Lamar Odom on his new role on the team
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Lamar Odom on his new role on the team

Quote:
Under Jackson, Odom will return to more of the role he had when he broke out with the Clippers.

"I'm looking forward to it because in Miami, it was like, 'We know you could handle the ball and make plays' and Pat always liked me because I was a big guard, but it was like, 'We've got Dwyane [Wade] and we need to put 30 pounds on you and have you just defend,' " Odom said, adding that Jackson is encouraging him to handle the ball and use his quickness.

"I'm looking forward to that. I'm looking forward to taking back my claim as the most versatile player in the league by handling the ball and taking guys off the dribble and making ankle-breaking moves. I want that title back."

Ultimately, the rest of the league serves as judge and jury as to whether such titles are returned and the parallels to Pippen are valid.

Longtime NBA coach Hubie Brown, now an analyst for ABC, called Pippen "one of the most underrated players ever to play in the league" because of his defense, fastbreak finish and rebounding.

"So when you say Lamar Odom's going to be Scottie Pippen, whoa, wait a second," Brown said. "Let's have Lamar Odom go to the next level and that he plays to his potential for 82 games, rather than 50 or 60, all right? Let him excel and let's see him go to the next level, meaning that, hey, we can count on you every night in the big ones, rather than be selective."

LA Times Link here
bumrusherer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject:

nice comments from lamar... real talk from hubie.
AmoebaD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject:

*142*

Hey, Screw Deron and Felton; there are your two guards: Lamar and Kobe...!

Let's concentrate on getting a couple of impact bigs, i.e. long armed, athletic, good rebounders. People to do all the dirty-work.

You Can't Always Get What You Want
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject:

"I'm looking forward to that. I'm looking forward to taking back my claim as the most versatile player in the league by handling the ball and taking guys off the dribble and making ankle-breaking moves. I want that title back."

I LIKE THAT KINDA TALK.....YOU TELL'EM ODOM!!!!!!!
roflwtflolomg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:

go odom
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Hubie Brown is one of the best analyst. He tells it like it is.
Cardom
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject:

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~25388~2926743,00.html

Another Odom/Phil article.
cr8zy0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject:

i like his words
Jackson
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject:

I want to hear Odom speak of stepping up his defense, not ankle breaking moves. It's great that he is going to focus on being aggressive, we need that too, but more than anything I want Odom to dedicate himself on the defensive end. He is so long and quick that he has the physical attributes to be a real stopper, but his defensive mental determination has to match that.

Next season has to be all about defense, DEFENSE, Kobe gives us enough ankle breakers.

I also hope Caron works on changing his direction when taking the ball to the hoop. I don't want to see his usual 2 offensive fouls for running the opposing player over when all he had to do was shift to his left or right for the easy layup.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject:

Odom rebounded very well for the Lakers last season, better than I had hoped in my wildest dreams.

His defense was not good and his offensive game could use a lot of work (does he have any move other than the left handed drive with the soft finish and requisite charging foul on the flop?) but overall, he is long and lanky and fairly athletic and somewhat interesting in that he forever teases with his upside.

It will be interesting to see if Phil Jackson can help raise his game. I hold out hope for Lamar Odom, with a big bulky player helping him out inside, he definitely can do some damage. And the Lakers went into the tank once he got hurt, he was arguably more key than Kobe to last year's team because he was the only guy who could clear a rebound, ever.
Languistic01
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"I know what this organization is capable of," Odom said, "from watching afar being over there with the Clippers for all those years. I never got down. Me and Kobe and Caron and Chucky (Atkins) and all the guys are real excited to get started again."

NO!!!!..no chucky please

I like Odoms comments but they are just words as of right now. He needs to come out and play aggressively every game, every minute for me to be convinced. Maybe it's just his natural demeanor to be so laid back or just his stoner habits 8)
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject:

Hubie is old school and keeps it real...not a blowhard like John A. Doe.
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject:

Phil is going to bring the best out of Lamar!

I'm now going to invest in a nice #7 jersey!!! Cause I now know he's going to be here for a while!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject:

My only concern would be the times that I've seen Odom sort of "space-out", and lose his concentration. There's alot more to ball-handling duties, than athletic abilities, and eye/hand coordination.

Frankly, I would rather have a quick, smart guard handle the ball. I wouldn't mind Lamar being one of the main "go-to" guys, at the 3. Only time will tell, if my concerns are valid, or not. Phil knows what he's doing, more than I do...
HRE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject:

Hubie's the man.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Odom rebounded very well for the Lakers last season, better than I had hoped in my wildest dreams.

His defense was not good and his offensive game could use a lot of work (does he have any move other than the left handed drive with the soft finish and requisite charging foul on the flop?) but overall, he is long and lanky and fairly athletic and somewhat interesting in that he forever teases with his upside.

It will be interesting to see if Phil Jackson can help raise his game. I hold out hope for Lamar Odom, with a big bulky player helping him out inside, he definitely can do some damage. And the Lakers went into the tank once he got hurt, he was arguably more key than Kobe to last year's team because he was the only guy who could clear a rebound, ever.

I agree 100%, Lanny.

I like how you said Lamar is only fairly athletic.
Because that is just very true; LOL at idiots who think Lamar is as athletic and talented as KG.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject:

^^^
Who made comparisons between Lamar and KG athletically?

I don't recall anyone making that.

People did say he's one of those kind of do it all players.

When he was in Miami, he was a 17-9-4 player and there was only ONE other player in the NBA to have 17+ 9+ 4+ and that was KG.

Ofcourse LO isn't KG. Even his game is different. LO's a guard with Forward length, and KG's a high post/perimeter forward with Center length. KG's explosive and a freak of nature (like Lebron) while Lamar's an above average athlete.

It's only in unselfishness and rebounding/assist numbers that some draw the comparison.

Hell, imo LO's not even Chris Webber yet.

But what LO has over all of those guys is his guard abilities. He would destroy any of those guys one on one, offensively. But ofcourse also get owned defensively for lack of strength which is why he will probably be moving to 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kbmvp05
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject:

go lamar!
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject:

If Odom were to lose some of that weight Riley had him put on... we'd notice a significant difference in his game. Please, please, please Jerry, Jimmy, Mitch, Phil... get us a banger down low.
kbmvp05
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject:

I hope he's not putting weight while recuperating due to his shoulder surgery
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject:

kbmvp05 wrote:
I hope he's not putting weight while recuperating due to his shoulder surgery

I'm sure his hsoulder is not preventing him from running. Just lifting weights. Which should keep the bulk off. Odom will be lethal in the triangle at the SF. All he needs is a consistant 19-21 footer, and he will be lights out.
kbmvp05
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:

Because that is just very true; LOL at idiots who think Lamar is as athletic and talented as KG.

Nobody said that here

Lamar is VERY athletic for his size
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^^^
Who made comparisons between Lamar and KG athletically?

I don't recall anyone making that.

People did say he's one of those kind of do it all players.

When he was in Miami, he was a 17-9-4 player and there was only ONE other player in the NBA to have 17+ 9+ 4+ and that was KG.

Ofcourse LO isn't KG. Even his game is different. LO's a guard with Forward length, and KG's a high post/perimeter forward with Center length. KG's explosive and a freak of nature (like Lebron) while Lamar's an above average athlete.

It's only in unselfishness and rebounding/assist numbers that some draw the comparison.

Hell, imo LO's not even Chris Webber yet.

But what LO has over all of those guys is his guard abilities. He would destroy any of those guys one on one, offensively. But ofcourse also get owned defensively for lack of strength which is why he will probably be moving to 3.

Many have said it.
I don't recall you saying it, however.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject:

kbmvp05 wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Nobody said that here

Lamar is VERY athletic for his size

Compared to civilians? Yes.
Compared to Brian Cook? Yes.

Compared to KG, Stoudemire, Dalembert, Stromile Swift, Tyson Chandler, etc etc...? Not even close.
What about compared to SF's? Don't even go there.

What Lamar does have is length and extraordinary passing and dribbling skills for a 6'10" guy.
That's it.
bumrusherer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:

What Lamar does have is length and extraordinary passing and dribbling skills for a 6'10" guy.
That's it.

he also has the abilty to get to the hole at will, even though everyone knows he is going left.
gotta love that
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: