OT: Amare to Play Tomorrow Night?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: OT: Amare to Play Tomorrow Night?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2380201

Phoenix Suns center Amare Stoudemire might make his season debut Thursday night against Portland in Phoenix.

He proclaimed himself "80-20" for the Portland game after the Suns practiced Wednesday. A final decision won't be made until game-time, but Stoudamire will be activated and in uniform for the game.

"If it feels good, then it's possible that I'll play [Thursday]," said Stoudemire, who is in his fourth NBA season. "The way it's feeling, it feels pretty good. I feel like I'm real close."

Stoudemire has missed the entire season after undergoing microfracture surgery Oct. 11 on his left knee. The 23-year-old first felt soreness in his knee during the offseason, and it worsened during the first week of training camp. The Suns announced at the time that Stoudemire would miss "approximately four months."

Last season, Stoudemire averaged 26 points and just under nine rebounds per game in 80 games for the Suns.
JuiceMonkey
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject:

i hope he does come back this season if we play the suns in the playoffs...a lot of people are probably thinking this will only make them instantly better, but we'll see. throwing such a big piece like that into a very successful team that has done great without him could be interesting to see. especially if he's not the same player he was prior, which is certainly to be expected. definitely a player to watch for, remember chris webber coming back late in the season with the kings a few years ago? everything instantly got screwed up and the kings were done for that season.
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Amare to Play Tomorrow Night?

raffi wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2380201

Phoenix Suns center Amare Stoudemire might make his season debut Thursday night against Portland in Phoenix.

He proclaimed himself "80-20" for the Portland game after the Suns practiced Wednesday. A final decision won't be made until game-time, but Stoudamire will be activated and in uniform for the game.

"If it feels good, then it's possible that I'll play [Thursday]," said Stoudemire, who is in his fourth NBA season. "The way it's feeling, it feels pretty good. I feel like I'm real close."

Stoudemire has missed the entire season after undergoing microfracture surgery Oct. 11 on his left knee. The 23-year-old first felt soreness in his knee during the offseason, and it worsened during the first week of training camp. The Suns announced at the time that Stoudemire would miss "approximately four months."

Last season, Stoudemire averaged 26 points and just under nine rebounds per game in 80 games for the Suns.

I predict he gets injured. Not necessarily tomorrow night but prior to the end of the season.

Call me crazy but something tells me this guy is done. Or at least he won't return to the form of old.

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

they are idiots. There position is claimed. rest him. that is a beast they dont want to turn into C-Web. Give him 5 minutes per in the 1st round.
They are fine with nash. they have domianted teams w/out him
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
they are idiots. There position is claimed. rest him. that is a beast they dont want to turn into C-Web. Give him 5 minutes per in the 1st round.

Agreed. They can play him Bynum-like minutes the rest of the reg season and maybe the 1st round. Just to get him in game shape. They won't be facing the spurs or the mavs until the WCF anyway, if they go through.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
bounty wrote:

Agreed. They can play him Bynum-like minutes the rest of the reg season and maybe the 1st round. Just to get him in game shape. They won't be facing the spurs or the mavs until the WCF anyway, if they go through.

I agree with you both in principal. If I wre the Suns FO, I'd actually hold him out the rest of the year (including the play-offs). Knees are not something you want to take to many risks on, especially when they belong to a fanchise player. But their thinking is probably that no matter how well they've done in the regular season in Amare's absence, they know that the Playoffs are a different beast. They realize they have to have that inside presence, especially when other teams take the air out of the ball and play a deliberate game. The Suns , IMO, are a lot like the "Greatest show on turf" rams of 4-5 years ago. They were awesome in the regular season, passing the ball around like it was the arena league. But the play-offs are different. teams will have had a whole season's worth of tape to study and gameplan against them. And the intensity of the opposing defenses will be double if not triple.

Without Amare, Phoenix wins one play-off series, maybe, and that's only if they get a good match-up in the first round. For years, that was the Mavs MO with Nash. If you can slow them down (without Amare), they aren't going anywhere.

SO I think that's what Phoeix is weighing: this might be the year for them if Amare comes back and get s some semblance of game legs under him before the play-offs start. Else, hold him out and go for it all next year.

I'd hold him out. I think Nash can put another two good years together after this one. Together with Marion and AMare, they could be the frontrunners next year.

SGH
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject:

As long as they dont cross paths with the Lakers i look forward to him coming back. The hoops lover in me just loved watching him play and anyone how gives major props to Kobe is alright by me.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Amare is the most dominant big man in the league. If he's healthy, the Suns just get more impossible to beat. Amare is Godzilla.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Unless he's nowhere near his 80% as the article states, he WILL make
Phoenix better.

Only marginally during the regular season, but he'll save them from the
smallball "dropoff" in the post-season.

I personally think for his own good he's probably better of just sitting out
the season, because even with him back - while they get better - they're
still a short-draw against the Spurs if Duncan is anywhere near healthy.

As far as our potentially facing the Suns, we do NOT want Amare in the
lineup if he's even 80%. That team does NOT need a ton of time to
integrate "new" pieces - we've seen that all this season.

Chris Mihm = our only legit offsensive low-post threat

Amare = instant foul-trouble for the already foul-prone Mihm

Stoudamire being back in a Suns uni only makes our chances in a Suns
matchup even more dreadful.
4 Pointer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:

They got pounded inside and on the boards by Boozer and company last night..
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:

I was desparate enough, to grab Amare up, for my fantasy team. I was lured in, by some of the most recent reports... I'm hoping that he'll catch fire, but I know he's going to have to start off slow.

Someday, I hope the Lakers have a chance at Amare, when he's 100%... Actually, we might have had more of a chance at him, when he was out with injuries.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:

tenguygrst wrote:
i hope he does come back this season if we play the suns in the playoffs...a lot of people are probably thinking this will only make them instantly better, but we'll see. throwing such a big piece like that into a very successful team that has done great without him could be interesting to see. especially if he's not the same player he was prior, which is certainly to be expected. definitely a player to watch for, remember chris webber coming back late in the season with the kings a few years ago? everything instantly got screwed up and the kings were done for that season.

Exactly. Amare coming back, so late in the game, is going to make a couple of those guys take a backseat. Most likely, their 2nd most important piece, Boris Diaw's, impact will lessen. His ability to play a combo PG & C for them, even on D is invaluable. He, alone, has made that team a better Defensive team just cause he actually rotates and stays active on D. Amare hurts their Defense and, may in fact, the Offense, as well.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
tenguygrst wrote:

Exactly. Amare coming back, so late in the game, is going to make a couple of those guys take a backseat. Most likely, their 2nd most important piece, Boris Diaw's, impact will lessen. His ability to play a combo PG & C for them, even on D is invaluable. He, alone, has made that team a better Defensive team just cause he actually rotates and stays active on D. Amare hurts their Defense and, may in fact, the Offense, as well.

Negative. The last thing any team in the league should want to see is Amare coming back. Even at 80% he would make the Suns unstoppable. This isn't a ball dominating shot chucking player. He already knows the system and I don't see any reason why he won't intigrate in. As for defence Amare ain't great, but he doesn't make the Suns defence worse.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject:

With amare in the lineup im not scared because Kwame should be able to limit him. But we really need to play rough in our next 2 meeting with them. I think Nash needs to be knocked on his arse a few times & see how he responds
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Amare hurts their Defense and, may in fact, the Offense, as well.

are you serious?
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject:

THE_BUTLER_DID_IT wrote:
With amare in the lineup im not scared because Kwame should be able to limit him. But we really need to play rough in our next 2 meeting with them. I think Nash needs to be knocked on his arse a few times & see how he responds

Im as big a fan there is w/ kwames post defense.
But no one can guard amare.... (pre surgery)
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Showtime_Returns wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
tenguygrst wrote:

Negative. The last thing any team in the league should want to see is Amare coming back. Even at 80% he would make the Suns unstoppable. This isn't a ball dominating shot chucking player. He already knows the system and I don't see any reason why he won't intigrate in. As for defence Amare ain't great, but he doesn't make the Suns defence worse.

Yes he does make them worse defensively. Diaw+Marion frontcourt is so quick and intense, teams don't get easy shots. Amare gives up on plays if he isn't able to get the block. He's a horrible defender.

On offense, he's only great at setting picks, hitting jumpshots and dunking. Consider the fact that at 80% he's not gonna be explosive, the dunking and "going right" off the dribble isn't a problem for defenses either. When he's got the ball, he's not able to find the open man, no matter where the open man is. Diaw is EXPLOSIVE, VERY good off the dribble, money from 15', AND able to play PG from the Center postion. So when they run the Nash/Diaw P&R, EITHER player is able to shoot it, get a layup, or find the open man, be it Nash off the pick or Diaw off the roll.

I can't begin to count how many times James Jones or Raja Bell have been left open for the corner Three-ball, simply because teams clog the pain to stop penetration off of the Diaw/Nash P&R.

Unless Amare is that same player he was last year, he's going to either NOT "fit" or he's going to force them to change their style of offense. They've become a GREAT shooting team. Diaw's ability to pass as well as a PG and still play C is the VERY reason those jumpshooters get so many open looks.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
astrallionheart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject:

He can just play as the "last guy in the offense" for the Suns. The guy who hides in the corner waiting for the jumpshot. Aka James Jones, Tim Thomas...and hell, I'm sure they want him AT C over Tim Thomas. I see Amare being the replacement for Kurt Thomas in the offense. If he's not 100% even better, he can split time with Kurt (when he gets back).
nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject:

Hopefully for his sake because I love the way he plays that he's not coming back too soon. But for our sake hopefully he has the Webber affect, which is a very strong possibility. Because he is their #1 scoring option.

The Spurs will never live up to the dynasty we created
stopthiZ8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Suns will beat Spurs or Mavs... Mavs can d up better then Suns. And Suns are the same team as last years with couple of player changes. That style can't win you a championship.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: