Best way,s to improve the next 2 years

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Best way,s to improve the next 2 years

We already improved from last year. Looks like we're back in the playoffs from now on. That'll mean are draft picks are a lot lower but we could still land some useful people. There seem to be plenty of PG's and C's we could pick up in the free agent market the next couple of years. LAbron is even a possibility in 07. From what you see if you were the owner of the Lakers where would you start and what would you be trying to put together. We just came off two nice games against the league's best, Detroit and San Antonio, I might add. Looks like things are starting to work out. It might be that we just need another star Center like Big Ben or Magloire. Where would you look to be making improvements on this team or would you just be picking up anything you could?
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject:

I think one possibilty that's there is bringing back the fast break Lakers. Our big guys are young and I think the PG's that are going to be available would help make us a better fast break team. Plus JMag's got wheels. I don't know about Big Ben though.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Best way,s to improve the next 2 years

Odom2Kobe2Kwame wrote:
We already improved from last year. Looks like we're back in the playoffs from now on. That'll mean are draft picks are a lot lower but we could still land some useful people. There seem to be plenty of PG's and C's we could pick up in the free agent market the next couple of years. LAbron is even a possibility in 07. From what you see if you were the owner of the Lakers where would you start and what would you be trying to put together. We just came off two nice games against the league's best, Detroit and San Antonio, I might add. Looks like things are starting to work out. It might be that we just need another star Center like Big Ben or Magloire. Where would you look to be making improvements on this team or would you just be picking up anything you could?

Well, that 'picking up anything you could' thing doesn't really work. Look at the Knicks. Building a championship franchise isn't as easy as just trying to get the best players available. You need to look at your strenghts and fit the puzzle pieces in around them. You also have to look at your resources for landing the players that will complete your team. Right now the Lakers strengths are Kobe and the coaching staff. LO IMO compliments Kobe's game well so barring an unexpected windfall in the guise of, say, KG or Bosh, which might require us extending our resources and using LO for barter, we should add him as one of our building blocks. Therefore, we should be looking to add some solid role players in the next couple of years which would probably include another scoring threat and maybe a good low-post defender. We have some good young talent that may develop into those roles but we should always be looking. If there was any way we could swing a deal for Boozer and still keep LO that might be the single best move we could make. Not sure how that would work but then I ain't the GM either.
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Best way,s to improve the next 2 years

ElginBaylor wrote:
Well, that 'picking up anything you could' thing doesn't really work. Look at the Knicks. Building a championship franchise isn't as easy as just trying to get the best players available. You need to look at your strenghts and fit the puzzle pieces in around them. You also have to look at your resources for landing the players that will complete your team. Right now the Lakers strengths are Kobe and the coaching staff. LO IMO compliments Kobe's game well so barring an unexpected windfall in the guise of, say, KG or Bosh, which might require us extending our resources and using LO for barter, we should add him as one of our building blocks. Therefore, we should be looking to add some solid role players in the next couple of years which would probably include another scoring threat and maybe a good low-post defender. We have some good young talent that may develop into those roles but we should always be looking. If there was any way we could swing a deal for Boozer and still keep LO that might be the single best move we could make. Not sure how that would work but then I ain't the GM either.

The Knicks are the extreme case of picking up anything you can. Also they had nothing going at all before they started picking up all those guys.

I'm taking that you consider the PF position the weakest. Out of Turiaf, Kwame, and Cook who do you see with the Lakers the next couple years and beyond. Slava's already been let go.

Scoring help could almost come at any position. Picking up what we could probably wouldn't hurt us there. I think PG and C would be the best two positions to pick up a scorer at. Either would help Kobe a lot.

As far as the Knicks go as an example I don't think we should just be waiting to pick up a star to solve all our problems. We should be working out our Kincks along the way. Knicks=Kincks
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:

I hope to see Turiaf as a Laker for quite awhile. He may never be a superstar but he's exactly the kind of guy you want coming in off the bench. Kwame and Cook could still both develop into decent players but if we part ways and use them as a means to upgrade the team then I won't be cryin' in my beer.

As I mentioned, I think Boozer would be the most realistic target. R Lewis would be a bit more of a stretch but I would be ecsatic to see him in the P&G.

As for the 5 spot, I think Mihm is servicable with the hope that Bynum will be able to step in in a couple of years and give us some solidity there for years to come.
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
I hope to see Turiaf as a Laker for quite awhile. He may never be a superstar but he's exactly the kind of guy you want coming in off the bench. Kwame and Cook could still both develop into decent players but if we part ways and use them as a means to upgrade the team then I won't be cryin' in my beer.

As I mentioned, I think Boozer would be the most realistic target. R Lewis would be a bit more of a stretch but I would be ecsatic to see him in the P&G.

As for the 5 spot, I think Mihm is servicable with the hope that Bynum will be able to step in in a couple of years and give us some solidity there for years to come.

I like picking up Jim Jackson this late in the season. As far as the season goes we were strong enough down low with Cook/Kwame/Turiaf and Mihm/Bynum to let Slava go and still needing something as far as backing Kobe up and helping with scoring. At 35 JJ gives me the feeling they're trying to see where this team is headed and trying to give it a chance.

Turiaf and Bynum are going to be good a couple years from now. Turiaf as a backup and Bynum as our starter. I'd say keep Kwame another year. Package Cook and some other guys in the offseason. Keep Smush as backup PG when we find a starting PG that can drop it and defend it.

I would give Lamar another year to really do something for us as well. If we're not happy with him after next year we could spend our Grant money on somebody that would make a good package along with Odom for Garnett.

Question: Are we still trying to be Phil's Bulls?
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I think the guys that need to be shipped out are L. Walton, Brian Cook (for a two diminsional pf), Sasha, Slava, and Aaron Mckie. If we pick up a True PG with a great passing a ablity, and possibly a shot from the 3 point range....I think this team could be contenders, for a title.
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Panthas wrote:
I think the guys that need to be shipped out are L. Walton, Brian Cook (for a two diminsional pf), Sasha, Slava, and Aaron Mckie. If we pick up a True PG with a great passing a ablity, and possibly a shot from the 3 point range....I think this team could be contenders, for a title.

You've got a Turiaf Av. What have you seen of him so far? Does he look likw a 2 dimensional PF. And you make those 2 points clear.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: