Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Without rehashing, let's look at:

Baron Davis - Golden State was nothing without him and looks like nothing with him. I love B-Diddy's game, but it looks like he'd be here sucking up cap space while he and Kobe shot a combined 1,000 threes.

Carlos Boozer - Utah is 23-40 with Boozer in the lineup and 33-47 without him. He'd also suck up a ton of capspace for a very long time.

Jonathan Bender - Is he even in the NBA anymore?

Mitch gets a beating here regularly for being "asleep at the switch," but he actually may have learned a few things from The Logo. West's biggest fear was being caught in the "morass of the middle" - being good enough to be a lower echelon playoff team without having the means to become a championship team. Unlike a lot of teams with similar records, we'll have a lot of roster flexibility this and next summer, largely due to us NOT locking in long term deals to medium talent types and not picking up MLE guys to make us incrementally better (DA, AD, Swift, Watson, Spree).

It means that we'll have to suffer with this wildly inconsistent group this year, but at least we're not stuck in the Portland/Knicks mode where we're capped out forever and saddled with unmovable deals. I still think the "2007 Plan" is a myth, but I have to acknowledge that we will be in a position to do SOMETHING big in terms of player acquisition.

Whether we actually pull the trigger and get another legit superstar in here, however, is a different story.
BraveHeartII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, those are very interesting stats regarding Boozer. It doesn't surprise me, since bigs that don't play D generally have low impact, but I didn't think that it would apply to Boozer, considering his team play.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:

BraveHeartII wrote:
Hmm, those are very interesting stats regarding Boozer. It doesn't surprise me, since bigs that don't play D generally have low impact, but I didn't think that it would apply to Boozer, considering his team play.

It surprised me, too. Perhaps Boozer is another Fortson? Great boards numbers because he sacrifices playing position D to play the rebound? Or a Troy Murphy damages the team because he'll grab 12 boards and let his man score 30 mpoints?
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Good post. We were all panting for TMac just a few weeks ago and we'd be without a LOT of talent because of his injury if that fantasy trade went down. How are some of the other woulda shoulda couldas doing: Derek Anderson, Kapono, Antonio Daniels etc?

Last edited by targetman on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
Good post. We were all panting for TMac just a few weeks ago and we'd be without a LOT of talent because of his injury if that fantasy trade went down. How are some of the other woulda shoulda couldas doing: Derek Anderson, Kapono, Antonio Davis, etc?

True @ TMac. He's looking more like Grant Hill - chronic injury problems and a huge salary.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Baron might have worked well with Kobe. On the other hand, the Lakers were able to draft Bynum, because they didn't add Baron Davis.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
Baron might have worked well with Kobe. On the other hand, the Lakers were able to draft Bynum, because they didn't add Baron Davis.

We all think that Kobe might work well with Baron, but the raw facts are that B-Diddy is a career 40% FG shooter who, despite being able to get to the hoop whenever he wants, takes more 3's than FT's. Like Wince Carter, he was GIVEN away in trade because of his lousy attitude and (suspected) malingering.

Maybe it's a bum rap, but GS was expected to be a 5th/6th seed type of team this year, but they're not, despite strong seasons from Troy Murphy & JRich. That leaves B-Diddy as the scape goat.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:

The Boozer numbers are a little unfair because most of the game he played in last year were without Kirilenko, and when he went down, Kirilenko was back. Both guys have been injury-prone over the last two years and the Jazz have suffered badly because of it. Now's his chance to show that he really matters, if he can recover fully and crack back into the starting lineup.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

Speaking of injury prone. What about T-Mac? He's out five weeks.
PurpleHayz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:

Well Dr. Laker it's always easy to play "Monday Morning Quaterback." The famous cliches always come out after the fact such as your thread title. Another famous one would be "You don't make a trade just for the sake of making a trade." Although I do agree that some of the aforementioned players would have been bad moves for the Lakers (Anderson, Kapono) I'll give you that but the bottom line is this team still needs a couple of trades to be contenders again. Either Boozer or T-Mac would have put us more than a few steps closer imo.
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:

PurpleHayz wrote:
Well Dr. Laker it's always easy to play "Monday Morning Quaterback." The famous cliches always come out after the fact such as your thread title. Another famous one would be "You don't make a trade just for the sake of making a trade." Although I do agree that some of the aforementioned players would have been bad moves for the Lakers (Anderson, Kapono) I'll give you that but the bottom line is this team still needs a couple of trades to be contenders again. Either Boozer or T-Mac would have put us more than a few steps closer imo.

Boozer would make us closer, perhaps, but the chances of furthur improving the club would be lower because of his ridiculous salary.

And T-Mac is just not playing. I think it's safe to say that would be a step down, especially since his back has always been a problem.
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Dr. Laker wrote:

Baron Davis - Golden State was nothing without him and looks like nothing with him. I love B-Diddy's game, but it looks like he'd be here sucking up cap space while he and Kobe shot a combined 1,000 threes.

Carlos Boozer - Utah is 23-40 with Boozer in the lineup and 33-47 without him. He'd also suck up a ton of capspace for a very long time.

Mitch gets a beating here regularly for being "asleep at the switch," but he actually may have learned a few things from The Logo. West's biggest fear was being caught in the "morass of the middle" - being good enough to be a lower echelon playoff team without having the means to become a championship team. Unlike a lot of teams with similar records, we'll have a lot of roster flexibility this and next summer, largely due to us NOT locking in long term deals to medium talent types and not picking up MLE guys to make us incrementally better (DA, AD, Swift, Watson, Spree).

It means that we'll have to suffer with this wildly inconsistent group this year, but at least we're not stuck in the Portland/Knicks mode where we're capped out forever and saddled with unmovable deals. I still think the "2007 Plan" is a myth, but I have to acknowledge that we will be in a position to do SOMETHING big in terms of player acquisition.

Whether we actually pull the trigger and get another legit superstar in here, however, is a different story.

Disagree on both Baron Davis and Boozer. Just because Davis is playing poorly on Golden State doesn't mean he would not have fit with the Lakers. All it means is that he's suited to a complimentary role. Boozer would have been the guy to propel us to contender status. Considering 20.10 anyway you put it is still 20/10. Bender looks like it would have been a bad trade, but it might have landed us Granger. Granger off the bench is at least equal to George and gives us a nice looking future.

Davis is 50/50, Boozer I disagree with and Bender I agree with.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:

It's tough to say on BD since GS gave up almost nothing significant to get him. Yes, he makes a lot of money but his level of talent is and production is probably close to that salary.

I wouldn't have trade LO for Boozer, even if Boozer was healthy.

The Bender trade (if it even existed) was never about Bender. It was about the 1st round draft pick. I think Devean was one of the players discussed in that trade. Granted, Devean is playing better this season than I ever imagined he could but Danny Granger is already showing signs he's going to be a much better player.
LakerFan4Lyfe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:

I wish bird agreed to Deavon George for Ron Artest offer... our Defense would have been off the hook!!!
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Showtime_Returns wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Disagree on both Baron Davis and Boozer. Just because Davis is playing poorly on Golden State doesn't mean he would not have fit with the Lakers. All it means is that he's suited to a complimentary role. Boozer would have been the guy to propel us to contender status. Considering 20.10 anyway you put it is still 20/10. Bender looks like it would have been a bad trade, but it might have landed us Granger. Granger off the bench is at least equal to George and gives us a nice looking future.

Davis is 50/50, Boozer I disagree with and Bender I agree with.

1) Davis is injured all the time. He plays 50 games a season tops. He is not a healthy player period. Davis is almost as bad of a fit next to Kobe as Francis. That is 11 million dollars for 1/2 season.

2) Boozer is not 20/10. Maybe on a sorry Cavs team he was 18/9 but I doubt he will ever become a 20/10 PF. Those are almost KG numbers. After those injuries, Boozer is 14/8/1 role player with bad D and a bad contract. That is 11 million dollars for 1/2 season again.

3) Granger=George at best, and George has way better D. I'll take George off the bench over Granger. Atleast we don't have to reteach a player the triangle, just to put up George numbers. Remember George's upside was about the same as Grangers when he was drafted. Mid first round wing players are a dime a dozen. And we would have crippled Bender. Just say no to that deal.

The Lakers need help, but I rather build through the draft and FA. Not overrating and taking other teams how cost garbage, or overrated rookies. Give me Reshard Lewis or Gooden for the MLE over those players anyday.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: