Two first round picks or 5 playoff games? Which is more valuable?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Two first round picks or 5 playoff games? Which is more valuable?

Is it selfish to want the Lakers to make the playoffs just to play an extra four or five games? Or would getting that top 10 pick instead of losing it to Boston be better in the big picture? That's a tough one. Worse case scenario is barely making or missing the playoffs and still losing that pick....

Two first round picks with the first being able to pick up a good PG since the teams projected @ 1-9 need frontcout help more than backcourt help. With two first rounder, they can even be packaged to move up in a relatively weak draft and get a very good PG. Since it's a weak draft, if the Lakers lose their first rounder to Boston, then the draft isn't likely to yeild anything useful.

So which is better?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:

But if we tanked the rest of the season, does that even guarantee a top-10 worst record? I don't know about that...
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Two first round picks or 5 playoff games? Which is more valuable?

Aussiesuede wrote:
Is it selfish to want the Lakers to make the playoffs just to play an extra four or five games? Or would getting that top 10 pick instead of losing it to Boston be better in the big picture? That's a tough one. Worse case scenario is barely making or missing the playoffs and still losing that pick....

Two first round picks with the first being able to pick up a good PG since the teams projected @ 1-9 need frontcout help more than backcourt help. With two first rounder, they can even be packaged to move up in a relatively weak draft and get a very good PG. Since it's a weak draft, if the Lakers lose their first rounder to Boston, then the draft isn't likely to yeild anything useful.

So which is better?

The Lakers would basically have to lose out the season to finish in the bottom 10. This is not going to happen.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

How bout IB4TL?
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

uggg playoffs...go away tankers.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

K8B_Flight wrote:
But if we tanked the rest of the season, does that even guarantee a top-10 worst record? I don't know about that...

Right now the Lakers are 5 games away from the 10th worst record in the loss column. If they concentrated they'd easily make it!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Playoffs or bust. We play to win baby!!
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

K8B_Flight wrote:

Hey I always root for them to win. I'm just wondering how the feeling might be in mid June if we're looking back at a playoffs that was a 4-1 series loss to the Spurs and then have no real draft pick. I can just imagine the sting as Boston makes that 10th pick and it's someone who could have stepped right in for us. That would suck. Whether or not it would suck more than not making the playoffs? Hmmm I just don't know. Im undecide as to which would be the worse feeling at this point....
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:

You never know what might happen. When Dallas broke out they advanced to the second round. Losing teams worry about draft picks. Winning teams always choose to win. It would make the Lakers a favorable free agent destination.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:

i can understand how fans of other teams might feel that getting an extra draft pick is better than making the playoffs. as a laker fan, i can say without any reservation that it hurts FAAAAAAAR more to miss the playoffs.

i guess that's just the way it goes when you have won titles more often than you have missed the playoffs.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Buss would care.

2 or 3 home playoff games is millions of dollars in revenue.

That alone is the reason he is paying Jackson 10 million.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Buss guaranteed playoffs.

Plus, no way we can get our draft pick back now. We'd have to lose almost every game, and would have to convince Kobe and/or Lamar not to play any more (phantom injury).

We would not want to give up a chance for the playoffs and experience for a very low probability chance to keep our draft pick. We don't even have roster spots for 2 draft picks, let alone probably 1. Profit is coming back, so who would we cut?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

playoffs

a) this year's draft sucks. not worth tanking.

b) we already had our tank and our young prospect drafted.

c) the team needs to start getting playoff experience. that way, next year, the year after that etc.. they become more seasoned to play on that stage. the lakers are not going to win a championship for years. you gotta start at the bottom and work your way up.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Playoff experience doesn't mean crap i mean i don't wanna tank the season but look at Seattle.... or teams like Sacramento.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
Playoff experience doesn't mean crap i mean i don't wanna tank the season but look at Seattle.... or teams like Sacramento.

if you are referring to last year..seattle had a bunch of players working hard for new contracts. they also lost some key players and their coach.

sacramento was about as close as you can get to winning a championship. think about if robert horry doesn't make that shot? sacramento didn't win but they were a dangerous playoff team until they dismantled and came VERY VERY close. not everyone can win a title. even in the year where chris webber was hurt for the majority of the season, they still played extremely well and were one shot away from meeting us in the WCF (2003).

the playoffs are a different stage of competition in which everything is ratcheted up a notch. how you can say that playoff experience means nothing is beyond me.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Gaining experience is something you do when you're gonna keep you're unit for years half of this roster is not gonna be here come 2-3 years.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

...but the other half is.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
K8B_Flight wrote:

I can just imagine the sting as Boston makes that 10th pick and it's someone who could have stepped right in for us.

Well, you're probably going to feel even worse because I'm pretty sure that pick now belongs to Phoenix via Atlanta. The Celts traded a 2006 1st rounder to the Hawks for Toine and the Hawks traded that pick to the Suns for Joe Johnson. Boston owes Phoenix a 1st rounder, but it's the lower pick between theirs and ours.

Right now that pick is in the high teens.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Playoffs by a landslide.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: