Another T for Kobe and Phil does nothing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Another T for Kobe and Phil does nothing

Warm Fuzzies wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
minervafilms wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
Phil should have gotten thrown out over that call. Wake the F up and stick up for your star...good grief!

What a load of nonsense. You think Phil is meant to give up two more free throws and risk us losing the game by getting thrown out because of a bad call on poor widdle Kobe? Kobe over the team: that's Groupie-ism at its finest.

In any case, the Lakers will ask the league to rescind the technical upon review, and it probably will be.

It's called supporting your star so the league isn't so inclined to call ridiculous flagrants (or were you fine with that 5 point swing on the road) Gosh, looks to me like other teams coaches go ape (bleep) when their players get the job. Not old Phil, he seems perfectly content to let the referees have at his superstar.

FACT: Kobe is dangerously close to being SUSPENDED because of referree intervention. FACT: Kobe has been suspended TWO games already for a bad call. Either the Lakers or Phil start to stick the F up for their players, or we can go at this thing without Kobe.

Calm down and go back and read the thread again.

FACT: Kobe has just as many techs as he did a month ago - 12. He would need to get 4 more to be suspended. If you consider 4 techs away from being suspended dangerously close, then wouldn't the fact that that number has not increased in that timeframe suggest that Kobe knows that and is conducting himself accordingly?

FACT: Kobe was suspended two games for a flagrant that he not only comitted, but practically bragged about after the game.

Phil getting tossed over a call that will most likely be overturned on Monday would serve no purpose whatsoever, unless you happen to be a Spurs fan.

Phil gets two techs, that turns the trip from a 5 point to a 7 point trip for the Spurs. The Lakers lead goes from 5 to 3 and now they have a close game in the dreaded 3rd quarter without their head coach. Do you really
Again, calm down and try to think rationally.

Don't recall Kobe bragging about a flagrant foul. But it brings up a much larger point here. Who is sticking up for Kobe? Who is playing the Rick Fox enforcer role? Who is chirping from the bench? You don't want Phil getting thrown out? How about a strongly worded quote to the press (He's got the dough to handle it) Again, this issue is about respect from the league and respect from opponents. If Kobe is going to go at this alone, he'll be suspended, injured, or just plain tired. Call it Kobeism, but without #8, I don't like our chances.

After Wednesday's game, Bryant was unapologetic. He was cut over his left eye early in the third quarter when Miller elbowed him while driving to the basket. Bryant left the game briefly, and took three stitches to close the wound.

"Any player that was going to come down the lane at that point in time, I was going to let him know that he just can't walk through there," Bryant said after the game. "I think we as a team have to do a better job of establishing that. And me, as a leader of the ballclub, I've got to take the initiative to do that -- and hopefully, everybody will see that.

"This being our home court, people come here and think it's Hollywood and all sorts of stuff, so they think they'll come down [the lane] and look pretty and shoot jump shots and dunk the ball and finger-roll the ball and do all sorts of cute stuff. And we've got to stop that."

Bryant said his postgame comments were "no different than what everybody else says."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2275494

I don't see anything wrong with what Kobe said...in fact, that's how we should play, we can't let anybody waltz in and hit game-winning layups (!!) while players move out of the way...like Odom flattening out Tony Parker, that was a message sent, sad though that it took the Lakers that long to send that message since by that time it was already a moot point.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."

Last edited by Drifts on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject:

Phil doesn't yell too much at the refs during the regular season. That way, when he does, it will actually mean something. How many times have we seen coaches argue and scream at the refs when everyone watching can tell it was a close call, or the correct call. Sometimes coaches do it to motivate their own team. Phil generally doesn't, so I don't blame him in this instance.

I do completely agree with the notion that a TEAMMATE needs to step up, and take that hard foul so that Kobe doesn't have to. Our bigs need to defend the paint, and if that means Tony Longoria and Bryan Adams, I mean Steve Nash need to taste some hardwood, so be it.

My high school caoach used to scream from the bench "Wood 'em up" if we were getting beat off the dribble by a midget. And he was right, you knock him down a couple times, and you don't see him driving the lane as often, and when he does, he's more likely to kick it out.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Phil doesn't yell too much at the refs during the regular season. That way, when he does, it will actually mean something. How many times have we seen coaches argue and scream at the refs when everyone watching can tell it was a close call, or the correct call. Sometimes coaches do it to motivate their own team. Phil generally doesn't, so I don't blame him in this instance.

I do completely agree with the notion that a TEAMMATE needs to step up, and take that hard foul so that Kobe doesn't have to. Our bigs need to defend the paint, and if that means Tony Longoria and Bryan Adams, I mean Steve Nash need to taste some hardwood, so be it.

My high school caoach used to scream from the bench "Wood 'em up" if we were getting beat off the dribble by a midget. And he was right, you knock him down a couple times, and you don't see him driving the lane as often, and when he does, he's more likely to kick it out.

Let me have my final say here. Many us are not concerned with the mounting T's and points accumulated by Kobe, but the fact remains that the league has already suspended Bryant and he missed two games, both losses, AGAINST UTAH! Yes, the very Utah right on our tails (Oh and last week Garnett was fined a whopping $5000 and NO SUSPENSION for hitting a fan in the face with a basketball in anger). Your superstar must be protected, whether it's Buss ala Mark Cuban, Phil ala Pat Riley or Pop, or another player on the Lakers stepping up and playing enforcer. Kobe is asked to do enough already, how about someone sticking up for the guy on the court and with the zebras?
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Another T for Kobe and Phil does nothing

OdomX2 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
minervafilms wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
Phil should have gotten thrown out over that call. Wake the F up and stick up for your star...good grief!

What a load of nonsense. You think Phil is meant to give up two more free throws and risk us losing the game by getting thrown out because of a bad call on poor widdle Kobe? Kobe over the team: that's Groupie-ism at its finest.

In any case, the Lakers will ask the league to rescind the technical upon review, and it probably will be.

It's called supporting your star so the league isn't so inclined to call ridiculous flagrants (or were you fine with that 5 point swing on the road) Gosh, looks to me like other teams coaches go ape (bleep) when their players get the job. Not old Phil, he seems perfectly content to let the referees have at his superstar.

FACT: Kobe is dangerously close to being SUSPENDED because of referree intervention. FACT: Kobe has been suspended TWO games already for a bad call. Either the Lakers or Phil start to stick the F up for their players, or we can go at this thing without Kobe.

Calm down and go back and read the thread again.

FACT: Kobe has just as many techs as he did a month ago - 12. He would need to get 4 more to be suspended. If you consider 4 techs away from being suspended dangerously close, then wouldn't the fact that that number has not increased in that timeframe suggest that Kobe knows that and is conducting himself accordingly?

FACT: Kobe was suspended two games for a flagrant that he not only comitted, but practically bragged about after the game.

Phil getting tossed over a call that will most likely be overturned on Monday would serve no purpose whatsoever, unless you happen to be a Spurs fan.

Phil gets two techs, that turns the trip from a 5 point to a 7 point trip for the Spurs. The Lakers lead goes from 5 to 3 and now they have a close game in the dreaded 3rd quarter without their head coach. Do you really
Again, calm down and try to think rationally.

Don't recall Kobe bragging about a flagrant foul. But it brings up a much larger point here. Who is sticking up for Kobe? Who is playing the Rick Fox enforcer role? Who is chirping from the bench? You don't want Phil getting thrown out? How about a strongly worded quote to the press (He's got the dough to handle it) Again, this issue is about respect from the league and respect from opponents. If Kobe is going to go at this alone, he'll be suspended, injured, or just plain tired. Call it Kobeism, but without #8, I don't like our chances.

Rick Fox took techs for Kobe?
Quote:
Let me have my final say here. Many us are not concerned with the mounting T's and points accumulated by Kobe, but the fact remains that the league has already suspended Bryant and he missed two games, both losses, AGAINST UTAH! Yes, the very Utah right on our tails (Oh and last week Garnett was fined a whopping $5000 and NO SUSPENSION for hitting a fan in the face with a basketball in anger). Your superstar must be protected, whether it's Buss ala Mark Cuban, Phil ala Pat Riley or Pop, or another player on the Lakers stepping up and playing enforcer. Kobe is asked to do enough already, how about someone sticking up for the guy on the court and with the zebras?

You're worried about Utah on our tails?
minervafilms
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Another T for Kobe and Phil does nothing

venturalakersfan wrote:

They could call a foul on every play in the NBA. Now wouldn't that be an exciting game? Several times last night Kobe drove to the lane, pushed Bowen with his free hand, then put up a jumper. How many of those offensive fouls were called? None. It goes both ways, take off the homer blinders and watch the games.

Exactly. Thankfully there's someone else here without Kobegoggles on. Bryant is officiated quite fairly for the most part, the recipient of calls both for and against him. He's going to the line more than ever before in his career, despite averaging an unbelievable 6.4 three attempts a game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: