Who can stop Kobe's current 40 pt streak?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Who can stop Kobe's current 40 pt streak?

the answer is: *drumroll*.... Phil Jackson

Quote:
JIf Lakers coach Phil Jackson has his way, two things will happen for Kobe Bryant down the stretch in these last 20 games.

Jackson will try to cut Bryant's minutes and slow the recent 40-point outbursts from his All-Star guard.

Bryant is averaging 40.8 minutes per game, sixth most in the NBA.

"We want to get him into that 36-minute mark somewhere going down the stretch here," Jackson said.

Bryant didn't practice Thursday. He stood against a basket standard and was the score-keeper of a spirited three-on-three game.

In his last five games, he has played less than 40 minutes just once, going 36:10 against Detroit.

"It's always good to have more rest, in the perfect-case scenario," Bryant said. "But I'm willing to do whatever it takes."

For the fourth straight game, Bryant scored 40 points or more.

He scored 40-plus points in five consecutive games earlier this season and has done so 19 times this season.

His record for consecutive 40 points or more in a game is nine, accomplished during the 2002-03 season.

Bryant's latest run hasn't drawn much attention.

"Well, we want him to have less attention anyway, because we think you guys are the ones that inspired him to try and go out and have a 40-point night," Jackson cracked. "It just puts it in his head, 'Oh, I've got to get 40 again tonight.' I'm going to take him out early this next game so that he doesn't."

LINK

is Phil joking here? [middle of the bottom part of the quote mentions that 'Jackson cracked ] I'm thinking that it more than likely has to do with primarily reducing Kobe's minutes; so he'll be rested come time for playoffs (while giving other players PT to improve the depth of the team), than to purposely end a scoring streak. I'm guessing the minutes that will have Kobe riding the pine would be both the end of the 1st/start of the 2nd; and the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th. ; so that Kobe's there at the critical junctures of the game. But, Phil's decision here raises a few questions:

* Is reducing Kobe's minutes in a key stretch of the season a good idea? (sure, Kobe would be more rested for the playoffs... but that's if we make them by winning our games)

* Is it a good idea for a coach to let the media know he's purposely ending his star player's scoring streak? (thankfully, the Kobe/Phil getting along sub-plot has been a complete non-factor from the get-go this season, but you still gotta wonder how Kobe feels about this)

* Lakers are 3-1 over the last 4 where Kobe's scored 40+. Why change the formula (ie: if it ain't broken, don't fix it?)

* Will the reduction of Kobe's minutes affect his game? (fresher legs on a nightly basis could lead to increased efficiency... or the desire to get his scoring done in less time could lead to a decrease in assists....)

* Is this the end of #8's current 40+ game streak? (I'm pretty sure he can score more than 40 in 36 minutes )
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:

I don't like this...at all.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:

I'm sure it is all about reducing Kobe's minutes. It is a long season, and both Kobe and Lamar have been in most games for a change. They both are playing alot of minutes this season. Phil mentioned after the NO game that he shouldn't be playing them 40+ minutes every game.
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Kobe should play 40 minutes, where not the "2000" Lakers for godsake!
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

They should be nervous. The Lakers are still in a place where Kobe has to score 40 in order for them to even have a shot at winning a game. That's gonna make a coach feel uneasy. Being able to reduce Kobe's minutes means they're getting valuable production out of other places. It's a nice goal, but it's not gonna happen this year. They lose so much when he's not on the floor.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Who can stop Kobe's current 40 pt streak?

cmonkee wrote:
* Is this the end of #8's current 40+ game streak? (I'm pretty sure he can score more than 40 in 36 minutes )
He HAS had a 36 minute game with 62!
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:

Jackson just can't divorce himself from his agita every time he realizes that it's Kobe's genius and not his that is carrying this team.

I'm all for getting Kobe as much rest as possible, but let's be serious here.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:

the spurs can do it...
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:

It's just PJ being PJ. He's taking a backhanded jab at others on the team telling them they need to step up because he wants to sit Kobe. He's making fun of the media and the attention they give Kobe's scoring. And at the same time, he's probably serious about wanting to give him some rest.

But make no mistake, PJ will do what he needs to in order to make the playoffs. If that means Kobe plays 48, he'll play 48. If that means Kobe needs to score 40+, he'll score 40+.
showtime1308
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Phils an idiot. He always tries to hold Kobe down. Did Mj have to put up with this garbage?
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Phil is THE definition of narcisistic. He actually believes that he's in control here. Go ahead Phil and sit Kobe. Let Lamar or Smush or Sasha carry more of the load. You're the boss Phil, you know best. :roll:
Supa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

This may actually motivate Kobe.
Agar5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

It's funny that the in the last 5 games he's only played less than 40 minutes in one of them: Detroit. That was because he was in foul trouble early and had to be taken out of the game. I doubt he will purposely take him out of the game if it is close just to get him under 40 minutes.
jayel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:

bowen

with lots of help from the officials of course
Irishladdie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Its all about limiting fatigue and injuries with Phil. He knows if Kobe goes down, they are done. I agree with the others that said He wants more production from the rest of the team. I expect Kobe to go off tonight early. You noticed Phils new gameplan is too let Kobe go off early. They went to him consistently against NO. They wanted that win bad. Afterword Phil said he continually went to Kobe and knew he would eventually find his rhythm and the shots would start falling. I think Phil knows that this is where you pull out the best chanece to win. He wants to rest Kobe but he won't. His best chance to win every game is to get Kobe flowing, once that happens we usually win. Phil is making the calls from the sideline for almost everyplay in the NO game. He wanted that win bad and he went to Kobe for the whole game even though he wasn't making shots. That shows that Phil has total trust in Kobe, and his Post game comments backs that up.
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

I think there are many very good comments above......

I have been mentioning to friends and family for quite sometime now that PJAX seems to have this thing that if Kobe does well,but not out of this World"Kobewell",Pjax gets more credit as a coach for any of the positives for the team,and it's not just Kobe that brings us the "W's"......

For Gods sake talk about the potential holes this team can dig for itself in the 12 minutes of Kobe rest time?

If possible,when we have big enough leads at the end of games,I understand 100%.....But not in the middle of a heated playoff run,what the hell is he talking about? Rest him sure,but a good 6 to 8 a night Max.....This is the stretch run,it's now or never,it's major playing time if nothing else....

If we were the lakeshow of the past with a comfortable lead,and better overall supporting cast,I can understand 36 minutes a game....But this team needs Kobe in as much as possible,period!

A few years ago when Kobe went off on that 14 or so 42+ game streak,we were 11-3 or so...... This season too,when Kobe was going crazy for 19 games we played from December 12th to january 22nd (the 22nd was the 81 point explosion against the mavs) our best basketball,(12 and 7 record during this streak)........ Kobe averaged 42 minutes a game and scored 786 points in that 19 games (a 41.4 average)it's a fact he needs to be doing his thing for this team to have any chance......

Pjax wants the coaching to be half the reason for success,not this elite player alone....... I just get this feeling,I am probably wrong,but after there history,and then this joke of an idea,I really do wonder.......

Go Kobe in full strike mode......And when Bynum grows up and we get that "Dream 07' Fa,than we can adjust the Kobe attack mode some....
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Only Kobe!!
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

He was joking about purposely taking him out so he doesn't get 40, but not joking about wanting to get Kobe more rest (i.e. wanting others to handle their business a little more). Some of you act like you're new to The Phil Show.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: