pieces in hopes of instant gratification. Same for San Antonio. Building requires patience and pays off in the end. Cutting and running has NEVER worked...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think we could get for Bynum?

pjiddy wrote:
This is a thread for trade speculation, not outrageous Homer fables like "Bynum is Untouchable!" and "Bynum will be Shaq/Hakeem/Kareem/MJ/Jesus combined in 8-10 seasons..." Consider those opinions voiced. As for us pragmatists, we're being more realistic: We have maybe a 2-3 year window of Prime Kobe to capitalize on and Bynum is probably our best shot at landing an All-star. I thought Pau Gasol would be a pretty good coup, though opinion was obviously divided on that thread. Rashard Lewis I think we could probably get in a trade (Seattle knows they're gonna lose him anyway). Either one of those guys I think would be great with Kobe, Odom, Kwame, and Mihm. Anyway, thoughts?
With a salary of less than $2mil, there are no All-Stars that could be traded for him

His contract is so small that it would be insignificant even as a throw in for any trade for an All-Star. It's that simple, his potential alone if worth FAR more than his salary, so any trade would have to include at least one of the Lakers you named... "Odom, Kwame, and Mihm"...

Simply put, Bynum would be totally wasted in any trade scenario you could come up with, and would be better kept until AT LEAST his option year to use in a sign and trade deal. I'd rather use a couple of 1st round picks as trade toss-ins.

It makes no economic sense to trade Bynum now!
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
No one in the league is untouchable. We traded away the most dominant center of all-time (for 35 cents on the dollar), but we won't give up an unproven question mark?

I didn't know we traded Bill Russell , Wilt Chambrlain or Hakeem the Dream...
Living in the past is a popular passtime for some LGers. We traded an out of shape, disgruntled, short-timer for cap-space and an eye to the future. Even IF you accept the arguement that Shaq was "the most dominant center of all-time", the key word is WAS, Shaq's time had passed. This fact was not lost on Dr. Buss and the Laker management, and it's time for the Laker Nation to relegate the past to the past and get over it!
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
So the idea is to gut the team to get Kobe some help? That would mean next season would be the season of geling together (Every Superstar needs it). Then 2007/2008 to become contenders. If we are to believe that there is only a 3 to 4 year window of Kobe's prime as suggested :roll: then that would mean Kobe would have a chance to win a max of 2 titles before his prime magically expires. Then where do these wonderfully foresighted people see the organisation being? In rebuilding mode with an over the hill former superstar and starting from scratch again?? Oh wait....Maybe Kobe get's traded at that point for a young superstar? I just can't figure the shortsigtedness of some. Keeping Bynum isn't just about maximizing Kobes prime. This is an organisation that wants to be well placed for IT's future, not just the future of ONE of it's players. The Lakers won championships before Kobe (11 of em) and they'd like to be in a position to win some after he's long and gone. Unlike Chicago with Jordan, the Bulls have always sucked - and now they suck again because they put all their eggs in one basket. Boggles the mind how so many here want to see the Lakers follow that blueprint. And if you really think Kobe/Gasol yeilds more titles than Kobe/Shaq in 7 years then I've one thing to say: Pass it on over here bruddah. I wanna take a toke too....

You're not considering what shouldering a mediocre team that has to fight for an 8th spot every year will do to a superstar. Pair Kobe up with someone now and the winning can possibly prolong his career. But keep him with the present mix of modestly talented players that he has to play 40 something minutes and score 40-something pts EVERY NIGHT just to have a shot at the 8th spot and get blown out by the Spurs in the first round and it won't matter if Bynum starts to blossom 5 years from now. Kobe will be fried.
If that contention is even REMOTELY realistic, why would anybody even consider trading expiring contracts for Kevin (I'm working my butt off night in and night out, but not winning crap) Garnett, who by YOUR OWN MEASURE has to be WAY beyond FRIED by now. He hasn't come within a lightyear of the Larry O'Brien!

AND, what you are not considering is how Kobe feels about the situation! He does get frustrated after games like the Spurs, but he's relishing the process of leading a group of young enthusiastic guys. There is also all of that "Kobe can't win without Shaq" or Kobe can't lead his team to a title crap that you can bet Kobe would love to shut down like a rabid SacTown cow-bell ringing crowd in a WC final sweep of the Queens.

Kobe doesn't need KG, Amare or LBJ, he just needs a passionate group of overachievers to buy into the program, you seriously underestimate Kobe's talents if you think he needs a sidekick of KG's caliber to contend, really! He also knew what he was signing up for, and what did he do? He's worked himself into the best shape of his career, sucked it up to inspire his new teammates. Do you ever see Kobe complaining about having to do too much?

It iis only a bunch of spoiled "fans" who think that Kobe's not OK with waiting and working for 3-4 seasons to shut up the haters. Enjoy the ride!
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Unless you're getting KG, you don't move a 7'1" 18-year-old with good footwork and the seeming desire to work hard to get better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject:

[quote=]
kups wrote:
I'll be fine with it if Bynum can get us a young big man (Dwight Howard) or a young PG (Chris Paul/Kirk Hinrich) + decent big.

riiiiight...cause Bynum can get us those people. Lets put it this way, Bynum plus Odom would only get us Kirk Hinrich and others from the bulls....bynum straight up for kirk wouldnt even work[/quote]

I'd like to clarify that I wouldn't be in favor of moving Bynum. I really believe in this kid's potential to be our defensive anchor down the line. My bad that I didn't make that clear.

I was simply stating my preferences on the type of players that I'd like to get back in the event that we do trade him. So I'm leaning towards getting back a young impact big or a young impact PG + decent big, who are futher along in their devt. I know it wont work straight up (but w/ fillers it will) , again just saying what type of player I'd prefer.
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
Unless you're getting KG, you don't move a 7'1" 18-year-old with good footwork and the seeming desire to work hard to get better.

And unless the GM is an idiot, you don't trade any stud bigmen in their prime for an 18 year old unproven center buried on the bench, despite all that "potential."

The Bulls did that with Elton Brand and Chandler. I think they regret it now.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

And unless the GM is an idiot, you don't trade any stud bigmen in their prime for an 18 year old unproven center buried on the bench, despite all that "potential."

Man, that move sure did hurt the Bulls. Brand wasn't even a "potential" guy, he was already a 20/10 guy and not yet even in his prime - he's just hitting that now. That move alone killed the Bulls.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
sodapoppenski wrote:
NestT wrote:
A Dynasty.

According to all reports he is untouchable.

Untrue.

He was reported to be part of our offer before the deadline to Minny for
KG.

Actually, there were plenty of reports to the contrary, and most of the reports coming from everywhere are that Bynum is untouchable and the Lakers will not move him. The most recent report - and it's somewhere on this site - is that Minny asked for Odom, Mihm or Brown (can't remember which), Bynum and some picks, and the Lakers said NO. But really, who knows the truth. The reality is we don't know what has or hasn't been offered. We only know discussions were had.

Personally, I wouldn't move him but it's not my call.

I've heard the contrasting reports too.

But NestT said "according to all reports."

I was just putting it out there...

I'd give LO, Bynum and this Miami's 1st for KG without a blink.

Again, love the kid, but his prime starts once Kobe's is over.

KG's in the middle of his prime right now, Kobe in the beginning of his.

Pair them up with Phil at the helm, and either Mihm or LO still on the roster
and you've got a mean squad for years.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

Man, that move sure did hurt the Bulls. Brand wasn't even a "potential" guy, he was already a 20/10 guy and not yet even in his prime - he's just hitting that now. That move alone killed the Bulls.

Exactly, which is part of the reason why I found the Gasol thread a bit absurd. But yet, if there's ever any PF or C out there who is younger than 30 and nearly gets 20-10, I'd welcome 50+ wins and the playoffs without a problem.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Socks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

Exactly, which is part of the reason why I found the Gasol thread a bit absurd. But yet, if there's ever any PF or C out there who is younger than 30 and nearly gets 20-10, I'd welcome 50+ wins and the playoffs without a problem.

Yeah, but we all know that the possibility of getting 20 & 10 three years from now is a lot better than actually getting 20 & 10 now, and for the forseeable future.

Everyone sees the logic in that.

:roll:
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
bounty wrote:
Luke wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
No one in the league is untouchable. We traded away the most dominant center of all-time (for 35 cents on the dollar), but we won't give up an unproven question mark?

Yea, we traded a center who has more rings than 2 of those guys

Horry has 6 more rings than Malone. Is he better than Karl too?

And Travis Knight?

Also, by this logic, Glen Rice is a better sharpshooter than Reggie Miller.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think we could get for Bynum?

re4ee wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
This is a thread for trade speculation, not outrageous Homer fables like "Bynum is Untouchable!" and "Bynum will be Shaq/Hakeem/Kareem/MJ/Jesus combined in 8-10 seasons..." Consider those opinions voiced. As for us pragmatists, we're being more realistic: We have maybe a 2-3 year window of Prime Kobe to capitalize on and Bynum is probably our best shot at landing an All-star. I thought Pau Gasol would be a pretty good coup, though opinion was obviously divided on that thread. Rashard Lewis I think we could probably get in a trade (Seattle knows they're gonna lose him anyway). Either one of those guys I think would be great with Kobe, Odom, Kwame, and Mihm. Anyway, thoughts?
With a salary of less than $2mil, there are no All-Stars that could be traded for him

His contract is so small that it would be insignificant even as a throw in for any trade for an All-Star. It's that simple, his potential alone if worth FAR more than his salary, so any trade would have to include at least one of the Lakers you named... "Odom, Kwame, and Mihm"...

Simply put, Bynum would be totally wasted in any trade scenario you could come up with, and would be better kept until AT LEAST his option year to use in a sign and trade deal. I'd rather use a couple of 1st round picks as trade toss-ins.

It makes no economic sense to trade Bynum now!

Bynum would obviously be packaged off with throw-ins and expiring k's or maybe paired up with Mihm/Kwame or even Odom. This should've been obvious. Use your noggin. Next time I write a thread like this, I'll be sure to include every little detail like what plane Bynum would take to his new city and whether there would be a connecting flight.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

If that contention is even REMOTELY realistic, why would anybody even consider trading expiring contracts for Kevin (I'm working my butt off night in and night out, but not winning crap) Garnett, who by YOUR OWN MEASURE has to be WAY beyond FRIED by now. He hasn't come within a lightyear of the Larry O'Brien!

AND, what you are not considering is how Kobe feels about the situation! He does get frustrated after games like the Spurs, but he's relishing the process of leading a group of young enthusiastic guys. There is also all of that "Kobe can't win without Shaq" or Kobe can't lead his team to a title crap that you can bet Kobe would love to shut down like a rabid SacTown cow-bell ringing crowd in a WC final sweep of the Queens.

Kobe doesn't need KG, Amare or LBJ, he just needs a passionate group of overachievers to buy into the program, you seriously underestimate Kobe's talents if you think he needs a sidekick of KG's caliber to contend, really! He also knew what he was signing up for, and what did he do? He's worked himself into the best shape of his career, sucked it up to inspire his new teammates. Do you ever see Kobe complaining about having to do too much?

It iis only a bunch of spoiled "fans" who think that Kobe's not OK with waiting and working for 3-4 seasons to shut up the haters. Enjoy the ride!

Thanks for telling us how Kobe feels. You probably know.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:

TG711 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
bounty wrote:
Luke wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

And Travis Knight?

Don't forget John Salley. He must be one of the all-time greats, since he led multiple teams to titles!
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:

TG711 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
bounty wrote:
Luke wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

And Travis Knight?

I hope you are not trying to say that the difference in Rice and Miller's respective shooting abilities was as big as the talent level chasm between Knight and Malone. Rice, in his prime, would stroke it every bit as good as Reggie. Maybe better. Reggie couldn't play the post like a younger Rice either. If Rice were not injury plagued, he would have likely left a legacy similar to Reggie's. You better watch a game or check out a stat book some time.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Bynum for O'neal, Peja, and Sarunas
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
Bynum for O'neal, Peja, and Sarunas

Hmmmmmm Nope. Still not going for it...
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
TG711 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
bounty wrote:
Luke wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

And Travis Knight?

I hope you are not trying to say that the difference in Rice and Miller's respective shooting abilities was as big as the talent level chasm between Knight and Malone. Rice, in his prime, would stroke it every bit as good as Reggie. Maybe better. Reggie couldn't play the post like a younger Rice either. If Rice were not injury plagued, he would have likely left a legacy similar to Reggie's. You better watch a game or check out a stat book some time.

I wouldn't say Reggie was the superior shooter, but Reggie was WAY more clutch than Rice. Reggie lead his team deep into the playoffs (and to a championship series) and was one of the few guys who could flat out kill the entire Madison Square Garden back when it was at its atmospheric peak and when they had a respectable team. Man, that seems like geological eras ago.
threetimechamps
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

eldrunko714 wrote:
Andrew Bynum, Chris Mihm, and Brian Cook for Jermiane Oneil.

Heck nooooooooooo that guy never is always injured
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: