Would you wear a Rudy Gay jersey?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject:

K8B_Flight wrote:
He should change his name

How about Rudy Guy?

No, he shouldn't. His name is just fine the way it is. Pretty sad state of affairs when someone with the last name 'Gay' gets giggled at by the peanut gallery like a bunch of 4th graders. I'm not certain why something like this still gets tolerated on this board, but it still seems to be okay to make fun of this particular group.

I'd ask a mod to further look at this in the future and to consider stopping it the same way you would a personal attack or a racist comment or anything of that nature - calling something you don't like 'gay', saying a particular player looks 'gay' - it's just pretty sad and needs to stop.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
K8B_Flight wrote:
He should change his name

How about Rudy Guy?

No, he shouldn't. His name is just fine the way it is. Pretty sad state of affairs when someone with the last name 'Gay' gets giggled at by the peanut gallery like a bunch of 4th graders. I'm not certain why something like this still gets tolerated on this board, but it still seems to be okay to make fun of this particular group.

I'd ask a mod to further look at this in the future and to consider stopping it the same way you would a personal attack or a racist comment or anything of that nature - calling something you don't like 'gay', saying a particular player looks 'gay' - it's just pretty sad and needs to stop.

It was just a joke dude. I wouldn't change my last name if it was (bleep). I have no problem with anything that is associated with the term "gay." I was just making a suggestion (for fun) because I know he's going to be an easy target once he reaches the NBA. Just a joke.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Who's making fun of the gay people? (okay, besides the few jokes)

I think it's a valid question: will his jersey sell like any good player's jersey would?

I don't think so.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:

I think it's a valid question: will his jersey sell like any good player's jersey would?

I don't think so.

I think you answered your own question. Is the question valid? Sure. But it's not the question I'm talking about. You said yourself "okay, besides the few jokes".

That said, I think you're correct - it won't sell like any good player's jersey. I think the jokes go a long way in answering that for us.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
shnjb wrote:

I don't think so.

I think you answered your own question. Is the question valid? Sure. But it's not the question I'm talking about. You said yourself "okay, besides the few jokes".

That said, I think you're correct - it won't sell like any good player's jersey. I think the jokes go a long way in answering that for us.

Well, not that it makes making fun of the gay people okay, but old people are also discriminated against in the US and it's socially acceptable to do so.

I didn't realize it until it was pointed out by a medical doctor at a seminar, who was giving presentation on elderly patients.

Simply put, there are many groups who are discriminated against besides the gay people, and while it's wrong, it's just part of this wonderful world that we live in that's full of imperfections.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

I know what you're saying but there's a huge difference. We're all going to be old, every one of us, or at least we all should hope to be old. Old people usually don't get bashed (physically) for being old. Old people don't have people drive by wherever it is that old people go and have people yell insults out the car window. Old people don't have to hide being old around the office/school for fear of retaliation or humiliation. Old people don't have to live in a closet. If a player's name was 'Old', people wouldn't question it - they'd buy the jersey and not think twice.

While it's true that all of us can be hard on old people, there is a huge difference in simply growing old, and living gay at any age.

All that said, at least you can acknowledge that there may be something wrong with it all.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. I hear you. I agree with everything you said.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
I know what you're saying but there's a huge difference. We're all going to be old, every one of us, or at least we all should hope to be old. Old people usually don't get bashed (physically) for being old. Old people don't have people drive by wherever it is that old people go and have people yell insults out the car window. Old people don't have to hide being old around the office/school for fear of retaliation or humiliation. Old people don't have to live in a closet. If a player's name was 'Old', people wouldn't question it - they'd buy the jersey and not think twice.

While it's true that all of us can be hard on old people, there is a huge difference in simply growing old, and living gay at any age.

All that said, at least you can acknowledge that there may be something wrong with it all.

Congrats, you've just invalidated all of your preachings. Old people are frequently victimized, whether it be by con men or cruel care-givers in rest homes. The real difference is that it's considered cool and politically correct to defend gays, even if you're straight. Old people have few allies, other than other old people.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject:

I was looking back on the humor in this thread. I've heard a lot of jokes over the years, and these are pretty mild compared to the ones we've all heard.

I don't think the bar for humor here in general has been set all that high. In fact its gotten pretty standard to thoroughly shred the lives and character of the players we allegedly root for here. The team and players we are here to root for are routinely and savagely attacked. In a lot of cases there are also plays on words. I don't find those offensive -- not all that clever sometimes -- but i guarantee someone's offended. These days, someone always is.

Quite frankly I do see humor in the situation. At the same time I recognize that its unfortunate, but someone who may turn out to be a very talented NBA player is going to be affected in terms of earnings for his name. Is that fair? No. Is it going to happen? Probably.

But in this case, the sensitivity of the subject will make people talk around it -- but off camera it'll happen.

Maybe it will actually end up doing something good. That by this situation coming up, needed social situations will be addressed.

When i say that I don't plan to be a crusader by wearing the jersey, I may be a part of the problem. But I'm not going to do it -- and thats an honest answer. I could sit here and say how terrible it will be that people don't wear the jersey and keep quiet about the part that I know i wouldn't either, but thats hypocrisy.

But it is a valid question. And believe me, when he goes lottery it'll come up - at least in the city he is drafted in. If he gains any measure of success it'll come up nationally.

I have not seen any jokes here that stem from hatred. I see jokes that stem from hatred all the time in other threads. I didn't watch the oscars. But no matter what happens there, I have no plans to watch Brokeback Mountain or Transamerica. I have nothing against those movies being made, but I have no personal interest in seeing them. Thats just an honest answer.

So while I saw a legitimate question, I also saw humor in the situation. It would bother me to know someone was truly offended by the humor, but how much humor out there isn't offensive to someone? If we want to remove any humor from here that could possibly offend someone, then there's going to be a lot of moderation needed. The threshhold thats been set is personal attacks of other posters, and that threshhold hasn't been remotely reached in here so far.

Last edited by drew4lakers on Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
unggoy wrote:

Congrats, you've just invalidated all of your preachings. Old people are frequently victimized, whether it be by con men or cruel care-givers in rest homes. The real difference is that it's considered cool and politically correct to defend gays, even if you're straight. Old people have few allies, other than other old people.

Wow. Since it happens to others, it must be okay since defending gays is simply considered cool and politically correct 'even if you're straight'. Talk about invalidation.

I don't think anyone said it's okay to con or bash old people. It's true, it happens, and that much was acknowledged, but the question wasn't about someone's name being 'Old'.

Again, the question about the jersey is a great question. But we wouldn't be having it if it was "Larry Old".
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:

How about Jerry Atriks?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
unggoy wrote:

Wow. Since it happens to others, it must be okay since defending gays is simply considered cool and politically correct 'even if you're straight'. Talk about invalidation.

I don't think anyone said it's okay to con or bash old people. It's true, it happens, and that much was acknowledged, but the question wasn't about someone's name being 'Old'.

Again, the question about the jersey is a great question. But we wouldn't be having it if it was "Larry Old".

It's not OK when it happens to others, which is my point. You rationalize attacks on old people because they're not victims of violent attacks, which in itself is a pretty lame reason.

The point of this thread was one of humor, and if you ever got off your sanctimonious soap box you would have seen the joke. They posters were not gay bashing, they were bashing to homophobic attitudes of the general public. Yet that didn't stop you from mounting that soap box and preaching.
Stylistic Stylez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:

too bad san francisco didnt have a basketball team then

Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject:

Stylistic Stylez wrote:
too bad san francisco didnt have a basketball team then
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
They'd sell a lot in San Francisco.

West Hollywood will sell some too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: