The Game starts and ends with LO

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hisairness#8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: The Game starts and ends with LO

After watching this team throughout the season I see the start of a great duo in Kobe and Lamar. Kobe has said that he needs Lamar to help him get shots Lamar has been told to be more aggressive. We have to give them time to gel in the system that is why I think Lamar won't be traded in the offseason.
The game start and ends with lamar because we all know Kobe is the best closer in the game today but Lamar is still trying to find himself in the system. I've seen a change in Lamar the last few weeks and he looks like he's turning a corner in his development and in the final games of the season I think Lamar is going to show that he deserves to have the nick name THE GOODS because he is going to prove that he can play with the great Kobe Bryant.
We have all seen what happens when Lamar gets into a good rhythm in the first half it spreads to all the other players around him. Going into the home stretch and our playoff run the games won't depend on Kobe(we never need to worry about Kobe) it's going to depend on Lamar and I think he is ready.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

I agree. He is just too darn inconsistent! He's had games when he looked like the best player on the floor (yep, better than Kobe). Rebounds? Check. Assists? Check. Blind side blocked shots? Check. Clutch scoring? Check. I mean, what can't this guy do? After a good game, then he goes out and stinks up the joint. It appears that when he is doing his thing (overall floor game) and is clicking, we look like contenders. It also seems like our role players' play elevates too.

I hope that he is turning the corner. I hope he develops that killer instinct that Kobe has, and that MJ/Pip had (more specifically Pip). When he does, look out. I was on the bandwagon to trade him for Artest, but slowly Odom is changing my mind. Now if he can use his length on defense...

Go Lakers!
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

If it starts with LO, then I predict it ends with a SS. Yes, we need him, but to beat the Spurs, you need at least 4 people to have better than average games.
hisairness#8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

I just wish we could have had LO back in the Shaq and Kobe days a guy who was unselfish but could provide scoring and rebounding without even trying
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
I agree. He is just too darn inconsistent! He's had games when he looked like the best player on the floor (yep, better than Kobe). Rebounds? Check. Assists? Check. Blind side blocked shots? Check. Clutch scoring? Check. I mean, what can't this guy do? After a good game, then he goes out and stinks up the joint. It appears that when he is doing his thing (overall floor game) and is clicking, we look like contenders. It also seems like our role players' play elevates too.

I hope that he is turning the corner. I hope he develops that killer instinct that Kobe has, and that MJ/Pip had (more specifically Pip). When he does, look out. I was on the bandwagon to trade him for Artest, but slowly Odom is changing my mind. Now if he can use his length on defense...

Go Lakers!

While i agree with everything u said Odom will never develope Kobes killer instinct. I dont think thats something u can develop i think your born with it or without. Its more of a personality trait.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:

^^But wasn't Pippen inconsistent? Once he turned the corner they started kicking Detroits arse. I think MJ rubbed off on him. I don't think Pip was always a killer.

BTW, I am glad he was an old fart in 2000. Otherwise WCF might have been different.

LO is like what 25? He will be fine...
hisairness#8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:

THE_BUTLER_DID_IT wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

Go Lakers!

While i agree with everything u said Odom will never develope Kobes killer instinct. I dont think thats something u can develop i think your born with it or without. Its more of a personality trait.

Lamar has shown a killer instinct in the last few games and that is why I think he's turning a corner. He still needs time to learn when to turn it on and the Detroit game proves when he has it on he's unstopable
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
^^But wasn't Pippen inconsistent? Once he turned the corner they started kicking Detroits arse. I think MJ rubbed off on him. I don't think Pip was always a killer.

BTW, I am glad he was an old fart in 2000. Otherwise WCF might have been different.

LO is like what 25? He will be fine...

Pippen did a lot of things great. He was consistent both offensively and defensively which was his biggest strength. But he was never a killer.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

^^True, but are you talking about offensively? I'm not. I talking being able to shut your man down and fill up the stat sheets. It was his play on Magic ( ) that cost us a ring back in the day. That is what I am talking about. If LO can have that type of impact on a game, we will be set.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
^^True, but are you talking about offensively? I'm not. I talking being able to shut your man down and fill up the stat sheets. It was his play on Magic ( ) that cost us a ring back in the day. That is what I am talking about. If LO can have that type of impact on a game, we will be set.

Thing about it is, by Pippen's 3rd or 4th year, he had already revealed that tenacity and was rapidly ascending into one of the game's best. LO's 7 years in the game. He's still stuck on trying to play more consistent game to game much less dominating on either end of the court. I can't believe Lamar will be anything having to do with being a killer until he shows a willingness/ability to do the same things night after night. I'm sick of the whole 'if' talk with Lamar. We've known since his college days he can do big things. It's time to put up or shut up, now.
hisairness#8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

Thing about it is, by Pippen's 3rd or 4th year, he had already revealed that tenacity and was rapidly ascending into one of the game's best. LO's 7 years in the game. He's still stuck on trying to play more consistent game to game much less dominating on either end of the court. I can't believe Lamar will be anything having to do with being a killer until he shows a willingness/ability to do the same things night after night. I'm sick of the whole 'if' talk with Lamar. We've known since his college days he can do big things. It's time to put up or shut up, now.

Yes Lamar has been in the league for 7 years but remember something his career has been tainted from the very start. He got drafted by the Clips, he was suspended 2 times for breaking the drug rules he had a lot of injuries when he was with the clips and is breakout year was in Miami playing in a system that had him in the post. Lamar has been inconsistent but he is a player that is trying to find himself in this system and as of late he has been doing better. You can't compare him pip until he's fully comfortable in his role.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

Kobe agrees with you. if you heard his post game comments regarding LO his words were:
Potential
Patience
when he realizes
could be
figure it out
can he put it all together
This is all your are saying IMO. Pip was challenged by MJ's greatness. he seemed to embrace all the pressure, work ethics that came along with it. This is LO's 2nd year with Kobe and he still can only SOMETIMES find his niche. 7yr in the league.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:

hisairness#8 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

Yes Lamar has been in the league for 7 years but remember something his career has been tainted from the very start. He got drafted by the Clips, he was suspended 2 times for breaking the drug rules he had a lot of injuries when he was with the clips and is breakout year was in Miami playing in a system that had him in the post. Lamar has been inconsistent but he is a player that is trying to find himself in this system and as of late he has been doing better. You can't compare him pip until he's fully comfortable in his role.

His career wasn't tainted by some outside entity. He tainted his own career. Fact is, he's shown a career affliction for not being able to stay focused. And sure, he had alot of injuries, but he was also doggin it a lot his last couple years with the Clips. Sure it was Clips and they sucked, but you have to be driven within yourself regardless of your situation. Lamar doesn't have to have his circumstance be perfect in order for him to be great. He has all the talent in the world, but he's like a old stick shift with a bad starter....you have to constantly pop his clutch in order to get him going.
Kobina returns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

I have faith Lamar is going to get better. Maybe not this year, but possibly next season or further along the road. He's still young. It's all about him working hard in the offseason. Kobe worked out last offseason and look where it got him. I think Lamar and Kobe should work out together this years offseason. It could do wonders for Lamar.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

1 1/2 with kobe, and only a few months with Jackson, and Kobe. Judgements made earlier were premature...That is what I was trying to tell you. That dude can play. It has been said to death that it takes time to "shine in the tri"

His attitude, and work ethic have been confused with his ability to grasp the concepts of a very difficult system, and a very difficult position within the system while working with individuals who were equally confused...

This team has managed to stay at, and periodically above 500 all season with the help of a gifted athlete in Kobe Bryant, and as much as a bunch of kids learning could contribute. That in itself says a lot considering the confusions, and easily expected mistakes that were inevitable.

This team has always just needed time. Blowing it up with trades would have only set back the process, and I'm so glad that it did'nt happen, or I can promise everybody in here that the those same "juvinille growing pains" that have already taken place would have continued anew...
boricua
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

[quote="hoopschick29"]
Texas_Pete wrote:

Thing about it is, by Pippen's 3rd or 4th year, he had already revealed that tenacity and was rapidly ascending into one of the game's best. LO's 7 years in the game. He's still stuck on trying to play more consistent game to game much less dominating on either end of the court.

I have to agree with that statement
The Kings are unbeaten in 10 home games since Artest's arrival, beating opponents by an average of 16 points per game. The Kings have won 14 of their last 18 overall, with their opponents' scoring average and shooting percentages all dropping sharply.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

hisairness#8 wrote:
THE_BUTLER_DID_IT wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

Go Lakers!

Lamar has shown a killer instinct in the last few games and that is why I think he's turning a corner. He still needs time to learn when to turn it on and the Detroit game proves when he has it on he's unstopable

forget the detroit the war with KG last year showed how unstoppable he can be
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

The game doesn't begin and end with LO... it begins and ends with defense. The Lakers scored enough to beat San Antonio, but they didn't play enough defense.

In their last five losses, the Lakers have scored enough to win (expect against the Clippers). They've scored 110, 111, 93 and 96 points... There have been a few losses when the Lakers weren't even close, but for the most part they score enough.

As for LO, he's scored less than 10 points, 20 times this season... in those games the Lakers have averaged 99.2 points (above their season average) and are 11-9 - a better winning percentage than they have now... The key for Lamar is to play an all-around game + for the team to play good defense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
doughboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
The game doesn't begin and end with LO... it begins and ends with defense. The Lakers scored enough to beat San Antonio, but they didn't play enough defense.

In their last five losses, the Lakers have scored enough to win (expect against the Clippers). They've scored 110, 111, 93 and 96 points... There have been a few losses when the Lakers weren't even close, but for the most part they score enough.

As for LO, he's scored less than 10 points, 20 times this season... in those games the Lakers have averaged 99.2 points (above their season average) and are 11-9 - a better winning percentage than they have now... The key for Lamar is to play an all-around game + for the team to play good defense.

I Agree.............
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:

Thanks Mike, its nice to see someone point out what should be obvious. If the lakers were a top 10 defensive team they would be a much higher seed. I think those are the areas that need to be addressed ahead of adding more scoring. Stop penetration, help better down low, and get every defensive board.
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Ditto. Kobe is consistent and is as good as he can be. The others other than Lamar are not starter talent or just scrubs . Lamar has talent but he is not consistent. Lakers point differential varies around +1.4-1.5. Lamar can easily add +4 points to the differential (ie:raise his PPG of 14 to 18ppg) to put the lakers up to elite status- check Yahoo stats to see teams with a 6 point differential and they are the 5 elite teams at the top of the food chain.

Conversely, Lamar has the talent, athletism, and length to hold his opposing player to 2 points or more below their PPG in which case, he only has to average 16 ppg for lakers to be elite . This is why lamar is frustrating- he only has to tweak his game up a little for the Lakers to be contenders. This is why my posts critisize him a lot. I woudn't waste my time with anyone else because othe than Kobe, they are irrelevant and non-factors because they cannot change what they are due to lack of athletiscm (Walton, Sasha), lack of strength (Mihm), lack of B Ball IQ (George, Kwame) or lack of basic skill (Kwame). Actually if he tweaked his game up a little, he'd be Pippen- check Pippen's stats.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

I can't disagree with this statement HoopsChick. I will point out that the system in Miami was tailor made for him and there was no inconsistency at all. He really seems to be learning the tri and his inconsistencies are falling off.

The guy really isn't and won't be a scorer like Pippen, but he sure is a much better rebounder. He is like a mix between Pippen / Rodman. The team will have to find the scoring elsewhere (Jim Jackson may be able to help).

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

LO's never had a great coach, until now.

Pippen started with Collins and truly grew into the player he was with Phil.

Can we all imagine how Kobe would be under Del Harris instead of Phil?
Stylistic Stylez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

we won't last long in the playoffs if odom doesnt do what he's been doing the past couple games...most notably against hornets

Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

LO's never had a great coach, until now.

Pippen started with Collins and truly grew into the player he was with Phil.

Can we all imagine how Kobe would be under Del Harris instead of Phil?

You've got to be kidding me. Are you suggesting Kobe would be Lamar Odom if not for Phil?? From the day Kobe came into the league, he was self-motivated, driven, ambitious almost to a fault. No coach had anything to do with that. Would he be the same player under any other coach but Phil?? Probably not. But focus, energy and drive have NEVER been an issue for Kobe Bryant. Never have we wondered if Kobe was going to bring it when he came into a game. Not from being 17 years old in Summer League, and not now.

A coach can only build up what's already there. You can't put desire in a player that doesn't have any. You can't make a player want something they don't want for themselves. Phil didn't make Kobe want to be great. Kobe's wanted that since the moment he decided basketball was what he wanted to do. And believe me, Phil is still trying to figure Lamar out. He's poking, he proding, he's trying to find that in Lamar that wants to be great. But that's down the road. He's still trying to get Lamar to the point where he brings the same energy and focus on a nightly basis.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: